[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Fix" bad degrees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 24

File: tiers.jpg (275KB, 857x721px) Image search: [Google]
tiers.jpg
275KB, 857x721px
ITT: We help each other make something good out of our shitty degree choices.

An example: I got a degree in business administration, with a heavy focus on accounting. It sucks. No jobs. I'll complement it by taking a one year master in international tax law from a prestigious university (I've checked and my grades are good anough to get in).

Post your own poor decisions, and great solutions. We will make yuuge progress and make ourselves great again.
>>
>>1337632
I sold my Psych degree as one in stats and research design, and my sister did the same with a sociology degree. It works with any degree in the soft sciences as long as you can back it up in the interview.
>>
>>1337654
How does that work? Are there a lot of statistics in those kinds of subjects?
>>
I got a degree in German & Italian in the UK. I'm probably going to get a 2.2 (2.5-3.0 GPA)

There's no redeeming factor

It's all ogre for me famalam

I've been thinking of just trying meme advice like getting Accounting qualifications or learning to code
>>
>>1337679
Can you speak those languages? If not, learn to! There is market value in languages. Then become a teacher.
>>
>>1337679
Apply in banking business centers, requires little education, just training they provide. It's a good job with benefits and if you do studies on the side you can get transferred to a branch for better paying jobs.
>>
>>1337685

My German is fairly solid but needs some minor improvement

My Italian is basically conversational

I really don't wanna teach

I know I made a really silly choice like but yeah - teaching would kill my autistic soul
>>
>>1337686

To do what like customer service type stuff?
>>
I have a degree in math but no experience. Help me get money.
>>
>>1337688
Wait, you mean you can actually hold conversations in german and italian? Holy shit, senpai, I thought you just had the degree, I didn't know it actually meant something.
You're golden! You have hard marketable skills. Off and make money, my boy!
>>
>>1337695
Go into baking. Career your way into investment banking and become a quant. Sniff cocaine and replicate everything from "The big short". Retire at fourty with a hot wife and a new york apartment.
>>
>>1337701

My German is pretty strong but it's really colloquial (lived for a year with stoners in Germany during my degree)

I'd have to relearn half of it to cope in a formal/business setting haha

My Italian I could have basic conversations in but definitely not work with

What in just like try to be an interpreter? That has always seemed like a really shitty job to me desu (and my language skills would need to be PERFECT not just pretty good)
>>
>>1337632
>tfw i'm doing forensic science so i'm at least in good tier
feels ok
>>
>>1337717
I can speak fairly fluent Serbo-Croatian, can I do anything with that? I imagine no one needs a bumfuck 3rd world language tho
>>
>>1337706
Great, so how do I get my first job?
>>
>>1337717
>a really shitt
I have a friend who speaks iranian. She works for the governmental migration agency and translates for refugees. I believe she pulls 40k $/year.

I'm sure you can find something with your languages. Just read books and work it up. Watch "smar" movies in those languages. Listen to news in those languages.

At your new job you'll find ways into other stuff that might seem more valuable to you. Perhaps international business?

Now that I think of it, you might be the first person I've talked to who could have a legitimate reason to study international business.
>>
I did my degree online through a shit university in Canada to get a bachelor of commerce in finance. I then got my LLQP worked as a Financial Advisor for 3 years, made decent money (net over 10 k a month in final year), then got hired as VP of Sales in Marketing for a start up company in San Fransisco where I get 250k a year, plus equity and what not. Even if you have an absolutely shit degree, if you prove yourself to be good at something, make yourself unique and show some passion you can get a good job.
>>
>>1337632
Troll post. Criminal Justice isn't in Suicide or Shit tier.
>>
>>1337717
I have a friend who works in interpreting. I think she pulls about 40k $/year.

Just work your languages up. Read stuff in German and Italian. Watch "smart" movies in those languages. Watch news in those languages.

By the way, you might be the first person I've spoken to who could have a legitimate reason to study international business.
>>
>>1337734

By "Smar" did you mean "Smart"?

Yeah maybe a degree in something like that could be beneficial, especially if I find an internship/similar to get a leg up

I was never going to abandon language learning (still doing all my flash cards and that haha)
>>
>>1337632
Do you want to know a God tier route that nobody talks about? Going officer in the military, and using the money you make to start a business.

You get almost everything paid for/discounted in the military and health care, so it's the perfect starting point to start your own shit.

