[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

liberal majors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

So the way I see the job market right now is that unless you are in a science major, you have to go through extensive job searching only to get a job that pays you very little.

My question is how do you think this issue could be solved? Do you guys respect people with a bachelor of Arts?
>>
>>1351945
>My question is how do you think this issue could be solved?
Stop giving out loans to people who plan to do retarded majors.
>Do you guys respect people with a bachelor of Arts?
Absolutely not.
>>
>>1351949
Well they're just doing what they feel passionate for. Why do you hate them so much?
>>
>>1351952
I don't hate them. I just don't respect them. Especially when they are unable to find a job and ask for gibs.
>>
>>1351957
Well they can in fact get a job. But the job they get tends to pay very little. What arts majors do you know are "asking for gibs."
>>
>>1351957
This. I found music is one of the few things I actually enjoy when I started college. Like, the theory of it, "classical" music, etc.

I don't really like math.

Guess which is my major?

I'll never hate someone for picking music as a major; I wish I had the luxury to do so, but I don't want to hear them asking for handouts because they can only get a job being a music teacher, either. A lot of majors can still be monetized with a bit of ingenuity, anyway.
>>
>>1351945
A bSci degree isn't a golden ticket unless you scored in the top tenth percentile of your program.

Having some oversight into hiring in my firm, I genuinely prefer the skill sets taught by most Arts programs to those who come to me with bSci or bComm degrees.
Project management firm, for reference.
>>
File: still-owe-45k_zps9f447a25.jpg (45KB, 640x454px) Image search: [Google]
still-owe-45k_zps9f447a25.jpg
45KB, 640x454px
>>1351959
>>
>>1351960
The luxury to do so?
>>
>>1351967
I wish to secure a financial foothold personally and don't have the leeway to pick the riskier major of Music in accomplishing such.
>>
A liberal arts major is a very self-satisfying degree, you get to study and practice your art, and share your passion with your other motived peers.

If you're graduate with a nice portfolio, the chances of you landing a well paying gig within your desired field is greatly increased.

I think the reason lib majors get such a bad rap is because a fair number of them don't do shit and coast through the easy classes, not considering their degree doesn't mean shit without a catalog of creative creations behind them.
>>
>>1351980
Yes exactly. Point in case is, too many people go to college. It's this simple.

It was never meant for over ~20-25% of people to go for above high-school education. With the progressing automation of workforce we can agree that more people with high education are needed as time passes, but not nearly as many as there are college grads.

People have this strange idea that they HAVE to go to college, even if they are talentless hacks with no passion, and in the end they tend to go for arts degrees which are simply put the easiest to pass.
>>
>>1351945
>So the way I see the job market right now is that unless you are in a science major, you have to go through extensive job searching only to get a job that pays you very little.
yeah try getting a job with a biology or chemistry undergraduate degree

top keeeeeeeeeek
>>
>>1351966

> not my fault I made a shit investment
>>
It depends. My girlfriends major is in English. I respect her because she was published at 16 and knows what she's doing. She knows her degree is basically useless, it's just a certification that tells people she can do the job.

Then there's people who have no business majoring in philosophy or English or history at all. Have no plan, and fell for the "study what you love even if there are no opportunities for jobs"-meme.

I respect science majors who go on to further studies if they are genuinely interested in what they are learning. I do not respect premeds *for the most part* for this reason, because almost all of them use their degree as a means to an end. I have meant some really REALLY dumb people who think they are going to medical school. They are literally just wasting money.

I respect business majors if they are focusing on finance or some quantitative analysis portion of the world. I do not respect business majors who think it's their job to tell people what to do when they have no idea what they are talking about. I've been around them to hear them spout useless platitudes to "increase productivity". It's transparent, doesn't work, and is just cringeworthy. You don't know materials chemistry, i do. I don't even know why you are here to be honest. Just shut up.
>>
>>1351961

so much this. I was in ChemE at a respected University, and the only few people who seemed to be going anywhere were the ones who behaved like model students.

Furthermore, you can totally scrape by in science/math to earn a degree, but then you have to compete with these young motherfuckers that kiss ass and work with no pay and have never tried drugs before.
>>
As >>1351960 pointed out, a wealthy lifestyle to pursue your dreams in an artistic field. Sad, but true.
I was wealthy once, and I attended the Uni (English and German literature). The stupidest choice I've ever made in my entire life, when my family lost everything and it was like waking up and live the real world for the first time. I couldn't complete my degree and even if I did so I wouldn't work. My degree IRL was shit, a big dump in the world of degrees.
Nowadays I'm facing financial insecurity, shitty minimum wage jobs (a waiter here's paid 2€/hr, even if it's illegal, but you know: it's a drink or sink situation) and tons of bad thoughts.
I'm 25 now, a NEET and my life is going through hell. I've a financial stability now, SORTA, and I want to get a degree, but I can't choice anything because I fear my decision.
YEAH. Bachelor of Arts are great for your soul, but they mean nothing today.

It hasn't to be fixed. Those carreers are JUST FOR RICH.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.