[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

401k for a doom and gloomer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: schiff-nuke.jpg (29KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
schiff-nuke.jpg
29KB, 400x300px
I'm a 23 year old, I get the opportunity to start putting in money in a 401k for the first time in my life. However I'm addicted to Peter Schiff videos and am constantly being lead to believe the market is about to crash any minute. Now my employer doesn't match but as most of you know the 401k lowers my taxable income. So my question is how should I allocate the investment? I have the option to choose a bunch of retirement target funds, a vanguard index, international, midcap, and bond fund. Some other bond and international funds and a Stable value fund. Would a Stable Value fund be safe from a major market downturn or would it cause me to lose the money I invest into it? Also any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
>>
>>1442306
Just build a normal long term investment portfolio with 10-20% in gold miners.
>>
>>1442316
Think OP wants to know what that involves senpai. I'd do 80% global weighted tracker fund and 10% gold funds 10% govt bonds
>>
>>1442316
Unfortunately it doesn't seem like any of the fund choices have anything to do with gold or gold mining.
>>
>>1442338
put it all in govt bonds and stop being a retard that listens to peter schiff
>>
>>1442347
could you give me a short explanation why that's a good choice?
>>
>>1442357
Buying U.S. government bonds right now is a pretty lousy investment but it's arguably less lousy than buying into the highly overpriced S&P 500 or NASDAQ.

The idea behind buying U.S. Treasuries is that there will be a stock market correction in the next two or three years that will cause money to flood into cash and U.S. Treasuries. That should increase the price of Treasuries and allow holders of Treasuries to sell and move the proceeds into the market. However, this scenario is dependent upon the idea that there will be a notable stock market correction and that one will get the timing right to transition into stocks.

In a highly-manipulated market, it is no longer certain that stock markets will fall very much before the central banks do something. The Japanese central bank is buying stocks through ETFs. Can we be certain that the Federal Reserve will not do the same thing?

Your best bet, unless you're good at investing, is to go with a blend of a global, diversified stock index (such as VT) and Treasury bonds (such as TLH or TLT). Being that you're so young, maybe an 80% stocks, 20% bonds portfolio would be good. You could actually go 100% stocks but stock markets are very high-priced but so are bonds thanks to central bank intervention.

You do have to be careful about holding the Treasuries too long, though, because the purchasing power of the U.S. dollar is at high risk of losing a good amount of purchasing power on a long term basis. The talk of gold right now is to hedge loss of purchasing power in the dollar. The low-risk way to acquire a gold hedge is to buy something like PHYS, GLD, SGOL, IAU, or SGOL. Gold mining shares are very volatile and you really have to know what's going on to make money in them.

So, if you want more conservative, maybe 70% stocks, 20% Treasuries, 10% gold bullion.

Finally, you want to be careful with Schiff's advice. He ultimately is trying to get people to sign up to be customers of his company.
>>
>>1442603
I've spoken to many people over the years who let Euro-Pacific Capital manage their money and the returns have not been so hot. In particular, they were massacred in 2008.

Schiff is worth listening to to the extent that he will point out obvious bubbles and other economic nonsense that the monkeys at the Federal Reserve and sell side houses either don't see or will not admit.

But investing based only on Schiff's advice is playing Russian roulette with your money.
>>
File: opijewpoidfj.jpg (181KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
opijewpoidfj.jpg
181KB, 1920x1080px
>>1442604
>In particular, they were massacred in 2008.
he has been long gold since 1999, so schiff is still doing pretty good.

>Schiff is worth listening to to the extent that he will point out obvious bubbles and other economic nonsense that the monkeys at the Federal Reserve and sell side houses either don't see or will not admit.
this is pretty reasonable, i would agree.
>>
File: 9428758042.jpg (4KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
9428758042.jpg
4KB, 200x200px
>>1442604
>I've spoken to many people over the years who let Euro-Pacific Capital manage their money and the returns have not been so hot.
Actually? what do u do?

>>1442603
this post was really awesome too, thanks for all of the content
>>
>>1442603
>>1442604
my skype is: george.bush194

i'd love to ask some question about investing in general
>>
>>1442622
>he has been long gold since 1999, so schiff is still doing pretty good.
The people I spoke with who were massacred were, of course, not 100% in gold bullion. You don't need Schiff to buy gold bullion. His firm put a lot of their money into mining stocks that paid dividends. Those were the companies that were massacred and, to the best of my knowledge, still have not recovered.
>>
>>1442644
interesting, thanks. if you have a discord or anything hmu --> Tonald Drump#0601
>>
>>1442603
Thanks so much for your input and yes I completely agree that if you bought into his mutual funds after 2008 you would be hurting today. However I'm limited to how I allocate, I only have 14 funds to choose from and half of them are JP MORGAN Smart Retirement Target funds that adjust allocation Stock/Bond for you over time.

But I do have four Vanguard funds to choose from, Vanguard Total International Stock Index Admiral, Vanguard Extended Market Admiral (Mid Cap), Vanguard 500 admiral (Large Cap), and Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Admiral. What would you recommend my allocation be given a large cap, mid cap, and an international stock fund.
>>
>>1442696

Given the current market environment, if I were you (23 years old), I would invest 70% to 80% of my 401K funds into the Vanguard Total International Stock Index and the remaining 20% - 30% in the Vanguard Total Bond Market Index.

The reasoning for the Vanguard Total International Index is that it is not just U.S. stock markets, which are possibly the most overpriced stock markets on the planet right now.

The Vanguard 500 and Vanguard Extended Market funds are full of U.S. stocks so that's why I would not recommend going into them right now. If you read Vanguard's literature, a combination of the Vanguard 500 (large cap) and Vanguard Extended (small and medium cap) funds pretty much give you exposure to the entire U.S. stock market.

Normally, in this kind of stagflationary environment, I'd recommend small and mid cap stocks because they should have better growth than the large cap stocks and growth is what will protect your purchasing power during stagflations. However, being that I suspect a nasty correction is on the horizon, I avoid these smaller stocks because they are likely to experience greater drawdowns than the large cap stocks.

The Vanguard Total Bond market holds 70% of its assets in U.S. government bonds and 30% in corporate bonds. I hate the corporate bonds but since you've got nothing better, you just have to clench your teeth and buy into this trash. The very highest quality corporate bonds yield almost nothing over comparable duration U.S. Treasuries but lack the safety of U.S. Treasuries since the U.S. government cannot default on a bond. (Technically it can but I cannot imagine the U.S. totally reneging on principal and interest payments.)

One final thing: You should enroll an account with GMO (http://www.gmo.com/) and review their 7-year forecasts for various asset classes. I believe this report is released every month. It'll give you a reasonable idea of when it may be worthwhile to move your assets into other funds.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.