[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into personal finance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 16383829408_c899ddd710_o (1).jpg (406KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
16383829408_c899ddd710_o (1).jpg
406KB, 1024x576px
Hey /biz/

I am a mathematics oriented guy with a good job making about $110k per year (before tax). I live in a relatively cheap apartment, own a decent car, and have no debt. I have been working for about 5 years and now have about $100k in the bank.

I have recently realized that I am pretty retarded for not having done anything with my savings this whole time. So I would like to learn a bit more about what my options are.

From my very basic googling and reading I gathered that I should be doing the following:
>Buy a house/property (i.e. put part of my savings into real estate)
>Start a Roth IRA (i.e. keep my liquid savings here earning a bit more interest but easily accessible)
>Buy some stocks (i.e. split into risky and not-so-risky, preferably vanguard bundles and index funds, respectively)
>Buy gold/silver (i.e. put some money into a commodity for the sake of diversity)

So first of all, does that make sense? Am I completely wrong? Or missing something important?

And secondly, what does a good distribution in the above categories look like? i.e. what percent of my money should I have in each category? I suspect this split depends on my total net worth. Any general rules of thumb or mathematical models to get a feel for it?
>>
>>1429771
Get a financial adviser because obviously you know nothing about finance. You will lose all of your savings if you try to do it yourself.
>>
>>1429784
But can you at least point to where what I said is wrong? Or a big thing that I am missing?

Also, is there some online tutorial? Youtube video? Whatever!
>>
>>1429771
>I am a mathematics oriented guy with a good job making about $110k per year (before tax). I live in a relatively cheap apartment, own a decent car, and have no debt. I have been working for about 5 years and now have about $100k in the bank.
So you've earned about $400,000 after tax, live in a cheap area, own your car, and only have $100,000 in bank? What did the other $300,000 get you over those 5 years?

Figure that out and you're actually going to see some benefit. Focus on your shitty savings and you've already lost.
>>
>>1429858
Homie.

the idea is, if you have money, don't let it sit there, make it work for you.

also, get a credit card and build credit..
then you can get loans with low interest.
why is this important?

if you have 400k and buy a 400k house, you now have 0, but a 400k asset.
HOWEVER..
if you take a 400k loan at only 1% you can pay off the house instantly, then the loan slowly, and still have your 400k in the bank to MAKE Money off of

capish?
your mathematic mind would say stay away from debt, always pay shit off, the above defies that logic
>>
Max out your traditional 401k and traditional IRA for tax benefit.

Find yourself a nice home to purchase, be conservative and take a thirty years mortgage out. Pay off within fifteen years.

Due to high income, I suggest you save up a buffer of six months of income in savings.

The rest should be invested in the stock market either via a simple portfolio or to have it managed by roboinvestor such as Wealthfront or Betterment and enable tax harvesting. I think Betterment has a better tax harvesting approach.

Live like a king...
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.