[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/biz/ opinions of The Big Short?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 66600008.jpg (74KB, 720x288px) Image search: [Google]
66600008.jpg
74KB, 720x288px
/biz/ opinions of The Big Short?
>>
File: bigshort1.jpg (197KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bigshort1.jpg
197KB, 1280x720px
yfw you realize every character in The Big Short is pure evil, even the "good guys".

“I was an early advocate for trying to get mortgages restructured in a massive, systemic way, because we had a big problem. And there were people who shorted the ABX index, who I assume are the ones being kind of backhandedly glorified in this book, who were actively opposing us because they made money. The more people who lost their houses, the more money they made.” -Sheila Bair
>>
>>1386668
Garbage pandering to dumb liberal millennials that blame their own bubble and irresponsible borrowing on banks
>>
>>1386724
>He fell for the people are stupid meme
HAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>1386724
It has nothing to do with people, people just want to buy a house, it's the fucking people who give them the loans that are just greedy. That fake Mexican guy didn't do anything and paid his rent, but millions of people like him were fucked over because banks didn't feel like double checking anything.
>>
>>1386668
It would have been a much better movie if it had looked at all three sides of the issue instead of just focusing on the side liberals hate the most, focusing on the second side in passing, and completely ignoring the third side:

>1: Wall Street and the banks were greedy handing out the mortgages like candy and were also lying about their volatility
You saw the movie, you know all about this

>2: people who had no business getting mortgages and homes got them anyways
The movie showed the one dumb stripper who had five mortgages (for her her five homes, if I remember correctly?), and yes it's the banks fault for loaning her so much money, but it was also her fault for being dumb enough to borrow all of that money in the first place. Also the movie did focus briefly on those two real estate brokers who were dumb enough to give mortgages to anyone, but at the same time, the people taking out those mortgages should also be blamed for living above their means, which the movie didn't focus on and even defended poor people (and immigrants for some reason, not really relevant at all) even though it was very much their fault too

>3: the immense amount of pressure the government puts on the banks to give questionable people mortgages
The movie completely ignored this angle even though it's a huge reason why banks gave out so many garbage mortgages (and still do today). Yes the banks made shitloads of money on these shitty mortgages too, and that's why they didn't complain when the government made them do this, but the movie shouldn't have ignored the fact that the government wants poor people in homes they own for a variety of reasons even though they probably shouldn't

Those are the 3 reasons why we had the 2008 financial crisis, 1 of which was mainly blamed in the movie, the second mentioned in passing, and the third completely ignored
>>
>>1387834
Stripper has 5 houses and a condo
Everyone and their mother with interest only mortgages
>I'll just refinance
>can't pass CFA but somehow knew it was bullshit in high school
Yeah ok bruh the 1%ers damn them
>brb getting a flat screen with a HEL
>>
>>1387881
Liberals would never blame poor dumb people or the government even though they both had their hands in creating the crisis, it's just not going to happen
>>
>>1387834
Boy are you spreading some BS here. Mortgages were bundled and sold as securities, and the people who received mortgages simply stopped paying them back. The banks were squeezed by the Feds who threatened them with the Community re-Investment act penalties if they didn't make loans to poor people. The banks usual practice of checking income was deemed 'unfair' since it discriminated against the poor.
>>
survival of the fittest IMO

i wish the film didn't dumb shit down as much desu. should have had more faith in its audience.
>>
File: tfw2.jpg (54KB, 984x554px) Image search: [Google]
tfw2.jpg
54KB, 984x554px
>$23K a year job at WalMart
>finance $2m mcmansion and $76K chrome rims for the Escalade
>get laid off form WalMart

clearly it was the fault of boomers' and crony capitalism
>>
I liked it over all. It did a good job of simplifying its concepts for a general audience. My biggest issue with the film is that it ignores the CRA's complicity in poor credit borrowers receiving loans.
>>
>>1387880
This anon has it right. The movie does a fairly decent job of shining light on some dirty corners that definitely needed light shined on them but it conspicuously ignores other equally bad or worse corners and it just makes the whole thing come off as a biased piece of shit.
>>
I kekd at that scene. Shows how morally corrupt our celebrity worshipping society is
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.