[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are savings accounts a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1467262143110.jpg (10KB, 237x192px) Image search: [Google]
1467262143110.jpg
10KB, 237x192px
Are savings accounts a meme?
>>
Yes

Just keep money in chequeing or in broker account because it will get fucked by inflation any way
>>
>>1441734

thanks man
>>
>>1441737
Yeah I mean you'll lose slightly less to inflation but it's not a significant amount. You should have a small amount in chequeing and the rest in your portfolio
>>
>>1441731
Pretty much what >>1441742 says. Keep six months to a year's worth of expenses in your regular checking/savings/money market. You never know what kind of expenses can come up where you'll need instant liquidity.
>>
>>1441765
>brokerage accounts aren't liquid
>>
>>1441765

Retarded.

Keep 1-2 months immediate expenses (shit like rent, groceries, whatever) in your checking, then keep another 5-10 depending on job security in 1% savings.
>>
>>1441731
The maximum you should ever have in savings is $250k.
That is the amount protected by the US government if something happens to your savings.
>>
>>1441731
My mum has 400K in a 3% p.a savings account. It's so frustrating. Whenever I try to convince her to invest she says the she doesn't want to lose it in the stock market meme.
>>
>>1441731
Yes. Prior to babyboomers it was meant to be invested in children, but current elite does not want competition, so they created these memes about muh social security.
>>
I keep $30k in a money market savings account as an emergency fund.

People often think about an emergency fund being useful for if you lose your job, but it is just as likely that you'll get hurt and need to take time off work.

Even with insurance, you need a buffer, because depending on the incident, it can be a bitch to get full reimbursement from insurance in a timely manner.

>>1442003

FDIC and the like doesn't protect anything. They couldn't even cover 25% if there was a bank run or a major banking collapse.

It just gives the illusion of protection to people that keep that much money in banking accounts.
>>
>>1442004
She's better off than you, yet you question her
>>
>>1442022
Not him, but of course she is, she had an entire lifetime of work and saving. But an equivalent woman who had invested that wealth would have been substantially better off.

You fucking retard.
>>
>>1442022
Try /pol/
>>
>>1442022
>She's better off than you, yet you question her

That's a logical fallacy.

Just because someone is better off than you doesn't mean you can't give them advice. You need to argue what they're saying instead of attack them personally

>Someone gives you a piece of advice/offers an argument
>"NO SHUT UP, YOU HAVEN'T DONE X SO YOU CAN'T TALK!"

That post may be the poorest poorfag on 4chan but what he's saying isn't wrong, at least until you disprove it.
>>
>>1442024
>>1442036
>>1442049
>Being this triggered
>>
>>1442082
>Said something retarded
>Got corrected
>"XD I WAS JUST TROLLING GUYS, I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED HAHA GOT YOU"
>>
>>1442017
FDIC is a government corporations that guarantees $250,000 in case of bank failure, backed by the department of treasury.

If there is a bank failure so large that FDIC can't get you your funds, then it won't matter if you can't get your money because society has literally collapsed and the money is worthless.
>>
>>1441731
they are not a meme, they are good for storing your emergency funds in..but dont put all your money in it.
>>
>>1441731
mine gives 3% return. So its not bad to keep an emergency fund.
>>
for now
interest rates will go back, however, so it's actually a good time to create an account
>>
>>1442095
>not seeing
So here's the underlying problem. You are frugal and put away 75% of your income into index funds and hit that megamillion figure after a lifetime of dedication. Maybe. If you manage to find a job.

His clueless mom has $400,000 in savings account after applying literally no effort and no knowledge, apparently.

She is far superior to the first scenario because she didn't need to try... She accumulated that money almost by accident.

Her career success and personal choices got her there easily. Her son, however, smug due to his 4chan affiliates astounding knowledge, mocks her because "hurr she didn't invest, if I were her I'd be so much better off"

Fallacy being he isn't her and won't ever find himself in the position of having a spare $400,000 in savings going by his and his 4chan meme associate's attitude
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.