[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey biz, I need some advice. I am working for a start-up this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1-1048268-8-1462728565467.jpg (270KB, 900x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1-1048268-8-1462728565467.jpg
270KB, 900x1024px
Hey biz,

I need some advice. I am working for a start-up this summer and they made me an offer for a full-time position for the following year.

I am finished with my bachelors in environmental engineering, but was planning on pursuing my master this fall.

But this job offer threw a spanner in the works. The offer is 43 000 USD as a base wage (which is enough to live ok/comfortably in my country) and 30 000 USD in company stock.

The job entails a lot more responsibility than a 23 year old would usually get, and could potentially put me in touch with a network of investors and business-people.

The company is valued at 1.5 million dollars atm, but I honestly believe it will be worth a lot more in the following years, increasing the value of my stock. But its still not a liquid asset, it would be hard to sell it, at least now, I think?

It is not related to my field at all, and it's just for 1 year. Do you think I should do it?
>>
>>1338786
Sounds like a pretty cool job actually.
Grad school will be there waiting for you next year.

Do they offer any other benefits?
>>
>>1338792
No, its a start-up with significant growth ambitions, but still fairly small. Start-ups arent exactly known for their perks.

Office is dingy and shared with a couple of other start-ups. Work is result-oriented but varied and challenging. We have a coffee machine that fuels the place and a fridge stuffed with red bull, thats it.

Still, I could get a masters and a job that pays maybe 60-70 K USD in two years..
>>
>>1338799
May I ask how they got their 1.5 million dollar valuation?

Does it have a history of constantly making money for its shareholders?
>>
>>1338809
Its from the last time independent investors wanted to put money in to it.

Well, there have been no payouts yet of course, but the company has increased a lot in value since its inception. Severeal new streams of revenue should please shareholders enough so we can keep expanding hopefully
>>
File: herro.jpg (129KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
herro.jpg
129KB, 1200x900px
>>1338786
Help a nigga out guys
>>
If anything, it will look good on your resume. I would negotiate the salary to 49,000 at least.
>>
>>1338786
Is it a tech start up? If so why are they giving you the job when you're an env engineer.
>>
>>1338786
what country are you in?

what is the Master's degree you're planning on getting?
>>
Some red flags. Care to hear?
>>
>>1339118
Yeah man, for sure

>>1339030
No, fashion industry, so completely unrelated

>>1339108
Sweden, energy technology
>>
>>1339161
you either pick stability or getting rich

with the masters you will get a nice and constant cash flow, while the startup offers you a great opportunity of making a lot of money in the long run, but with corresponding risks.

Imo the masters will be waiting for you when you are done, i would go with the startup, specially since you get stocks from it too, so any increase in value due to your work is more money in your pocket.
>>
Go with the startup. It will be much more fun than a corporate job and would provide a much more robust learning experience. You'd probably learn 3-5x more than your comrades who go into big companies.

Geting a master's degree without any work experience is dumb for most areas of study -- admittedly I have no idea if environmental engineering falls into that category but I assume it does.

Also... does the 30K company stock have a vesting period or is it a "signing bonus"?
>>
>>1339177
You get experience and a chance to make a great amount if the company does good, go for it but don't ever forget to finish school.
>>
Definitely the start up, it won't probably blow and make you rich but the connections and experience you get is priceless.

Also you said plenty of responsobilities. Remember, work experience outweights any degree.

You can go to school anytime you want, don't miss this one.
>>
File: 1315339878409.jpg (67KB, 486x486px) Image search: [Google]
1315339878409.jpg
67KB, 486x486px
>>1339177
>>1339185
>>1339198
>>1339206

Thanks guys, this is really sound advice. I've been asking myself, if I was 70 years old what would I more likely regret?

Im young, I can afford to do something different for a year.

As for the stock >>1339185, I dont know, it wasnt specified in the offer
>>
>>1338786
Of course you should. You can always go for a Master's after.
>>
Do it faggot

You can go back to school whenever

Alternatively you could finish the bachelors part time while you work
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.