[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Credit card in college?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: contactedchina.jpg (176KB, 600x691px) Image search: [Google]
contactedchina.jpg
176KB, 600x691px
Should I get a credit card as a college sophomore and start building up my credit early?
>>
>>1457265
sure why not

i got one at 18, i use it once every few months
>>
>>1457269
Any recommendations?
>>
>>1457265
>>1457269
>>1457274
Yeah, don't try to build credit with a measly credit card. Are you or your parents part of a credit union? If so, there's ways to can make out a loan literally to yourself, through the union or a trust or whatever, in order to simply pay off small interest rates on a loan you gave yourself. The union gets to keep the interest, but you keep the loan from yourself and in turn pay to build up credit. Alternatively, take out a loan with minimal interest rates from a bank or something, wherever you can find the smallest rates. Keep the money in the bank and simply pay off the interest without spending the money. You're paying to build credit, name of the game, and you can get a good score if you simply pay off the loan within X amount of time. I suggest keeping it 3-6 months. If you don't like where you got, just do it again.
>>
>>1457274
None.

Just get whatever basic card you can get (I got from my bank with a $1000 credit limit at first). Build some credit then apply for more credit and eventually get better cards with good rewards.
>>
File: 1469757036052.jpg (482KB, 1000x1926px) Image search: [Google]
1469757036052.jpg
482KB, 1000x1926px
>>1457265
Make sure your FICO score is baller! ;)
>>
Get an Amex Blue Everyday whatever the fuck.

Only use it to buy gas, groceries, snacks, etc. Basically, anything you buy anyways or with pocket cash. Buy your videogames and whatnot with cash you have in the bank.

Pay it off the FIRST day the billing cycle ends. It will say it's due the 28th, but you'll pay it on the 4th. Just to guarantee you don't fuck yourself with budgeting.

Cash out your rewards points in Amazon gift cards.
>>
>>1457284
Is Discover good?
>>
>>1457284
Just to start building credit? Why? OP just get a secured line of credit from your bank. You give them X amount of dollars, they give you a credit card with a limit for that amount. Treat it like a charge card and pay it off every month.
>>
>>1457284
Assuming he has student loans thats already covering what you are talking about. No one worth a damn takes out a loan just to build credit unless their credit is already shit. Why pay interest for no reason thats dumb.

Get a credit card from a local credit union OP, get used to paying it in FULL every month meaning if you were broke you wouldn't use your credit card to buy bullshit you can't afford. After a year or so apply for some reward cards. You'll have a good score by the time you are graduated and ready to buy a car or house.
>>
>>1457309
>Just to start building credit?
Because the end-goal seems to be to get a decent car/house loan.
>>1457316
>No one worth a damn takes out a loan just to build credit
You give yourself a loan through a credit union at an extremely low amount, usually 1-3%. I wouldn't mind paying next to nothing in interest in order to build credit to get great car/house loans in the future.
>>
>>1457265

Yes.

but TREAT IT LIKE A DEBIT CARD. Don't spend more than you have and pay the balance every single month.

Just get one of the basic cashback cards. Stop by your bank and they will set it up in like 10 minutes.
>>
>>1457265
why not? if you have the self control to pay it off every month.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.