[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are french cuffs a meme or do they have any business utility to them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Are french cuffs a meme or do they have any business utility to them?
>>
Depends
are you a poorfag that can't even afford a base model IWC, let alone the one in the pic?
>>
They look cool and all, but I've posted this in many threads:

No one wears suits anymore. The vast majority of business these days is conducted in khakis and a button up shirt. Dressing up just doesn't have the appeal it used to. These days it's about what you know, what you can do, and how you can confidently sell it. Most businessmen see through a guy with a great suit that does not know shit. So with that, being better at what you do is gonna outweigh that stupid suit shit.

Really it died with Steve Jobs. When that guy started going on stage in jeans and a turtleneck he really flipped the game upside down. It was like "oh I don't really give a fuck what I'm wearing because I'm a genius that is gonna change the world"
>>
>>1442736
>steve jobs is a genius
when will this meme die
>>
>>1442751
That's not the point. The point is the public now perceive smart people as the ones that don't dress to impress. All household name tech leaders don't care. All engineering places judge those that wear anything remotely flashy because it's seen as compensation for lack of knowledge. Regional finance and accounting don't wear suits either, it's pants, dress shoes with a collared shirt.
>>
But metro financiers and professionals are seen to be the core of the industry, setting them aside from the 'hicks' who operate out of central money.
SO in that case, appearance is no meme, as well as the obvious case of feeling better and having greater confidence in feeling better about your appearance and perception to others.
>>
>>1442757
It still depends on what you're doing though. I work for a very large company where we have several branches/buildings.

-Salesmen and executives would rather be found dead than try to do their job out of a suit
-Consultants and office workers come in with button downs and khakis
-Engineers and developers casually stroll in late in shorts and flipflops

It's all about image more than anything else. Salesmen meet with clients a lot, engineers hardly ever do.
>>
>>1442657
>Are french cuffs a meme or do they have any business utility to them?

Depends on the type of business. An uptight hot-shot lawyer has a much more strict dresscode than a junior-manager at a startup.

In general they *are* memes, just like any other dresscode or signalling device. They have no inherent utility or meaning, they're just repeated because "that's what everyone else does". That's the definition of a meme - suits, ties, expensive watches, etc.

From my experience they tend to show up at a certain level of income / networth. Rich men want to show their money and after you bought a designer suit, handmade shoes and an 8k watch - what are you gonna do? Changing your cuffs allows you to add golden cufflinks as an additional status symbol. That's as much of a reason as I could find for them... Cuffs are pretty uncomfortable - stiff and heavy. I don't like them.
>>
>>1442832
I have to agree. My dad is IB and I have never seen him not wear a suit. My friends that Engineers never have even worn a collared shirt.
>>
>>1442832
Kind of funny, the more technical your role becomes the less you have to show for it in appearance.
>>
>>1442832
This. I work for Charter HQ in Stamford. Our IT professionals, infrastructure guys, and the like are jeans/dickies type guys. Non-salaried operations personnel are button-ups or polos with pressed khakis. Middle managers like me, shirt and tie every day (and I do prefer french cuff because fuck losing buttons.) Our executives are always in suits (and it's an unwritten rule that you NEVER go on the 10th floor without being in one, even if it's just for a 10 minute meeting.)
>>
>>1442657
>look at my expensive redundant watch, I must be a real man

can't stand GQ morons. notice the giant watch ad on the back cover... couldn't possibly be a conflict of interest...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.