[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Motherfucking Capsim is impossible to win.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 8a4.jpg (30KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
8a4.jpg
30KB, 316x202px
I'm currently going through free practice simulations (I can do as many as I like until Monday), but every single FUCKING time I make huge losses after one round and need massive emergency loans.

I have tried it about 10 times now - each simulation I get an emergency loan within at least two rounds, no matter how conservative my spending is. Fuck this game.

Anyone played Capsim before? Tips?

I've tried the Niche Differentiator strategy and Niche Cost leader and each time I get shit results. I'm going to try the other four next.
>>
>shilling pay2play software this hard
>>
>>1452743

Nigga Capsim is used in business schools around the world. I was asking for tips on how to win since its a simulation you play with a group against the rest of the class.
>>
>>1452759
>It's a really GOOD PRODUCT
>just dropping this game by, so hard lol
>>
What is this? We played a Game once where you had to form groups and you all had the same business/product. You competed each week against eachother taking into account different market situations and regulations when making decissions.

The teachers idea was that everyone used all the different models, theories and business approaches to make decissions.

We just used common sense and were done within 15 minutes. Made fucking bank and finished first with the biggest profit.

Teacher refused to acknowledge our glorious victory because we didn't use his own wishy washy theories.

Never got the bottles of wine he promised the winners either.
>>
>>1452774
Btw he gave first place to some team running everything through various models and analysis. Figuring they just made a mistakes somewhere and it should have worked.

They didn't make a mistake. They went for some weird Apple inspired pricing system, making their product cost more than twice as much as the competitors.

That doesn't work with homogenous products and heavy competition. They spiralled into loss and debt.

B b but the models!

I still feel cheated.
>>
>>1452732
holy shit, something I can contribute to

>recent grad from top tier b school in province
>fucked around, average grades (3.8)
>only did well in capsim

it's really fucking easy -

1. Learn to forecast properly. Like, take the data from practice rounds and see if you can derive your own system (exact formulae don't work, Capsim can be changed on backend). I liked to use sales*cap+expected company shrink/growth*mktgrowth for ease of use
2. leverage leverage leverage in the early game
3. Don't be a fuckwit with your money - invest in something that actually does something for you (Diff -> R&D Times, Cost -> Mats + Lab costs + Automation)
4. Do NOT FUCK UP YOUR INDUSTRY (until the end, I guess)- You can easily box out everyone else and undercut them when labour negos kick in, but you stop the growth of the pie and can't get enough $$ to do shit. inb4zerosum game, you can't acquire other companies (at least not in the v. I plated)
5. Just look at your goddamn finance page and see what your spending is and check to see if it makes sense
>muh c-conservative spending
relative to what? this game is designed to make every worthwhile non TQM investment cost all of your $$$ and time. so if
> sick, I'm making $1.5 profit next year, even with this plant update
lol no you're not you fuck, check your forecasting
6. Max out accessibility + awareness, min MTBF where it matters FIRST, then just maintain and don't forget to tone it down later

--

I wish I had pics, I don't think I took end results screens. I've won 3 times, slaughtered my competition (stock was at 150-200, with next person at 70-110) with Broad Cost, Niche Cost and Niche Diff. It's all the same shit, just different #s of products.

>but why didn't you enter the super special world tournament

missed the deadline for registering every year ayy, i can make $400 easier at work for the amount of time spent lol

>>1452774
I won a case of beer lol

capsim sucks it's not practical zz good luck
>>
>>1452732
>>1452868
also, i've never had an emergency loan, I make fun of people who do

there was one faggot that actually thought that it was a way to cheat the system and get more $$ early

dumpstered his ass, he came 6th/5 real people kekerino

don't incur any e loans
>>
>>1452868

Thanks m8. Can you elaborate and re-word on this? Dif?

>3. Don't be a fuckwit with your money - invest in something that actually does something for you (Diff -> R&D Times, Cost -> Mats + Lab costs + Automation)

Also promo and sales - how much? I've been doing like $2K and $2.5, or $1.5 and $2K at first but I feel its too much.

What about LT debt? Should I just issue like $20K at the start when I make upgrades? I never go over $10K.
>>
File: nick-young-confused-face.png (161KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
nick-young-confused-face.png
161KB, 505x431px
>>1452868

>I liked to use sales*cap+expected company shrink/growth*mktgrowth for ease of use

Elaborate please.
>>
>>1453019
>(Diff -> R&D Times, Cost -> Mats + Lab costs + Automation)

Differentiation strategy = Invest in things that will make your product updating cycles easier/faster. You'll need to keep your product in good standing to sell

Cost Leadership -> Self explanatory, invest in things that reduce your cost and win by volume

>>1453026
Forecast your next round's sales to keep yourself afloat. Multiply:

Sales (Total in whatever relevant markets, low tech, high tech, etc. I don't know how complex your sim is set up, it varies from 2 - 10+ markets)

Multiply sales by

Capitalization + Your Company's growth/loss (use the courier to figure this out, it shows your position in a market by %. Figure out how well you are doing, and how much your tryhard/pothead competitors will gain and lose, but don't get too into it. Keep it simple, +-2% usaully, this score is relative. Example:

>18% of low end
>2 major players (22%,20%), rest are shit
>m-muh product will be the b-best next round :)

Ok, so increase your market share by 2-4% depending on how confident you are that your product is going to be the shit. Remember, there's no loyalty - customers will buy their ideal product until they can't (stock out) or you get exactly what your product is rated from a pool. Fuck. Uh, let me explain

5 products, each is equal, so 20 points (arbitrary amount, this represents your "customer survey score") allocated to each one, for 100 CS points in the industry.

Your product kicks ass and improves, some worsen, but let's say it ends up like this:

30 25 20 20 10 for a grand total of 105. The total can increase, but you only get what you deserve. So product A will receive 30/105=~28% of the total sales. Ok?

)

Then, multiply that by

Growth Rate of the industry as a whole. Check your courier, those are usually accurate.

That's what I meant by Sales * Cap (delta cap) * Market Growth
>>
>>1453019
Oh fuck, I forgot

> Promo and sales

There's a max you'll hit after doing 2.5k for 4 rounds iirc, then maintenance for that level of access/aware is $1.5-$2k

>LT Debt

LT Debt is easy, you just have to understand that the debt is paid off later. You incur shit tons of interest, sure, but you'll make enough to pay for interest as you go along if you're not dumb (avoiding stockouts, actually selling and fc correctly), and assuming your sim is <10 rounds, you'll never have to pay principal (mine was always 8 rounds). The bonds you do have to pay are listed in your finance page, and you make damn sure you are ready to pay off the big ones that come (mine were like $8m at y2 and y6)

Also, don't be afraid of ST, especially if you need it to avoid emergency loans, finance a major plant investment or don't want to dilute your stock, but I'd almost always default to releasing more stock over ST. Just do LT early
>>
>>1453202
>>1453212

I'll use some of this next time I practice later.

Also, im the meantime I copied almost exactly one of the computer's strategies from the previous simulation game and I came out perfectly.

I could at least copy the computer's R7D strategy. PERFECT product placement and transitions to other sectors.

Seems too good to be true though. But if the rest of the class hasn't thought of this then I could come out on top by far - just spend more on promo/sales and forecasting. If i'm not playing against four computers who do perfect strategies, and the rest of the class does their own strategies based on shitty calculations and errors then I could make huge profits.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.