[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Can one of you smart people educate me on blue chip stocks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: download (1).jpg (12KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
12KB, 300x168px
Can one of you smart people educate me on blue chip stocks?
>>
>>1430655
what do you want to know, more specifically, that you can't get off google top 10?
>>
>>1430656
Im reading google. More importantly, if one of you have any experience with these. Do you believe they're worth investing in?
>>
>>1430661
Blue chips are the ones you want to shove your money in if you're not interested in growth, and are ok with small dividends. Right now, the largest Blue Chip dividend is Ford, at about 4%.

I keep about 1/3rd of my portfolio in blues (Ford, GE, Coke, and a couple others.) They perform pretty poorly when compared to growth stocks or riskier stocks, at the same time they're less susceptible to shocks in the market. All in all, blues are important to stability in your portfolio, if that's one of your goals.
>>
>>1430661
probably the only thing you should invest in, besides your, intelligence, talents, and your own company , if you are building one.
>>
>>1430701
and commodities.
>>
>>1430655
http://dogsofthedow.com/largest-companies-by-market-cap.htm
>>
Finance major here/
Do some googling on efficient market hypothesis and then google some long term indexes like the S&P500 that are indicative of the general market. You'll come to the conclusion that speculation on large market cap shares is retarded but that stocks generally trend upwards over the long-run. With this information you will then want to read about the concept of risk adjusted returns. When you know your risk level (usually depends on your age and disposable income) you can pick blue chip stocks within industries based on their risk level. Thats the smartest way to do it, do not try to speculate, its a retards game.
>>
>>1430681
>GE
>they're less susceptible to shocks in the market

Pick one.

>http://www.againstcronycapitalism.org/2015/05/taxpayers-bailed-out-ge-financial-in-2008-now-ge-is-selling-off-ge-financial-no-thank-you-to-taxpayers/
>>
>>1431692
>Do some googling on efficient market hypothesis
LOL
>>
>>1431710
>Oh look, you're shilling a book, pretending that it's factual information.

GE Holdings and GE Financial didn't receive any taxpayer monies (unlike B of A, Goldman Sachs, Citi, JP Morgan.) They received guarantees and backing from the FDIC to cover issuance of new debt to restructure the old debt. Less than a year later, the debt they had was solvent again and they were released by the FDIC.

You really need to understand money before you actually talk about money.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.