If you do some research, you can find an officer job in the military where you don't have to do shit all day except sit behind a computer desk, which allows for you to have an open schedule to fuck around.

It certainly beats engineering imo, because they'll force you to PT and keep in shape, so you have little room for your autism to take a hold of your life and become complacent.

My friend does the same shit, has coin pushers, ATMs, vending machines, and now has a laundry mat across town that this black guy does the up keep on and gets paid off the books.

He's making fucking killing, but doesn't do shit except collects the money and stocks the machines.
>>
>>1337724
Are you kidding me? Haven't you noticed the refugee crisis? We need people who can translate all kinds of shitty languages. I know one guy who works at a school, teaching basic stuff to refugees and another who works for my country's migration agency. You have a solid value offering, my friend.
>>
>>1337679
Depending on your interests, you could get some job in the business sector. Learn to Python or some statistical language or just learn the ropes to Stata or SPSS and you will up your market value.
>>
>>1337727
it might be hard to get a foot in the door directly in banking. Your first job might be slightly irrelevant, but once you get the experience you can apply directly.
>>
>>1337767

What jobs would I look for then in the "business sector" what would they be called?

desu concerning interests at this point I just wanna get into something nice and stable - work is work and I don't care if it's boring

Sorry I'm retarded lmao
>>
>>1337706
Sounds like a good way to a shitty marriage ending in divorce and a drug addiction.
>>
>>1337774
so you're still in uni? Do you have any sort of a job centre at uni? In mine we have this office that forwards all the internship and job offers directly to students who apply to it over email. If not, check any and all websites in your country where employers offer free posts and potential employees offer their skillsets.

What country you in?
>>
>>1337632
Why is the Geophysics both in godtier and goodtier?
>>
>>1337778

I'm at home now, finished exams etc but I can still talk to the careers advisors via e-mail/telephone, and my uni has a great alumni network with mentoring services etc

In the UK.
>>
>>1337784
Good, if you can still manage to get connections at uni, go for it. If not, try jobsite.co.uk and other job portals based in the UK. I can't really tell you what job in "business sector" you're looking for or what you like, but there's a subsection on the website for various job posts - retail, marketing, IT, accounting, etc. Take your poison, then check what employers from that sector demand. Read carefully, like they demand "good communication skills" while others want "expertise in xyz program". Study that shit, then organize your CV in a way that caters to employers requirements. If you still can't make it, fake it. Do this as a last resort and stretch it as much as you can.
>>
Unbelievable tier is actually garbage /social outcast/ tier. Have fun wasting your youth with other autists (and 30year old dads) in an autism-competition to see who can land the least boring jobs.

Dont fall for this shit guys, do something fun, we'll gonna die anyway...
>>
>got a degree in pharmacy
>oh god, why
>worst job ever
>worst pay ever

I study finance now but trying to single out transferable skills from pharmacy is not easy.
>>
File: 0111-1110-1100-1000-1100.jpg (14KB, 500x133px) Image search: [Google]
0111-1110-1100-1000-1100.jpg
14KB, 500x133px
Management Information Services here. How it is supposed to be: perfect combination of tech and business. Instant 50k job and pure upwards growth forever until you are corporate king. What it is: not skilled enough in tech to truly be great, not skilled enough in business to be truly great. Just kinda alright overall, meh salaries that afford a lower middle class lifestyle with an out-of-proportion stress job.
>>
>>1337632
What can I do with a Middle Eastern Studies degree and fluency in two or three languages other than English?
GPA is high
>>
>>1337632
>>1337654
I'll add another one for psych.

I have a BS in psych. Most jobs you can get are 30k/year research positions with no upward momentum unless you get a bachelors. Long-term most people think they need a PhD to net any income, and here's a fun fact for you: Clinical Psych (the most prestigious programs) have about a 7% acceptance rate and an average yearly salary of ~60k. And that's the very fucking best you can do in psych, the cream of the fucking crop. 60k.

If you have a psych degree, look into psychiatric nurse practitioner programs. Many schools offer a graduate entry option so you can go from no nursing experience to your MSN in 3 years.

Psych NP's make 100k+ and have basically the same scope of practice as a psychiatrist with none of the medschool bullshit. You go into a program right after school and you'll walk out at 25 with a six-figure job.

Go two more years and you can get your DNP which will net you lots of opportunities in administration and healthcare planning (meaning even more money).

The job is so in demand you'll have an offer two years before you graduate school. Plus, in some states you can even set up and operate a private practice, and the rules are getting better all the time.

