[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying a first house?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: house-for-sale-sign-aja170vpv.jpg (68KB, 640x275px) Image search: [Google]
house-for-sale-sign-aja170vpv.jpg
68KB, 640x275px
Hello /biz/

I am about 30 years old. I figure it's about time to move out of my mom's house (she is disabled - I pay half her mortgage, it's a long story)

There's a bunch of houses in the $100,000 to $150,000 range near me. I have saved $15,000 that I could use for a down payment. This will leave me several thousand left in my bank account.

Is this a good idea or should I rent an apartment? I never moved to an apartment because they are really expensive and seem like a waste of money.

Thanks /biz/
>>
do you plan to stay in the same place for over 5 years
do you plan to have kids soon

if no to both then rent
>>
>>1358976
>do you plan to stay in the same place for over 5 years

Yes. Forever. I don't travel, I have no friends or social life, I hate change.

>do you plan to have kids soon

lol no, I plan to keep my virginity intact, thank you very much
>>
>>1358963
Buy $150k house. Need $30k downpayment. Rent out 1 room to someone sane for $400pm (+ utilities). Pay mortgage as quickly as possible.
>>
If you cant afford to put down 20% on a house. You cant afford it.
>>
>>1358994
then owning beats renting
save for 30k down for 150k, hope you like yardwork
>>
>>1358994
bad excuse for being a faggot
>>
>>1358963

Are you me?

I'm 27, live with mom, have no life but a decent $70k/yr job, currently paying the mortgage because mom's on worker's comp for another few months.

Problem is I live and work in NY and everything is expensive as fuck. Don't particularly want a landlord but don't want to throw down a $80k down payment either.
>>
>>1358963

Man, the only houses in my area are 700-900k and I would have to pay a stupid mortgage, like nearly 5k and that's before any property taxes and living expenses.

LOL, fuck Toronto. Gonna rent and let them subsidize me.
>>
File: 115511651.jpg (70KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
115511651.jpg
70KB, 960x540px
>>1358963
Only if you want to buy housing in inner big city Canada, like Toronto.

It's a stable market with strong domestic support that will never fail, invest now for a good long term payoff and a steady place to live in that you actually own.
>>
>>1359005
>>1359007

Really? Is home ownership only for the upper class then?

>>1359159

This is Kansas. We are in the top-three for cheapest housing in the US

http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/
>>
>>1359159

>Will never fail

Well, until people cannot afford to make their mortgage payments, and 70% of homes in Toronto can't afford another 2% increase in their loan rate...

Buying into the hype markets of Toronto and Vancouver is suicide now.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.