[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to become a psychological therapist of some kind, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 5382133328_445d29092d.jpg (204KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
5382133328_445d29092d.jpg
204KB, 500x375px
I want to become a psychological therapist of some kind, but I'm not sure how to categorise myself.

I don't have a medical degree, so I can't prescribe medicine or use the word "psychiatrist."

Basically I would be employing mixed Freudian, Jungian, and hypnotic techniques to help my clients get things off their chest, and provide them with gentle explanations for their execrable personal habits, which they can then dissociate themselves from and abandon.

I would rent a small office and deck it out with rugs, blankets, a patient's couch and other stereotypical psychiatric stuff. I would dress like Paul Spector from "The Hunt," sort of dressy casual, very respectable but also very approachable-looking.

How should I go about this from a legal and business perspective? What would you do, /biz/?
>>
File: Gallery2.jpg (43KB, 554x344px) Image search: [Google]
Gallery2.jpg
43KB, 554x344px
>>1388714
>Paul Spector from "The Hunt,"
Which turns out to be called "The Fall."
>>
>>1388714
>Basically I would be employing mixed Freudian, Jungian, and hypnotic techniques
You want to be a psychoanalyst. Which basically means getting a PhD if not also a MD. From a legal perspective if you need to be educated and get the proper certifications. From a business perspective it's a matter of building a client base. Within the psychoanalytic community one gets clients basically through mentors and colleagues working out of the same institutions like ICP. It's not an easy path and you'll have to want it.

In general I'd stay away from Freud orthodoxy and Jungian shit. It's good to study these folks but from a clinical perspective staying Freudian would be like operating with a Newtonian model when there are more accurate and updated approaches. If you're in Canada or France you might want to look into the Lacanian groups. IF you're in the UK maybe Tavistock. In the USA check out ICP and maybe Emory's program.
>>
>>1388757
There's no law that gives psychiatrists a monopoly over therapeutic conversation.

There is one for prescribing medicine or claiming medical authority, neither of which I intend to do.

To be honest, I only intend to be one step up from a tarot reader. The conceptual tools I use to create a sense of catharsis could just as easily be drawn from religion as from Freud at al

Since I won't be going the medical-professional route, I'm considering a study of how self-help seminars etc get their customers.
>>
>>1389029
There are laws that only grant licensure in therapeutic diagnosis and intervention to clinical psychologists with PhDs and clinical counselors with MA/MS degrees.

You want to be a con artist. Nothing wrong with that, but you're limited to life coaching and seminars, most of which require you to actually be good at what you do to make that bank. It's harder work than actual work. In any case, you have to ditch the look and be a professional with a professional office.
>>
>>1389703
Why would I want to give diagnoses, or "intervene" in some medically specific way? I don't want to prescribe medicine or claim medical authority, anon, how many ways do I need to say it?

Basically, yes, whatever, I want to be an emotional masseur.

Life coaching seems like more of a power-tool buying middle-aged man thing. I am going after a female demographic, because they've been the most receptive to this in the past.
>>
The other anon and I have given you the most legitimate answers you're ever going to get on an anonymous Chinese cartoon message board and you're caught up being in your psychic reader fantasy scam. You are legitimate cancer to this board, kindly leave.
>>
>>1390450
You've given answers to a question nobody asked because you felt like being wise.
Sort of a Dunning-Kruger thing.

Example:
Q: Is there water on Mars?
A: Well gosh, everyone knows there's no such thing as Martians. I know that, that's a thing I know. Mars is red, by the way.
>>
I spent a lot of times with different psychiatrists over my years, and I found one that I liked the best, and they actually had 2 cats in the office, it was pretty crazy seeing it, people would come in crying and shit and the cats would jump up on their lap and they would be happy again.
>>
>>1391641
I like this idea.
>>
What you're describing sounds like a toned-down version of cuddle cafés or maid cafés popular in Japan. People pay to be paid attention to and receive harmless advice.

Look into making yourself physically/socially attractive. Research related "holistic" services you can offer and maybe become an entrepreneur. I'd also recommend some bartending/mixology experience because host skills.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.