[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on home buying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: PITIA-home-buying-bend-oregon.jpg (147KB, 825x582px) Image search: [Google]
PITIA-home-buying-bend-oregon.jpg
147KB, 825x582px
Anyone have any advice on home buying?

How do I figure out where I should live?

Anyone know where I should go to look up stuff? Demographics, crime, tax rates, school ratings, all of that stuff? Is there any place that does projections of property values and all that other stuff into the future?

I work in West Chester Ohio and make about $40k/year. I'm currently living with my parents and don't really like the idea of renting because it seems like burning money. Maybe renting makes a lot of sense in places like NYC but I'm not sure it does in South West Ohio.

Anybody have any useful thoughts, non-sequiturs, or insults?
>>
>Yes
>You should live where you want to (I suggest living as close to work as possible)
>Do you own research. Unless you're in an urban setting, the collected data won't be great.
>>
Secure financing before talking to a realtor. Don't let the realtor know your actual top-end number. Always make offers contingent on passing a home inspection from someone reputable. Always cut 10-15% off the asking price for your initial offer. If a home has been on the market for a long time you can seriously lowball them. Realtors will tell you these offers are insulting but they're shabbos goyim so tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>1387543
>don't really like the idea of renting because it seems like burning money
>>
>>1387543
>How do I figure out where I should live?
"Next to work". If that is 15/20/30/45 minutes of driving, or walking/biking distance is up to you.

>Anyone know where I should go to look up stuff?
Enjoy being 'Merican.

>Anybody have any useful thoughts, non-sequiturs, or insults?
Home owning is cheaper than rents in the long term. But it has a cost of rooting, meaning once its purchased, your "mobility" decreases in the short term. But its also practically liquid fiat if the house is located in a place where people can live, and its in good condition.

But seriously, condition is worth a lot. A lot of idiots gets scammed because they don't:
1. Check for mold
2. Smell for mold
3. They "assume" everything past the floorboard is intact
4. They assume they have the energy to renovate the house to their level. The reality is that a lot of people overestimate how much you have the energy to do.
>>
>>1387543
realtor here.

Have 20% down payment to avoid PMI.

Use Trulia to look up crime, demographics are available online, I think city-data site has that.

Don't be afraid to low-ball
>>
>>1387573
>Realtors will tell you these offers are insulting but they're shabbos goyim so tell them to fuck off.

lol

>>1387588
>1. Check for mold
>2. Smell for mold

Good point. I have asthma and my lungs garbage on a good day.

>>1387600
>Have 20% down payment to avoid PMI.

Never heard of PMI before now, thanks.
>>
>>1387543
OP, I too live in Ohio, and I do think the cinci area would be a fair area to buy a house in. I'm not sure if there is a bubble where you live, but up here there's not and people are telling me not to buy a $115k house while making 40k a year.

I know for a fact my local areas real estate will only go UP UP UP and it's not in a bubble. 30 minutes outside of Columbus and a bunch of well paying middle class jobs that only require HS diploma

(manufacturing and warehouses)
>>
>>1387543
Google some searches for state and local home buyer grants. I live in Wisconsin and there are state and local programs(federally funded) to help you buy homes and even help pay closing prices. Here there are income caps for these programs, but they are much higher than 40k/year. Also, here they require decent credit and that you take a home buyer class that costs from like $150-250.
>>
>>1387543
>don't really like the idea of renting because it seems like burning money.

If you're not outright buying a house with cash, you're basically only renting the house for twice its worth.
>>
>>1387543
I would be careful about buying a home right now. Alot of the US housing market is bubbling because of foreign money. I suspect we're gearing toward another housing bubble burst.
>>
>tfw 22
>the pay $1015/ month for condo
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.