[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it so hard to make money as a software developer by yourself?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1447800692248.jpg (357KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1447800692248.jpg
357KB, 1600x1200px
Why is it so hard to make money as a software developer by yourself?
>>
>>1459079
there's a lot of competition and you're probably not that skilled

To make a really groundbreaking project that beats professional teams where each member has more experience than you is very hard
>>
>>1459079
Because you are going up against companies that have more money then you, more people working for them that are more skilled and have successful business models.

Why should I wait a year for you to produce X when Y company has 50 people that produce it in 2 weeks time?
>>
>>1459079

It isn't. I make 70/hr contracting and I only have a years experience.
>>
>>1459079
You lack motivation.
>>
You need to find someone like me that has an agency. Someone who hires freelance developers for projects they source.
>>
>>1459158
what kind of stuff do you do? what part of the world are you in?

i'm a newb app developer doing a project for myself, but i'm interested in what other people do and what they make.
>>
>>1459998
well, first tell us what project are you doing yourself, and other people will open up to you. I am part of a team who develop a mobile app, you will use it for sure.
>>
>>1460050
i am developing an app for language learners to learn a 2nd language. i have it wireframed and storyboarded and have content, for all thats worth. i am currently just trying to code it in swift, but as this is my first app that i'm doing by mayself it is quite a long process.

i took a 'learn swift' course which was very helpful as previously all i knew was html, but trying to work through it is time consuming. not impossible, just long.

at first the app will be for iOS as its written in swift. then i'll have to figure out how to convert into Android as most of the user base will be using android. it seems like a bit of a mistake but i imagined before i started that swift would be easier and i have iOS devices so i could try out different apps i made on them.

i have other, easier apps that i have wireframed but wouldn't really be any good at making money, so i decided to skip right onto the one that i think can make money. language apps exist already, i use memrise myself, but my idea is different (isn't everybody's).

there is no real graphical elements that i can't manage from my own experience, so i will be able to complete it, probably with lots of googling and stackoverflow.
>>
>>1460301
so duolingo but shittier?
>>
>>1459079
>Why is it so hard to make money as a software developer by yourself?
Because most projects require more than one person, meaning you need to go get hired by someone who has more than one programmer on staff.

There's always money freelancing, but it's hard to find discrete projects involving software dev.
>>
>>1459163
do those freelancers get hired to work 9-5 at the client's office, or do they get to get to work remotely from their own location?

Im an experienced backend/fullstack webdev and have a client and an opportunity with a firm in the coming month but having an agency with suitable freelance remote jobs would be great.

may move from amsterdam to california if i can get that going
>>
>>1459158
What's the normal/average rate ($/hr) for somebody that's just starting (trying to break into) software freelancing? What site do you use to find customers?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.