[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Degree Advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: dog.gif (110KB, 1060x756px) Image search: [Google]
dog.gif
110KB, 1060x756px
Hey /biz/ Im studying business economics with a concentration in finance, and then going for my MBA. Is this a good combo? And what kinda of pay am I looking at? Also I hear that minorities are being hired just for diversity, how fucked am I?
>>
File: 203loVg.png (868KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
203loVg.png
868KB, 1680x1050px
Finna ninja your thread real right quick.

I decided to get a Bachelor of Science->then work on a masters-->PHD in Forestry/Environemntal Science. Am I going to get fucked? I don't care about money, just wanna protect the environment/chill innawoods/research in remote locations alone.
>>
>>1450166

don't get an MBA right after school. it's a total waste.

save the MBA option for a few years after school, when you hate your job and need to switch to something else.

an MBA with zero work experience is going to be the same pay as a BA with zero experience.
>>
>>1450207
>>an MBA with zero work experience is going to be the same pay as a BA with zero experience.
I agree re: this.

I'm doing a part time MBA thing on the side and can't remotely imagine doing it immediately after school or even when I was in law school. One, you don't need to do it full-time (Wharton and HBS are basically big parties with occasional studying - they have WAY too much time on their hands), and two, most of the topics only stick in a real way if you've cut your teeth on the real business world for a while. You'd be a fool not to get a job and do the MBA thing at night, especially if you can find an employer willing to cover some/all of the cost.

>>1450178
Fuck no, that's admirable, just make sure your financials are tight and you understand the market for people with that Ph.D. I'm assuming the job you'd have as a Ph.D wouldn't pay well, so make damn sure to not incur debt if you can avoid it.

Hell, if you can, go straight from B.S. to Ph.D. The Ph.D programs most schools have will pay you, not the other way around. Master's programs don't do that.
>>
>>1450207
>>1450213
Thanks guys, I was afraid of over exerting myself or forgetting the info, but it makes sense what you guys are saying. After the 4 years, get some real work experience then go for the MBA to actually get a grip on the information taught.
>>
So here is my question. Is it worth perusing a cyber security degree? i also plan on getting certifications but that a while off.Should i presue computer science instead. I know computer science is really dam math heavy and high-school all i got was c and low B's in math . The coding portions im fine with but the math i am not ? I do no want to get out of school then realize i cant do shit with this degree or whatever. Any sort of advice yall can give will help .
>>
>>1450166
Here is my question. I'm 25 with a BA in a useless subject. Is it worth it to go back to school for CS or a software engineering degree, or is it really a meme?
>>
>>1450213

Yeah, I think I will be fine financially, I generally don't have problems finding work. Parents are a little disappointed since they feel I'm wasting my potential, but after being a wagecuck in offices for 5 years, I can't take it anymore.

>>1450217
You'll probably learn(retain) more by working than actually going to school. You'll be much better off intellectually, financially, and mature while going for your MBA with work experience.

Just make sure you don't get comfy with working. Make sure you cover all the requirements to get into the MBA program you want...Such as letters of recommendation, which could be difficult to get after being out of school for a while.

>>1450234
It's a good degree, be sure to network though. Look into hackathon/cyber warfare ranges. One I am going to this Friday is run by an IT manager who uses it to find good employees.

>>1450246
It's only a meme degree if you don't have the experience/skills/connections to back it up, as is all majors. You'll have to display your skills/knowledge during interviews via technical interviews and shit if you go the wagecuck route.
>>
>>1450264
what else if anything do your recommend? Also what year into my schooling should go for certs?
>>
How's Finance + Philosophy?
>>
>>1450305
god tier
>>
>>1450264

Idk about that, but I do know my dad has a CISSP cert, he is a former engineer though/autistic af.

Don't worry about having all your certs done before school is done tbqh, you might not even have time for them. Get what you can done during the summers, but internships (usually paid) are more important.
>>
>>1450319
>>1450291

Also forgot to mention usually whatever classes you take will generally prepare you for a lot of the certs too.
>>
The MBA will be for a long time a masters you get if your employer pays you/promotes you for it. Otherwise there's better masters to pursue.
>>
>>1450352
any examples? or should i just go for the masters in business economics.
>>
File: 1471037881710.jpg (89KB, 672x606px) Image search: [Google]
1471037881710.jpg
89KB, 672x606px
>>1450166
Disagree with the disagreement on the MBA.

Let's be honest, you're not going to HBS or Yale or something to get your MBA. Get it out of the way early while you're not making anything.

Think about this:
>be you
>be 32 mid career
>wife, two kids
>lol better take out a bunch of debt and get a shit MBA that really is just finance 101, economics 101, stats 101, and "business management" 101 and 102
>oops also gave up two years of salary and paid 60k to 100k for it
>wife hates me now for ruining childrens life

What I did:
>did undergrad in econ
>did masters in econ
>did MBA
All right after each other and all completely paid for because muh grades.

You won't see ROI immediately, but you will see the gains later and be considered before others for promotions, etc.
>>
>>1450697
Same boat. Doing a full time right after my undergrad (which was free) i also have military experience to draw on though.

Fuck the haters knock it out early and never go back to school again. Your long term ROI will be higher because you'll have more time to spend in positions seeking an MBA as a check in the box after you knock out your first couple of years of work experience.
>>
>>1450178
>I want to be a jobless bum
nah you set f am
lemme know how it works out
>>
>>1450178

God you are going to hate yourself in 5-10 years lol

When your friends are buy houses and boats and you're saving trees hahahahahahhahahahah idiot
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.