[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal Finance Flowchart

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: flow.png (53KB, 1180x876px) Image search: [Google]
flow.png
53KB, 1180x876px
Do you agree or disagree with any part of this flowchart?

tl;dr below are just my details, you can comment your thoughts without reading anything below.

I have a 3 months emergency fund ($5000) but am working on a 6 month slowly. My current monthly expenses are $2200 but I factor in that I could drop this $500 by not eating out, stop buying luxuries, etc.

I contribute to my 401k to maximize my employer match but do not focus down by current $4000 student loan debt. I'm currently paying the minimum and at that rate will pay it off in 6 years with about $600 total in interest payments.

I contribute almost the max to my ROTH IRA at $100/wk or $5200/yr (94% of the $5500 cap)

Now here is where I really deviate from this. I want to skip over any further 401k contributions and jump right to investments and reason being is I need more liquidity in my investments for the unforseen emergencies and even non-emergencies (second home, etc.)

Thoughts?
>>
what happens if you go over your ira cap?
>>
>>1381400

>owe loans
>want to invest

the best investment you could make is being debt free first
>>
>>1381400
I understand your concern about liquidity, but its important to consider the consequences of your allocation strategy. The monies you put in your taxable investment account are, of course, taxable. That means you've got less to invest than if you put those same monies in the 401k.

Let's assume your effective tax rate is 15%. And you've got $10k annually that you could put in either a 401k or a taxable account. Except in the case of the taxable account, it won't be $10k ... it'll be $8.5k thanks to taxes. Next year, same thing. Etc. And while the spread might not seem large at first, now imagine the power of compounding working on those balances over many years. You're giving up potentially hundreds of thousands of future wealth by choosing the taxable account.

Also, isn't it possible that this concern will work itself out in the future anyway? By which I mean, many diligent savers eventually find themselves with too much income to put into tax-advantaged accounts anyway. I don't know what your future wage/salary prospects look like, but if you're eventually going to be forced into using a taxable account in the not-distant future, why intentionally suffer the costs now?

In any event, I applaud your commitment to savings either way. Whatever you choose, I think you're still going to be vastly ahead of your peers.
>>
>>1381460

I agree but wouldn't mediocre market performance on investments be greater than the interest I'll pay? In addition to that the interest is tax deductable.
>>
>>1381564

pay it off or the jews win

bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
>>
>>1381569

Since you put it that way..

I'll pay it off.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.