[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Subsidized Loans...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Jump Diffusion.png (1MB, 2307x1273px)
Jump Diffusion.png
1MB, 2307x1273px
Hey biz, what's to stop someone with a full ride to apply subsidized student loan money (if they qualify) to some thing like short term bonds? Assuming able to find relatively safe short-term investment that doesn't require too much oversight as one would hope to focus more on school.

I was thinking about this because a friend of mine told me he used his student loans to rent vending machines for passive income.
>>
Bump for thoughts
>>
>>1438096
You have to sign a contract with federal loans stating you'll only use it for school expenses.

If you come up short you're boned, otherwise you can try.
>>
>>1438096
Hey that is really interesting how you set up that picture.

I made something similar without the jumps in it.
>>
>>1438179
Jump-Diffusion model is a mix of the jump model and diffusion model for pricing options. Pretty interesting.
>>
>>1438164
Right, so if I received an outside scholarship that pays directly to me(i'd report it of course), use the loan for school, and the outside scholarship for rent, I could then use the excess of that outside scholarship for whatever with less conceivable repercussions than using the the subsidized loan right? So I could effectively earn the interest on the governments loan. Like a swap with 0 fixed rate. How terrible of an idea is this?
>>
>>1438096

The current student loan rate is 7%.

Good luck getting that out of bonds.

Other investments maybe.
>>
>>1438305
Yeah so my model only has the diffusion process.

What are you studying, mathematics, finance?

And in what language did you create that picture?
>>
>>1438357
no interest while in school for subsidized loans
>>
I'm thinking about doing this myself. I can take out $5.5k of subsidized loans. My tuition is already paid for. I want to flip it fast tho, so I'm thinking of putting it in stocks. Would the govt go after me if I did this?
>>
>>1438421
Stocks could be a little volatile for short term investment. Pus might require a little more attention. That's why I was thinking something dumb like bonds.

I was also considering peer to peer lending or something, idk.
>>
>>1438361
I'm studying Physics/Computational Physics, but most of my electives are computational science, CSE, or Math.

I took that off of a Google search. I just wanted something eye catching.
>>
I gambled my 4.5k subsidized loan on stock options. Lost everything. No regrets. Thank you tax payers.
>>
>>1438466
Very nice.
>>
>>1438365

Well yeah, you beat the interest for a couple years, but then that 7% starts up the moment you graduate or quit school.
>>
>>1438096
Well, I would do something such as...

Use subsidized loans for school expenses. Then use you income from other sources to invest instead of spend on school.

You wouldn't have had to take out loans in the first place, but you did because no interest and your income is put to better use.
>>
At many academic institutions, FAFSA funds are transferred to to the institution before you get your hands on any of it. The institution will firstly allocate the funds towards tuition and fees, and any remainder of the subsidized loan is given back to you (typically a few weeks after the semester even begins). The government doesn't simply right a fat check in the beginning of August and deliver it to your house.
>>
>>1438357
The current student loan rate is 3.7.

>>1438575
Just sell and pay it off before you start paying interest, pocketing (or re-investing) the gains.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.