[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Falling for the Education Meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: donkeycocks.jpg (39KB, 400x360px) Image search: [Google]
donkeycocks.jpg
39KB, 400x360px
Should I try and start my own business or get a degree and some experience first?
>>
>>1394945
School is for people that can't think for themselves
>>
>>1394947
How did that job interview work out?
>>
>>1394947
Perhaps, but real world experience (Translator's Note: A chance to fuck up and learn from my mistake.) on a business that isn't my baby is not a bad thing. People also seem to like the piece of paper with my name on it.
>>
>>1394945
Get a degree in something you can't learn through self-study. Something with broad applications.

What you can and cannot learn through self-study depends on you, obviously. But most folks wouldn't have difficulty learning business through self-practice and study. Mathematics, law, engineering, etc.
You can always get a job related to your degree, it will always look good on your resume and no matter what you do you'll find the knowledge useful.
>>
>>1394947
Yeah, because Isaac Newton, Richard Feynman, Elon Musk, Einstein, and 99% of all great business men, scientists, and engineers couldn't think for themselves :^)
>>
>>1394945
>>1394956
Forgot to add: "starting your business" is meaningless bullshit. You don't set that as a goal, if you do you'll never succeed.
You study, work and plan. When an idea/opportunity pops up you seize it and grow from there. Which is exactly what >>1394957 did.

College dropout because awesome opportunity =/= never went to college.
>>
>>1394962
I already have the idea, I just don't feel like I have the faculties to pursue it without fucking up. I'm asking if I should I just dive in or get an education and some relevant experience first?
>>
well generally you need money to start a business, and to acquire money you need a job, and to acquire a good job you usually require a degree
>>
>>1394969
>an education
That's the problem statement. Are you looking for the knowledge you need to start your business, or just general discipline/knowledge?

What field is your business in? Does it require any special understanding? Do you have any experience? Is your intended business time-sensitive? Are you confident in it's success?

A lot of things factor into your decision, friend. Can you start your business while simultaneously studying? Good for your faculties, frees up the time you need, simultaneous backup plan AND you get to make tons of friends/connections.

But tell me more first.
>>
>>1394986
I could start it without any specific knowledge I can only get in college but I could use lessons about good management practices, some education in finances, some stuff about avoiding the pitfalls associated with working across borders. It's not like I need the classes really, but they sure as hell won't hurt. What I mostly want is experience and basically every situation where I could get some wants a degree or a student studying for a degree. Not time sensitive and I am 90% confident in it. I can't start the business wile studying.

I probably sound rather naive about college simply because it's not my primary concern here. My concern is the piece of paper that lets me walk up to someone and say "Hey fucko, give me this temp position and I'll learn through observation and participation how to do what you're doing but on my own and do a thousand times better than you could ever dream of."
>>
>>1394972
Can confirm. Truth
>>
>>1394999
Sounds like college is not what you're after. I tried college for a business degree myself once, made it through 6 months before quitting because I realized it was retarded.

Take some courses instead, get those certificates for show and knowledge. Much more hands on and usually those courses don't insult your intelligence or waste your time.
Do a lot of reading, once you have a good grasp on things build from there.

Start networking. Go to meetups, conferences, you name it. Get the word out with everyone you meet you're looking to learn, have certificates, etc. and surely some opportunities to grow will come along.

However keep in mind this is only for the STRONGLY self-motivated that are willing to keep this up all day errday while paying the bills. If you do, you'll beat the results of college by miles. If you do not have the energy/willpower/motivation to do this as hardcore as is required, just go to college. Seriously. It ain't that bad.
>>
>>1394999
>>1395076
Once again, forgot to add something:
I don't know what your financial situation is like, but look into high-level paid courses. If you can afford a couple of grand you could get some highly acclaimed certificates which businesses will legit suck your dick for.

That being said; they are highly sector-specific so I can't tell you what is right for you without knowing your intended business. Not to mention they're basically scams considering how much you pay for them. Think of them like instant college degrees priced accordingly.
>>
>>1394945
There's a reason you hear about people who never went to college doing amazingly in business; It's very rare, the majority of successful people have degree's. Do STEM or a business degree and you will be far better off
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.