[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is collecting old coins a good hobby to have? I have multiple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

Is collecting old coins a good hobby to have? I have multiple from the 1800s and 1900s but i'm just wondering if it will all be worth it in the end when I sell or should I just keep them for historical value?

Pic related.
>>
>>1455870
it doesn't seem to be all that profitable from what I can tell, though coins don't really lose their value either

if you're going to collect coins do it because you like the history or find them aesthetically pleasing, don't do it to make money
>>
File: 1296596414787.jpg (134KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
1296596414787.jpg
134KB, 333x500px
>>1455882
This.

Vintage coins are not very volatile. They're a buy & hold sort of thing for the pleasure of history and numismatics in general.

Your best chance of seriously profiting from coins is if you bought a ton of them and then for some unforeseeable reason, production sharply halted.

The 1933 double eagle is so expensive simply because of FDR's executive order that halted the production of them, save for two official coins to be kept in official storage (Smithsonian I think). Ten escaped the mint illegally, but nine have been seized. The other one was auctioned for millions.

Edward VIII sovereigns should have appreciated considerably as well, solely because he abdicated unexpectedly, serving as emperor for less than a year. This made the supply of bullion bearing his face extremely scarce.

You can't really predict these things. Buying precious metal ETFs is better for speculating, and holding Canadian Maple Leaves with abrasions is the cheapest way to get to the gold spot if you're into that.
>>
>>1455898
Is there some website to find out the worth of my coins or do I need to see some sort of expert?
>>
>>1456012
you can get a general idea based on googling the coin and seeing what others are selling it for, but you'll need an appraiser to rate the coin's condition
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.