[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Incoming Finance Major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: Trump1.jpg (34KB, 620x385px) Image search: [Google]
Trump1.jpg
34KB, 620x385px
In about 3 weeks I'll be heading off to college to start a degree in Business, Finance. I was wondering if there are any finance or business majors who could give me any tips or advice on what to expect.

Also, any success stories are always nice as well.

<3
>>
File: life.png (130KB, 500x241px) Image search: [Google]
life.png
130KB, 500x241px
Bump for interest, I'm going into Finance & Economics
>>
Easy as fuck, business is a meme and finance is easy if you study, not a lot of tough math. Take addy or vyvanse for exams(everyone does) to get a competitive GPA and apply for every job in your Career Services. Learn python and R.

Coming from a bachelor in Econ in a canadian university.
>>
>>1412445
same. another bump for interest.
>>
>>1412566

This is why you take mathematical econ/fin instead because people automatically assume you are smarter than the humanitarian econ/fin.
>>
>>1412121
Finance is for douchebag fratbros. Accounting (and tax for graduate school) is for the more disciplined student.
>>
>>1412740
i can tell if someone is smart just by talking to them for roughly 5 minutes. im sure most HR managers can too.
>>
>>1412121
>Also, any success stories are always nice as well.

>college
>success

Pick one.
>>
Come back to use when you're actually done, if this is your first foray into college you'll probably change your major before you finish 2nd year.
>>
>>1412121
Fair warning a buz/fin degree from anything but a leading uni is a waste of time if your trying to get into IB. But if you arent tryna get into IB good luck. Lots of jobs look for people with MBAs and bussi degrees.
>>
>>1412837
what about a MS in finance with BS in Biology?

Still masters level finance now, not BS...

MBA's from what I understand are for people with working experience already.
>>
>>1412744
>implying its not all fratinfested
>>
Don't get a degree in Business Administration.

1. Accounting: Decent job opportunities, but you can always start your own small business which is a huge plus

2. Everything else: A waste of time and money unless it's ivy league education. At least if you get a 4 year degree, you can qualify for a lot of corporate/management positions that have a hard bachelors requirement.

Business degrees are kind of like a fancier feeling version of Liberal Arts or Gender Studies. It just feels more official, it's really not. Expect to work retail/service industry as a cashier/waitress, job hop promotions every 1-2 years and get into corporate within 10 if your lucky (It's what I did, 72k/yr now up from 19k after graduating college almost exactly 8 years ago. Required aggressive job hopping for promotions)
>>
>>1412990
http://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/best-and-worst-paying-masters-degrees

whatsup with this? Finance looking pretty good here
>>
>>1413002
You have to actually get a finance degree
>>
>>1413002
>http://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/best-and-worst-paying-masters-degrees
Yes, at a senior level. That's 10+ years experience, do you have that to go with the degree?
>>
>>1413002
Could make that in the 15-20 years in retail too. What would it take? Lots of aggressive promotions, which probably means chewing through companies to get to the salary and position you desire. You'll do the same thing with a finance degree but the chances of job hopping are lower. But the starting pay is hopefully higher
>>
>>1413045
>>1413047
So you plan to die soon?

I know thats not starting, unless you have connections.

>>1413056
I know for me personally I am considering Comp Sci or Finance, and either will take job experience and hustling to get more money over the next 20 years. Right now for me its more about getting a job easily, and having a good start pay with room to grow. Seems to be either one has that..

Though accounting seems less analytical thats part why i am thinking finance. Part of my calculation is how long I need to take to get prereqs before I start a masters since I have a BS in Bio (A's in Calc / stats, but need more math likely)
>>
>>1413058
Comp Sci starts at 90k, has excellent job security and low competition so it's easy to be pushed toward promotion

Finance will start you at 30-40k doing glorified sales jobs, and if YOU aren't aggressive enough to get promoted, or get job hopped-promotions, you will likely stay in that income bracket
>>
http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/learning/programme-course-paper/programme.cfm?major_code=2063&prog_id=92711
what do you guys think of this?
>>
>>1413067
I always hear indian slave programmers are destroying the CS field and such?

Or does that affect more IT and less stringent majors?
>>
Finance is by far the easiest degree to high salaries. Masters degree is ofcourse better.
>>
>>1413075
Mostly call centers, growing into actual CS work too but business like local teams, and it's not an epidemic. It's a highly sought after field at the moment, which is why starting pay is so good. I've been kicking myself to get a CS degree, plus if you're good with coding you can also code your own apps, websites etc. Very easy to breach into your own business (This is what my brother did)
>>
You can go to banking that is the most common but almost all large corporations hire finance experts too
>>
>>1412805
>>1412805
>>1412805
>>1412805
this to fuck
>>
>all these people acting like a bachelors degree is good

Literally nobody on this board ever mentions CFA or CPA which makes me realize you're all retards destined to life of mediocrity. Get into finance or accounting but then keep learning, nobody gives a shit if you have a degree.
>>
>>1412740
Adding on to this, I took a minor in math as there is overlap in some econ/finance program, In ontario for most non-STEM you have enough electives to achieve a minor in almost anything in four years.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.