So you're looking at doubling your pay, increasing your ability as a therapist, blowing up your job opportunities, and cutting your time in school in half. Plus, the field is growing rapidly and so are the salaries (average salary has gone up 30k in the last 10 years).

Most programs aren't funded, but if you go to a state school you can walk out less than 40k in debt. You'll be able to pay that off in a year if you live below your means and budget right.

Blows the fuck out of most psych opportunities, I'll tell ya that.
>>
>>1337861
Military, teaching, translation, etc.
>>
>>1337860
Systems* goddammit
>>
>>1337665
If you go to a program worth anything, yes. I can't speak about sociology, but psych is very research and data driven. Get an assistant position as an undergrad crunching data for some prof and then boom, you're a data analyst.

I've even taken it a step further and made working with data my "thing". I've learned MS Access, SPSS, RedCap, Endnote, etc... just from work experience on various projects, and I'm building upon that by trying to teach myself databases, SQL, Python, and basic machine learning on my own at home.

You put in even a little effort and you can blow your rivals the fuck out with this shit.
>>
>>1337632
Johnathan?
>>
>>1337861
State dept?
>>
Japanese studies and political science

Made an internship in some big companies and specialized in international cooperation project management. Also I know some IT shit.

Works out for me.
>>
>>1337691
Nah, business service centers deals business to business (B2B). You won't speak to a client, only other FI's (financial institutions) and account managers. Obviously other ppl in your center as well.
>>
>>1337880
>Also I know some IT shit

I can't stress enough how much even a tiny bit of know-how puts you ahead of other people in fields where CS or engineering isn't commonplace.

I walked into a lab knowing how to work MS Access. These fucking monkeys had our databases all in Excel. I moved it all over linked up a few tables and now I'm the "tech guy" and I'm invaluable because it all falls apart if I'm gone.
>>
how is education and pre school teaching "shit tier" ?
>>
Right help me the fuck out
Accounting or computer science for next year. I'll graduate within top 10% of the class no questions asked, but the college is mid tier. What do I go for for $ and work life balance.
>>
what about supply chain management? Thinking about majoring in it.
>>
Pharmacy degree. I hate the work but have spent 6 years doing it. Please help, i'll take something that gives a better quality of life over pay.
>>
>>1337864
Don't you need to go back to school for nursing? That would mean at least 6 years. 4 for nursing, 2 for nurse practitioner.
>>
>>1337632
>Military as a private

Move to good tier with chance to be Great tier
>>
>>1337924
>About to hit E-4
Where on the chart am I
>>
>BA, History
>Masters, Public Policy
>30k debt
>three years out, currently making 50k/year

do I need to be fixed
>>
>>1337775
Yes, but aren't those costs a natural part of the supposed /biz/ lyfestyle?
>>
>>1337859
What about job security?
>>
>>1337873
Nope.
>>
OP, I'm in freshman year of business

should I get off this ride immediately?
>>
>>1337924
This
army is pretty based when you're sergeant or above
>>
>>1338017
The navy is also bretty nice at the E-5 level and the coast guard is hilariously better quality of life for the same money compared to any other service. I'm talking BAH at E-2 because they have no barracks
>>
>>1337922
Nah nigga. Many schools offer accelerated programs called grad entry options. Go in with any bachelors, come out three years later an NP.
>>
>>1337910
If you are so confidant you can be in the top 10% why arent you studying at a better school?
>>
>>1337918
I know that feel bro. Mine was a 4 year degree but i also get paid way less in australia.
>>
>>1338310
>>1337859
It hurts man. I feel like I was lied to. Gonna try and go to med school now, at least it'll give me 4+ years of school to escape to. How much do you make in Australia?
>>
>>1338313
The average is about 60k, probably less. I only work part time so I would earn a great deal less than that. That's probably equivalent to less than 45k USD
>>
I'm in high school rn. What can I do to not fuck up?
Like, what would be the best degree to have in general (as in, more than one or two industries look for people with the degree)
>>
Degree in feminist dyke theory here.
>>
>>1337679
translator
apply to a ph d program in translation
or an ma translation studies
or an mfa in literary translation
wherever you are or abroad
>>
I'm fucked. I majored in English and classics and I'm already out of school.
>>
1. Foreign/Heritage languages require learning a foreign language and marketing/sales techniques.

