[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying vs Leasing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Can anyone explain to me why buying makes more sense than leasing? Everyone says "because you own the car", except by the time you have paid the car off, it's usually worthless and worth only a fraction of it's private party resale value as a trade-in. What exactly am I missing here..? Or is the buying > leasing thing just a meme?
>>
Pay cash for a used car with 60k miles and sell 10 months later for more or less what you paid for.
Repeat.
>>
>>1369879
This, and don't crash it for fucks sakes don't crash it! Also, if you're in a rich arab country and happen to know a few rich family's like myself, you might be able get a bargain of one of em getting rid of one of their many super cars. I got offered a 458 Italia for like 85k
>>
>>1369879
>Assuming no repairs/maintenance
>Assuming anyone will want the car
>Assuming no value of time investment to churn through vehicles like this
>>
A car is a depreciating asset. The very fact that you choose to own a car means you're accepting some level of loss on it.

The idea is to limit those losses. You buy a car with depreciation factored in for one (3-4 years old). Second you buy it cash outright to avoid interest and financing fees (or 0% financing if available). Lastly you pick a make or model know for reliability to keep expected maintenance costs low.

Leasing in the single most expensive way to own a vehicle out of all the options out there.

If you're a true /biz/nessman and non of that matters to you; go out and lease a lambo.
>>
>>1369913
i don't buy a car, i don't own a car, i don't lease a car, i don't steal cars, yet i drive a car every day.

feels good man.
>>
>>1369924
How?

>inb4 mom and dads car
>>
>>1369913
>Leasing in the single most expensive way to own a vehicle out of all the options out there.

This really isn't true though, I've been researching this for a long time now and usually leasing and buying can work out to within a $500-$1,000 price difference, everything factored in. The difference is that with a lease you have a huge convenience advantage and peace of mind.
>>
>>1369935
All depends on the dealership. Some dealers might argue the car was returned in shit condition and will need new interior panels, seats etc..
>>
>>1369933
i drive the company cars i don't pay for them or the gas. they replace them every 5 years, or when one gets rekt. it's free car literally. just one of the many perks.

and when you break it the insurance company pays for it and you get an other one next day. there is a little penalty you have to pay tho like 1-2% of the damages on a totaled car.
>>
>>1369849
Doesn't the lease terms have mileage limits in it or some shit? If you go over you can get fucked hard

>>1369924
How fun. A riddle. Your company owns the car? Just explain yourself faggot
>>
>>1369947
>Doesn't the lease terms have mileage limits in it or some shit? If you go over you can get fucked hard

Yeah, true. This is the only disadvantage I can think of in regards to leasing, but if you don't plan to drive a shit load, you're fine. Average is 12k miles/year for most leases.
>>
>>1369935
With a lease you're paying for the cost of depreciation. Keep researching, you came to the wrong conclusion.

>convenience
>peace of mind
Justification - which is fine if that's the route you want to take. There's a reason car dealers push leases so hard. They make a killing off of them. They don't advertise things that save you money.

>>1369945
>dem perks
Wish my job offered that.
>>
>>1369955
>>dem perks
>Wish my job offered that.
well downside is i have to drive the damn thing in company business.
sometimes on death roads for hours and hours.
you might say i pay for it by shaving off my lifespan.
>>
Vehicles are purely utilities; they get you from point A to point B. They are not assets, and should not be treated or looked at as such.

Buying a car gives it permanency, which also means that eventually you will own it outright and will not have to make any payments on it--freeing up that cashflow for other use. Additionally, it cannot be taken away after you own it outright (save of it being pledged as collateral elsewhere or some form of lawsuit), so if you lose your job, you still have your car. That being said, you're also stuck with the same car until you sell it and will have to make due with it and any mechanical issues it may have.

Leasing is a perpetual hemorrhage on your cashflow. Until you own a car or find other means of transportation, the car expense will always exist. The advantage of leasing is that you are able to 'trade up' to newer cars much more easily and frequently than the typical car buyer and can avoid the bulk of the expensive repair costs usually. However, since it is a cashflow dependent proposition, if you lose your income stream, you stand to lose your car and have no personal means of transportation.

The choice depends purely on what you value. If you have very reliable income and value getting a new car every handful of years, leasing may work for you. If you value not having car payments after owning it outright and not having the risk of losing your transportation, or having certain lease contract limits, buying may be a good option for you.
>>
Lease efficiency varies greatly, but it is usually the most expensive. You are basically paying for the depreciation of the car when it's depreciation is the most violent. It usually costs almost as much as a monthly if you finance, but then you get to decide when it's most advantageous to sell.

For most people owning/ leasing a car is not about sound financials, and mostly an ego trip. If you want to be smart about driving and save money you will do one of the following:
>Buy well used cars for cheap, maintain them, and drive them into the ground.

>buy an efficient new car with cash or mostly cash and drive it for over 100k miles.

I have been doing the former for years and it's working out great. My car ownership costs are almost fucking positive. I know that's not for everyone. Their is risk, and sometimes work, but my cost per mile since like 2005 is about as low as it gets.

It's fine if your car is a vanity purchase, just be honest about it.
>>
>>1370266

Yeah I think if you have more income, a safety fund, and a good credit history the 2nd option is by far the best choice but if you don't the first option is always available
>>
>>1370206
>Vehicles are purely utilities; they get you from point A to point B. They are not assets, and should not be treated or looked at as such.

After purchase, a vehicle is a fixed asset.
>>
>>1369849
>Can anyone explain to me why buying makes more sense than leasing?

A lease is essentially a rental, you are paying cost + profit for whoever actually bought the thing. If you need a car why not simply buy it yourself and cut out the middle man?

In most cases it's like buying a house vs renting in a town you are certain you will live in until the day you die. It makes no sense to hedge your risk of moving or your chance of not needing to own a car.
>>
>>1369913
Ever since the recession used cars seem to be depreciating at a much slower rate.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.