[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apartment Security Deposit Troubles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: security-deposit2.jpg (71KB, 424x283px) Image search: [Google]
security-deposit2.jpg
71KB, 424x283px
Sorry if this is not best suited here, it was either this or /advice/ but I feel I'll get more appropriate answers here.

Background: Kid (A) moves in to apartment. $1,370/month rent and puts down $1,370/security deposit to start. Finds roommate (B) 2 weeks later. Adjusts lease now they split the $1,370 in half and each pay their portion. However new roommate (B) never pays any portion of the depsoit and is never asked too.

Flash forward 1 whole year. The newly found roommate (B) moves out. Remember the $1,370 deposit is still in (A's) name. The apartment is never assesed for damages for that year, remember this.

My friend (C) and I (D) now move in under the agreement we split the monthly rent like so; (A) pays half, (C) and (D) each pay a quarter equalling the other half. Securit deposit is NEVER discussed, remember this.

Flash forward 10 months. (A) moves out but agrees to continue paying the remainder of his rent for the last 3 months (this includes the month he moved out). However his father is requesting my friend (C) and I (D) each give him directly $450 for the security deposit because he finds it "unfair he should pay the whole deposit because his son will not be there for the remainder of the lease". His exact words by the way.

So heres whats fucked;

1) The apartment was never assessed for damages during the first year of stay between (A) and (B).

2) (B) was never asked to pay any of the security deposit and is basically getting away scott free with any damages he may have caused.

3) The security deposit was never once discussed with my friend (C) and I (D) prior to us moving in. His father simply said "Sorry it was just a miscommunication".

4) My friend has already stated he will not give him any money as it was never discussed with him prior and legally its all in (A's) name.

So my question, also sorry for the long post; Am I legally required to give him any money? And if I am shouldnt it be 1/4th not a 3rd because of roommate (B)? Help please.
>>
>>1403686
>im fucked up and got involved in an unorganised situation. wat do

get evidence that it aint yo fault. done.

>but what if i dont have evi-

get some. make some.
>>
What did your lease agreement say?

Whose name is on the lease? Is it just A or is everyone else on their own agreement?

Landlord fucked this up
>>
>>1403686
>Am I legally required to give him any money?
Not unless a judge orders it in court
>each give him directly $450
Easily less than the fees he'd be paying to a lawyer to take you to court so...He's gotta get a gut check

The more "normal" thing to do, would (A) gets damage assessed and gets his deposit back, and (C)/(D) pay 2/3 deposit and sign new lease and wash away all the old shit that had nothing to do with them.

>His father simply said "Sorry it was just a miscommunication".
His father isn't on the lease correct? So it's really none of his business as far as a court will see it.

You're not legally required to give kid (A)'s father anything. The only thing legally binding here is the lease you signed with the landlord. If there's no lease, there will be a local landlord/tenant act/set of bylaws that's going to come into play. But it would then be up in the air as to what's been agreed upon by (A) and (C)/(D) which, if it's not on paper it's he said she said. So...like >>1403705 said, get some, make some.

Kid (A) is a retard for paying 1/2 rent, and not 1/3 with (C) and (D)....Also for not collecting deposit from FUCKING THREE OTHER FUCKING PEOPLE.

Kid (A) is a dipshit and his dad trying to undipshit his life.

Oh, and start looking for a new place, chances are you will be moving.

>source, my mom was a landlord for years and I've been through the court process with a landlord in my country and have signed a lease in another country and been dinged for my deposit.

If you're really worried, speak to a lawyer, actually call every lawyer you can. If that lawyer, his desk person says "we don't do that" politely ask "can you recommend someone who does?" and normally they have a suggestion. If kid (A)'s dad talks about lawyer, realize it's a bluff as actually paying a lawyer is expensive and a hassle taking it to court. Your living situation will be retarded as kid (A) is probably through it all so like I said, look for another place to live.
>>
>>1403712
>Landlord fucked this up
complete amateur moves seemingly the entire time
>>
>>1403716
>Your living situation will be retarded as kid (A) is probably through it all so like I said, look for another place to live
*Is as retarded as Kid (A) probably is though,
>>
>>1403712

Names on lease: My name (D), my friends name (C), kid (A) and his dad as a co-sign.

>>1403716

>The more "normal" thing to do, would (A) gets damage assessed and gets his deposit back, and (C)/(D) pay 2/3 deposit and sign new lease and wash away all the old shit that had nothing to do with them.

This would be a viable option however my friend (C) is already refusing to give forth any more money other than monthly rent for the apartment. Also we are all splitting seperate ways comes the end of this lease (spread out across MA).

>Kid (A) is a retard for paying 1/2 rent, and not 1/3 with (C) and (D)....Also for not collecting deposit from FUCKING THREE OTHER FUCKING PEOPLE

Must be nice being rich right? Thats basically the only reason payment is set up this way. My friend (C) and I (D) actually work to produce money for the rent. (A) is 23, only ever worked for 1 year at Lowe's (this was one year prior to his initial year at the apartment) his father bought him a $25,000 sports car, paid for it to get extra turboed and not only has (A) crashed it twice, has been to driver retraining 5 TIMES and has over 20 speeding tickets on record, still somehow has a fucking license. His father is still paying his insurance while also paying the rent every month while (A) watches anime and smokes weird flavored tobacoo out of a Dumbledore pipe. Did I mention hes angry about a meer $900 for a security deposit while all that is in effect? Yup, its fucked.

>Kid (A) is a dipshit and his dad trying to undipshit his life.

His father is enabling his dipshitty life.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.