2. Econ becomes Finance

3. Business Admin becomes Managerial Accounting

4. Accounting becomes accounting, and another major is spun off called law and taxes.

5. Biology becomes nursing.

6. Chemistry becomes how to become a high school science teacher.

7. Psychology becomes a sales major.

8. Gender studies eliminated

9. History requires a foreign language and/or complemented with philosophy and law.

10. Dance becomes how to set up at a cam site.

11. Theology becomes how to operate a church major.

12. Political Science becomes a study of how to rig elections and control mass media
>>
>>1337632
Just finished getting my CA (or CPA as it is known now).

Half-assedly working to become a designated business valuator.

Applied to my old University for a Mathematics degree. I'll register for courses if I can get the undergrad w/ like 10-15 courses.

I regret not studying engineering then getting an MBA. Technology is sweeping the world.
>>
>>1337632
Only shit country have university that offer woman study. Indian only has technical school and no woman study. Stupid americans
>>
>>1337632
Can anyone explain to me why software engineering isn't same tier as cs/programming?
>>
>>1338470
Software engineering still requires a few EE classes and an understanding of how the software and hardware interact. CS is pure codemonkey.
>>
how is Nursing lower-tier than a degree with Geology? Nurses earn 60k (american money) straight out of university after passing the NCLEX. I'm a nursing major thats why.

also why is political science/history majors lower tier? Most end up going to law school to become politicans, lawyers, etc.
>>
Got a degree in international studies, but did a study abroad in Korea and already speak Korean fluently. Ill take a masters in International Business and compliment my broad international knowledge and language skill with more useful business knowledge.

Is this a dumb idea?
>>
>>1338498
Just find someone who can use your skills, or use those skills yourself. You could do fine.
>>
>>1338454

What's wrong with going the CPA route? That's what I plan to do.
>>
>>1337632
All I care about and am good at is history, what the fuck should I do /biz/? Haven't gone to college yet.
>>
>>1338548

Anyone can just google history tho your job is automated.
>>
Undergrad science degree in agricultural science, masters degree in science with a major in epidemiology.

Living in a hotel in Peru (Avenida Abancay 554 Lima, Provincia de Lima, 1, Peru) to save money till I can move back to Australia with actual career prospects...
>>
>>1338580
That's why I have no idea what to do, I know the field sucks.
>>
I honestly wished I studied IT instead of law. It's so useful when working on your own projects. You can just build things that make money for you.
And there are a lot of less time consuming jobs available, leaving you with plenty of time for other things.

Note that time is your most valuable asset. Making money in a way that consumers lots of time is a waste of time.
>>
>>1338589
>consumers
consumes
>>
this thread right here is basically everything that sucks about capitalism in a nutshell. nobody ITT is happy. everyone is stressed about their (lack of) jobs, or hate their job, are make shit money. its not a happy way to live.
>>
>>1338615
but what's better? life's even worse under communism.
>>
>>1337864
Holy shit dude, thank you that sounds tight. I just want lots of money and how bad can it be speaking to insane people for up to 150k? I have the bachelors and just 3 years for a DNP sounds TIGHT. Thank you so much I never heard of that before!
>>
Math/Physics dual BSc. My grades were okay (3.6gpa)

How do I make this employable?
>>
I've got a bachelors in business admin emphasis on business law. The degree says bachelors in business law. What can I do with this? Please help.
>>
>>1338667
You didn't get any internships?

For the love of god fucking apply to the jobs and follow through. No fucking excuse you should not have a job with those majors and GPA.

Unless you're autistic as fuck and can't have a normal conversation with a human being.
>>
>>1337706
Program a algo robot to trade for you. if you can you just sit back and let the profits come to you.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/101014/basics-algorithmic-trading-concepts-and-examples.asp

>>1337747
Its something law school people here should be aware of is the JAG program. They pay for your tuition in school and also up to 60K of your current debt. Of course it IS a lot like selling your soul to the devil, enjoy 8 years in Iraq and TFWNOGF but its a good deal though and you'll be THE MAN.

>>1337945
Your job and salary is exactly what that combo should be making but you should try Public Administration then you'll be the God of Bureaucrats.

>>1338320
That is fucked up man. At least pharmacists supposedly make 80K in the US but its 8 years of schooling so its approaching a joke here too as you'll be in approximately 190K debt.

>>1338396
Do the Library Science degree bro you are perfectly set up even though the jobs in low demand. Or Marketing MBA you can flex your knowledge on writing and classics to make some artsy fartsy ad campaigns.

