[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal and Business Management books.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (972KB, 1345x1550px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
972KB, 1345x1550px
Hello /biz/
Yes, another book recommendation thread. But, I'm hoping we can narrow the scope to books promoting personal management as well as management theories in the work environment.

Most of the book topics I've seen on here are about building financial knowledge and wealth, but I'm looking more for books about building knowledge on topics such as emotional intelligence, time management, communication techniques etc.

Clear as mud? Hopefully my narrative makes sense! Cheers.
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 305x482px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 305x482px
Old standard.
>>
>>1459715
Not trying to dissuade anyone from reading books, but I think for the kind of stuff you're talking about the best practice is... well to practice.

I actually would suggest for the emotional intelligence and communication stuff, take up an acting class for a couple of months. It'll help you work on your body language, your diction and vocal projection, but also one thing they teach you in acting is how to really analyze language, and play with something. You can take the same sentence, the same words and make it mean many different things.

As for time management:
>GTD by David Allen
I haven't read it but I've seen a lot of his lectures and it's light on the pseudo-science.

>7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Read part of it, it's full of fluff. the main take outs for me were:
>Always think in terms of mutual benefit instead of competitively
>"Keep Sharpening the saw", whatever your skill set is, don't let it get rusty, constantly be working on it and improving it.
This is a good insight:
>"You can find a clue to whether you now have the proactive habit by looking at how you speak. Do you find yourself using these expressions? “That’s the way I am.” There’s nothing I can do about it. “He makes me so mad!” My emotional life is outside my control. “I have to do it.” I’m not free to choose my own actions. For all of us, there are many things that concern us that we can’t do anything about, for now. But there are also things we can do. Proactive people work on their circle of influence - the people and things they can reach - and spend less energy on their much wider circle of concern. By keeping their focus on their circle of influence, they actually extend its area. As you become more proactive, you will make mistakes"
>>
File: 7Habits.png (34KB, 300x308px) Image search: [Google]
7Habits.png
34KB, 300x308px
I also forgot, for emotional intelligence look into:
Transactional Analysis by Eric Berne

Interesting little book that seems to over simplify human nature into a series of games, and three archetypes: Adult, Parent, Child. It's really useful tool to think of certain situations, and once you start reading the book you'll start seeing these situations appear all the time.

>>1459851
Now having said this, I suck, SUCK at time management so if anyone can suggest something that gives some workable techniques, I'd be very grateful.

Where I think I failed to gain anything from GTD was because I can't prioritize.
GTD is great if you know what you want to do, and by "know" I mean "know how" you will do it step by step. It has great advice like:
>"Anything you can finish in the next 2 minutes, do it NOW"

But the bigger picture stuff, prioritizing is where it was of no help.
And this is also where 7 Habits failed to help me, it's got this great thing about quadrants.
However, deciding urgency, evaluating if something needs my attention now or if it can wait is where I just fail horribly.

>Sorry for the blog. But this is my personal experience with this literature, your mileage may vary.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.