[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/MGMT/ Management Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: p22-flanagan-mishima-a-20150823.jpg (588KB, 1497x1778px) Image search: [Google]
p22-flanagan-mishima-a-20150823.jpg
588KB, 1497x1778px
The art of management.
Most of you are NEETs and probably suck at being in positions of authority, we're going to change that.

Who are the great managers you look up to?
What do you think of Steve Jobs's people skills?
Tell stories about how you got shit employees to turn around and become great.
How did you get a team which was previously disagreeing to work together as a well oiled machine?
Recommend your favorite books on management.
>Pic Related: Cult leader and David Bowie hero Yukio Mishima
>>
Bump for interest. Second interview this week for a supervisor role in my field with zero experience as a manager. I lied on my resume and I'm a fairly good bullshitter.

Any must read books / movies / youtube clips you guys can recommend?
>>
>>1429709
I've always liked this crappy video on Youtube. Work out the link yourself

>watch?v=BNeXlJW70KQ

This is like 4D level management, literally asking for the impossible. Being told it's impossible and still asking for it.

I've never really read much management literature hence why I started the thread, what little experience I have is from running creative projects and directing actors.

There was a guy, I think his name was Mark Chussil. He's more about strategy than management, but still look up some videos of his he's really interesting.
>>
File: 1347666942532.jpg (177KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1347666942532.jpg
177KB, 1200x800px
I'm the head of the IT support & infraestructure team at work and I'm looking for ways to make sure we do the shit we HAVE TO DO (e.g. fix somebody's computer) as fast as possible so that we have time to do the shit we WANT TO DO (e.g. upgrade some shit so there's less stuff to do). We metaphorically just run around with fire extinguishers.

We have an issue/task tracking system of sorts where the users post what they need done.

Anybody in a similar situation (doesn't need to be IT)?
Any suggestions?
>>
>>1429750
Interested by this is probably way beyond my field of expertise.

>How many floors is your company on?
>How big is your team?
>How do you decide who on the team goes out on the call?
>>
>>1429759
>How many floors is your company on?
It's an university. We take care of about twenty buildings, but most of them have just class rooms or labs (of all kinds). There's one team dedicated to computer labs, because those are a pain in the ass.

>How big is your team?
Five employees and one intern.

>How do you decide who on the team goes out on the call?
The person just picks one ticket by themselves and goes there to solve the problem most of the time. When it's something important I manually choose who will attend the user.

At the moment we don't have remote access to most computers, but most of our problems come from computers breaking or getting too infected to be usable (we just backup and format in this case).

Remote access, a domain and proper authentication is some of the things we want to do but don't have time or the resources to (some of it depends on other departments too). Most of our work involves fixing broken computers, computers that are too infected to be usable, voip phones and making sure network works across the campus.

Hardcore hardware maintenance is done by the maintenance department (thank god).
>>
Has your instructor ever told you not to lie on a resume?
>>
>>1429775
My experiences aren't in IT so this is probably of no help but I suggest:
Keep a map or list of each computer lab. When you get a report of a busted machine, you write it in. This way if there's two machines in a room, or in adjacent rooms, that need attention you can send one team member to take care of them more or less in parallel.

The most important thing is knowing just how long you can leave these machines unattended before you get serious complaints, and definitively scheduling a few hours a day for your team to work on these 'want to do' projects as you called them. Like having that as sacred time to focus on the portions of your projects that only massive disasters can pull you away from.

I hope you find a solution.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.