[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In Game Economies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (77KB, 640x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 640x333px
Assuming humanity moves closer and closer to a post scarcity economy, what will the role of virtual items become?

I believe that at some point, a large portion of economic activity will involve digital goods, as real goods are manufactured by machines.

Assuming that this is path we go down, how can we profit from this?

Should we start online games with inner economies, and tax the shit out of them?

Pic unrelated.
>>
I should probably mention that this is pretty much how valve makes all of their money at this point.

There isn't a cost associated with it at all, valve just sits back and rakes in a cut of other people's economic output.
>>
>>1402462

the answer is Augmented reality
>>
>>1402462
we've already gone down this path a great while ago, and as you mentioned the way to monetize on it is to be the distributor.
>>
I don't know, things are still in motion. The whole "digital goods" thing is very fishy.

First off, it's a misnomer, they're not selling you any goods, they're selling you the right to access, which is usually made non-transferrable and subject to change. Hence why Amazon can (and does) just remove books you bought on Kindle because Amazon lost the rights. Also, non-transferrable means you can't resell used digital goods and more importantly you can't bequeathe those. so as of now digital goods fill the same function as physical goods (games, music CDs, books), but 95% of digital goods cannot be inherited by your children. It hasn't come up a lot, but once the current generation starts dying, who has iTunes, Steam and Kindle libraries on the order of thousands of dollars shit will hit the fan.

And there's no telling what'll happen. Either they keep the status quo, then it'll be lucrative as hell, because you're selling the same songs to every generation. Or it'll break down, because once you have a perfect digital copy in your family you can just pass it around to everyone forever and long-tails will stop being a thing.

We'll see.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.