[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Science jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Hey /biz/. Do you have any advice for someone with a CS degree who didn't care very much in school(barely passed with a 2.1 GPA), didn't care very much about work (no work experience prior to graduating), and after over a year of looking for work, finally landed a job that's currently paying 50k/yr. It sounded amazing while I was desperately looking for work, but after having a couple of years under my belt, I was hoping to break into that 80k/yr range at a different job.

My current work is more or less a dead end job. There are people there who's been there for 10+ years and doing what I was taught to do the few weeks, and I doubt they're making that much more money than I am.

If I could go back, I would and do it all over again, but unfortunately, this is where I find myself in life at the moment. Does anybody currently in the field have any advice on how to land one of those better paying CS jobs? I want to move into 6 figures eventually, but I imagine that's a few more years down the line.
>>
>>1454356
>6 figures
I know what you need.
>kneepads
>>
>>1454419

Was hoping to save that for plan B
>>
I don't know OP but I have the same goal as you of reaching 6 figures, and I am going into my second year.
I didn't really give a shit in my first year and it was felt, I plan on studying at least 1 hour every day extra aside from classes, and taking an year internship before my final year.
If you have any advice, what you would have done instead of what you did.
I wish I could help somehow, I say just lie saying that you have the requirements that the better paid positions ask for. At the end of the everything is a meme that you can learn in the first few weeks if someone shows you around, as long as you are not a pilot.
>>
>>1454356

what's your job, I'm currently in the same problem but with a 2.3 and am desperately looking for a job, night just settle with a call center to build help desk experience to get into it.
>>
>>1454356
Those better paying CS jobs usually want people who aren't fuckups.
>>
>>1454628

Your GPA really super matters. As a new hire, almost all of the recruiters I talked to asked me about it and immediately stopped being interested when I told them how low it is.

Most of them also asked if I do some programming on the side. Join some open source project online that makes something and explain how you've contributed. Luckily, I have this on my belt, which is probably why I'm currently working in the first place.

>>1454638

I'm a form's programmer. Some programming skill is required, but I'm literally working along aside people who don't even have any programming degree, doing the same job.

Unless you're super desperate and need money immediately, I would still hold up and push for a job that would meaningfully contribute towards a better, future job. While I was still looking, I turned down every customer service job that came my way. When looking for my next job, I'll be able to say I was a programmer at my previous job, which should make a lot of difference.

On the other hand, the bigger the gap in your resume, the worst your resume will look, making it harder to get hired. It's a trap that's hard to get out of.

>>1454688

I already know that. I still want to obtain it though. I have a future I need to build.
>>
>>1454356
do what you love op study hard and work smartly and do the right thing trust in urself and god and the universe and society and u can get rich in no time OP
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.