[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

accounting + taw law

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I have a bachelors degree in accounting and I'm getting a master of science in international tax law. My friends are telling me it's a poor choice and argue that my choice will fall short compared to complete accounting educations and complete law degrees. I wanted to hear your thoughts. The university is below ivy league but still pretty good, but my main concern is the choice of degrees. What do you think?
>>
This thread deserves at least one bump
>>
Yea thats real specific. It'll be tough to find a job, but I guess if you do it should pay well.

My creds...
BBA accounting
MS accounting
>>
Getting a Masters in Law without a JD just sounds odd. You can't sit for the bar, you can't practice law, and you can't give qualified legal advice. So what good is the doctorate going to do?
>>
>>1404104
if you are looking to go to big 4 accounting firm, you will get snatched up, as long as you qualify to sit for the CPA exam.

And as long as you have good grades of course.
>>
As a Big 4 tax alum, as long as you can sit for the CPA exam, I think you are at least as competitive as someone with an MA in Accountancy.
>>
>>1404235
I know it sounds odd. I'm hoping the sheer unusuality of it will give me a competitive advantage, but that's speculative. The way I see it, both accounting and tax law are very much about companies meeting regulations. So they should fit together. Is there something to my line of reasoning?
>>
>>1404416
>Big 4 tax alumn

What si that like? What kind of work do you do? What type of personality would you say is right for the job?
>>
>>1404474
>The way I see it, both accounting and tax law are very much about companies meeting regulations. So they should fit together. Is there something to my line of reasoning?
I come at the question from the law side, so perhaps my perspective is skewed. If you intended to ever practice, you'd be making a mistake. But it sounds like that's not your goal.

Yes, there are some practical synergies between accounting and tax law. You are correct that they both revolve around regulations and a code-based system of rules. Whether that would give a competitive advantage in the interview room or the workplace, I honestly can't predict.
>>
Don't worry.

Master degree in economics and master degree in tax law here.

Went on some job interviews. All but one (little regional firm) gave me a job offer.
>>
>>1406320
Does your economics and tax law blend in any way? What kind of schools did you go to?
>>
>>1405264
>If you intended to ever practice, you'd be making a mistake.
What does it really mean to practice? I don't intend to work in a court, but I do intend to give advice regarding tax planning (transfer pricing etc). Could I do that with the mentioned combination of degrees?
>>
>>1407620
>What does it really mean to practice? I don't intend to work in a court, but I do intend to give advice regarding tax planning (transfer pricing etc). Could I do that with the mentioned combination of degrees?
You're walking a fine line when it comes to giving legal advice without a lawyer. You can safely give most tax advice without a J.D., just as an accountant would do in similar circumstances. You can probably give credible interpretations of IRS regulations and rulings. But at some point, tax issues become sufficiently gray that they're legal questions. Those, you should avoid.

Any major business will have an outside tax lawyer. Being the liaison with him would be a good gig.
>>
>>1406320
I went to KULeuven, you can google it.

And no, they don't blend in any way when it comes to tax consulting. I'm better in predicting the implications of tax changes on the economy, but that's not my job atm.

To be honest, my economics degree is just a big sign that says I'm not retarted and good with math. You have any more questions?
>>
>>1408827
meant to reply to >>1406397
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.