[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a cinema theatre business

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: kino.jpg (2MB, 2500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
kino.jpg
2MB, 2500x2000px
Would making a kino theatre be a good business idea ?
Is it possible to make it on paycheck working jobs money and would it be sustainable for years to come and make a life earning from it ?
What do you think /biz/ ?
>>
>>1408613
You have to really know your audience.
I suggest, find the local hipster neighbourhood in your city.
Rent out there, get permissions to do small screenings etc.
Rent space out to bands to premier music videos, indie filmmakers, video artists etc. etc.
Have a bar that stocks meme beers.

Also forget everything I said, because apparently the real money in Cinema is showing
>Ballet
>Opera
>Bollywood

Make a deal with the local retirement home or offer mass concessions to the fucking elderly activities bus
>>
veeery unlikely, unless you become the local indie arthouse and premiere cinema - a spot usually already filled by some old established business.

cinemas are *very* expensive to set up. you need a large space somewhere people can easily reach. you need comfortable seating. the tech alone probably costs more than 100k for 1 screen - surround sound, computers and hardware that can handle and is compatible with films (these days they're mostly distributed on special encrypted hard drives), a good digital projector alone costs several 10k. add more costs if you want to go 3D and DTS/THX. if you go arthouse you need classic film projectors and someone trained to handle them.

you need to license every single motion picture you're showing. i don't know about the current deals, but i wouldn't be surprised if there was a base fee for modern blockbusters, independent of how many people watch and additionally a per-ticket fee.

i'm not even talking about operating and personell costs (cleaning, projecting, sales, food)...

and all that for an industry that has been in decline for almost two decades and has been mostly consolidated into large chains and tiny indie cinemas who can only get by on public subsidies. why would you want to get into that market?

if they ever come up with some new tech (dunno, better 3D or 60 fps films or something), you can spend several 10k again, just to continue operating. i think marges are too small, even with those inflated ticket prices beyond 10 bucks.
>>
>>1408622
>>1408638
Yeah, seems unlikely if I don't have the big bucks and connections already.
>>
>>1408648
Don't give up the dream.
Do a "pop up cinema".
I knew some art space people who rented out a "cycle projector". It was basically a projector on a bike.

Start small. Aquire rights to cheap content. Expand.
Tropfest started in a bar.
>>
>>1408653
Seems interesting might look into it and see if it would be possible in my country.
>>
random question:

it's illegal locate cool spaces for people watch netflix and chill?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.