[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good grades vs. job experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1395479446265.png (3KB, 194x247px) Image search: [Google]
1395479446265.png
3KB, 194x247px
Hello /biz/.

I'm in university for mathematics, and so far my first year I've been doing really well and kept my grades as high as humanly possible.

This summer I landed a summer job at this company programming in VBA and SQL, and also doing a lot of Excel monkey shit. The company really liked what I was doing, and offered me to work there one day in the week for the coming year.

Upsides are that I'll be able to get really good at VBA and SQL, get more job experience and make money. The downside is that it's not a very large or well known company, and that I won't be able to get top tier grades anymore. I'm also becoming a TA next year so I don't really how to combine it and if I should.

Any advice for someone in a situation like me?
>>
>>1402154
I just graduated a few months ago and am having a hell of a time getting a solid job because I lack experiences and my resume is pretty thin. Unless you're going to some ivy league school, no one really cares about your grades. They just care that you have a degree. Stick with the job, it'll pay off way more than a 4.0.
>>
Do it. You're only in your second year. If it becomes significantly harder and you see a big drop in grades, then you know you can't do it.
>>
>>1402166
seconded

work experience beats grades 100% of the time

i've even heard recruiters say that they prefer bad grades, because it shows efficiency. if you get by with the least amount of effort, you're doing something right.

it probably depends on who's running HR though and what exact position you're shooting for.
>>
>>1402154
Experience trumps grades. Good grades is more important if you want to go academic route.
If your grades slip to much do as the other guy said and drop the work or work less. Get the experience now and you can get a better internship later on if needed.
>>
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll take this opportunity.
>>
Just leave the TA position if you're worried about your grades.
>>
>>1402154
>The downside is that it's not a very large or well known company
That doesn't matter. The experience you will get is the important part.
>>
File: 1416604392530.jpg (117KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1416604392530.jpg
117KB, 1920x1080px
>>1402154
go for the experience. means way more than grades in IT
>>
>>1402206
>Good grades is more important if you want to go academic route.

They're not even very important there.

t. academic
>>
File: FUCK YEAH.gif (2MB, 245x276px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK YEAH.gif
2MB, 245x276px
>>1402199
>TFW you have a C average at accounting/finance
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.