[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resume Opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Resume pt 1.png (73KB, 1387x682px) Image search: [Google]
Resume pt 1.png
73KB, 1387x682px
Hey /biz/, I was wondering if anyone had opinions on this resume. I'm 25 soon to be 26, and coming out of a 3 month long break after nearly 3 years at my previous job. I hated it the entire time and only did it for the money, so I put in my two-weeks notice, quit respectfully and with a ton of good references that mentioned they'd be glad to help me out.

I did service engineering and software support in my previous role, but fucking hate talking to customers (like most people). I was apparently really good at it however as I moved up a lot in 2 and a half years.

I think I finally found out the type of role that would fit me however, and it's that of a Technical Writer. Someone that writes up the user guides, creates good documentation, training slides, etc all of that good stuff.

In the meantime, I've also applied to some random stuff that I thought might be fun, because I feel like life is an adventure, and I also feel like I choose the wrong degree in college. I feel like I should have chosen a science like Geology, or Biology to get a career doing research and working in nature. Interesting stuff that isn't just about selling software to companies that I couldn't give two shits about.

1.) How does this resume look in your opinion, and is there anything I should change?

2.) Does anyone here have experience with jobs in the sciences like geology and such, and if a degree is absolutely required to get your foot in the door?

Thanks.
>>
File: Resume pt 2.png (58KB, 961x679px) Image search: [Google]
Resume pt 2.png
58KB, 961x679px
>>1402234
Part 2.
>>
>>1402239
Change keeping cool to maintaining composure
>>
>>1402244
Good catch there, thanks.
>>
What does /biz/ think of this format? Some communications teacher in college made me use that template for a resume assignment and have been using it since. Did I get cucked by the college meme?

Also info is not up to date, just looking for opinions on template
>>
File: FirstDraft.png (40KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
FirstDraft.png
40KB, 1240x1754px
>>1402299
and forgot attachment
>>
>>1402239

Fit all to one page, get rid of that cringe fucking 'bonus'
>>
>>1402300

Font is much too sharp, jagged edges, fix that w different font. Text on right side is very condensed, cramped together. Gray banner at the top is tacky and takes up unnecessary space. Description text is too faint.

Otherwise, eh. Pick a different format
>>
>>1402299
Hideous.
>>
>>1402359
Could someone explain the one page thing? I figure if you put the most important stuff on the first page, if they're interested in you, they could keep reading. At least that's how I would think about it if I were hiring someone.

Why is more information not as good, especially if you make sure to put the best stuff in front?
>>
>>1402300
if you're gonna say you can use latex, make your resume in latex. it's butt ugly as it is. make everything in a top to bottom format so no one has to hunt for your info. simplify simplify simplify.. streamline your language: instead on seek to find analyst position write seeking an analyst position. if you already graduated, put your education at the bottom and employment at the top
>>
Pretty bland and boring add some rainbow font and memes and you'll be golden my man
>>
>>1402234
remove "but not limited to", sounds like a tryhard. Bonus is also obnoxious and maybe try to shorten your text a little bit.
>>
File: style-preview.png (129KB, 548x709px) Image search: [Google]
style-preview.png
129KB, 548x709px
>>1402299
I suggest a different format bro, anything from top to bottom. Google some resume templates, but I like pic related. I'd probably remove personal data and just put my email and phone number below the name. As for the font, I kinda like Opensans for normal text and Gillsans for any headers.

Tell me something though. Your proficiency with Vviews, Gretel, Matlab and even Java. Did you learn all of that by yourself before you got the job or was it work related? Just curious, because I'm econ undergrad as well.
>>
OP here. Tip for anyone that's getting stuck on the process of just FORMATTING the resume, I paid Resume Genius 2 dollars for 14 days of using their service before they start charging 39.99 a month, and they're pretty amazing.

https://resumegenius.com/

I just created my resume in all of the available templates that they have. I'm cancelling the service at the end of July, so that I'll be left with a bunch of formats that I just need to modify with information from that point on.

They also automatically create a cover letter for you, which you can then edit to your hearts desire.
>>
File: Image 4.png (90KB, 814x616px) Image search: [Google]
Image 4.png
90KB, 814x616px
>>1402691
just signed up and used this. great tool. literally never had a resume before and now I have this

the reason it may look strange is because I whited out parts.
>>
>>1402821
Yeah. Easy as shit.

I've never had something before either where I could actually sit and look at it, and think that "wow, it looks like I'm actually a good hire with a bunch of experience in these places."
>>
>>1402668
Sorry for the late reply bro, eviews and gretel were learned from econometric classes in uni. We also did linear regressions in excel in other classes. When I worked for texas a&m I learned matlab, simetar, latex and some other stuff.

Programming was kind of a hobby so I knew java and c. Excel vba I picked up pretty easily just to write macros and make my job easier.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.