>>1338621
I sounded like such a moron here sorry, it was my staying up all night posting about BREXIT and being tired as hell today.
>>
>>1338672

My dad is a bankrupcy trustee. That's kind of like business and law idk lol
>>
>>1338672
Can you do paralegal with a Bachelor in business law? It pays okay, you could do law librarian or perhaps some kind of consultant job where you give LLC's and small companies legal advice.
>>
>>1338667
Get a finance job in NYC through your college career network.
>>
>>1337632

I did a Bachelor in Electromechanical engineering, ended very bad, no jobs because when graduated the crisis were really high (2011) so i moved to another place and worked in a mine as a maintenance manager for one year. Then i went again to the school and did a master of science in mechanical eng. This time got me a job in the design industry at one of the largest companies in aviation industry, however the paid was basically shit ( less than 30k). I dont know how but ended at a university as full time research professor and again, in my free time studied an MBA. Im near to the ending of it and now I finally understand business and finance. Yesterday a friend of mine told me that a large company needs someone like me. Im thinking to move and save/invest all i can handle and after that start a business of engineering services. Im 28 yo, basically three times graduated with honors and first of the class. Im not living in america btw. Anyway, what woulf /biz/ do? Stay in the comfy professor work and do a phd? Or go for investing and a start up?
>>
I'm a Canadian straight white man with a degree in social work and another in criminal justice. Working in social work means sharing an office with freebleeding dyed-hair feminists and making them enjoy my company, which I can't imagine happening.

I got my criminal justice degree to become a police officer but then got diagnosed with irritable bowel disease in university and both the RCMP and local police forces rejected me on those grounds even with my degree.

Social work and criminal justice are alright fields and I feel like I can make a good living if I found a place where straight white guys with imperfect health are welcome. Haven't found anything yet.
>>
>>1337632
I'm a dirty peasant. What trade skill might bring me out of poverty?
>>
Hongkong dude here with a European studies degree (could consider it as social science major), though I speak Chinese, English and a bit better than comprehensable German, I dont see I have any competitive advantage, everyone speaks English and Chinese, my German is not very good. So basically I am fucked. Any of u lads have an idea how to pull me out of poverty
>>
>Graduate in engineering
>Got sick of it by the time I finished
>Applied for every grad job under the sun
>Bullshitted and got a job in retail banking
What the fuck is retail banking and is my career prospects alright?
>>
>>1338735
>>1338735
I have a BS in Criminal Justice and I was planning on going to law school. Law school is a huge ripoff now-a-days so I determined getting an MBA would be better and shifting to the business world. If companies ask me why I did CRJU I'm gonna tell em what I was planning on doing and then sell the statistical analysis side of the degree which is a huge transferable skill.

Just wanted to throw that out there because I lost interest in going the law enforcement route.
>>
>>1337632
Monitoring this thread. Trying to turn my shitty Psych degree into something with 2 failed units and a gpa sitting just above 5 out of 7. Help I'm alive, my heart keeps beating like a hammer.
>>
>>1338337
medicine, specialist, eye doctors in big demand in Australia. Don't do psych its a meme, pretty much any bachelors degree is rubbish without postgrad; you may as well be an electrician and make more gp.

Pick something you want to do that has good prospects and do things that compliment it. Don't do any arts degree.
>>
>>1338586
HSIE teacher.
>>
>>1338584
Sorry we are full, any boat arrivals will be sunk at the closest reef.
>>
>>1338804

Hit man, connect through your local drug dealer, learn to snipe and make ~40k per kill. Buy a laundromat to clean your blood money.
>>
While I truly think that degrees are useless, I'd definitely put cyber security on the highest level.

Cloud based tech
Smartphones
Electric cars

I mean everythings hackable.
>>
>>1338621
DNP will take 2 years after your masters so 5 years total. MSN is 3, but you'll still make tight cash. You can also get your DNP part time while you work, if you want.
>>
got into banking and finance

i still have time to defer

is this a meme degree?
>>
I've lucked my way into a risk position at a massive investment bank off a shitty history degree.

I know it isn't front office but can I blag my way into an IB position from it?
>>
>>1337736
Are you mad you found out your degree is useless and now you're in debt and can't get a job? Are you mad you got fucked that hard by the system? It's not all your fault. The career counselors in college aren't exactly qualified to be giving out advice (look where they are now). I'd be mad bro.
>>
>>1337860
>>1337868
I'm MIS and Economics and do fine as a developer/business analyst.
>>
File: 1464706781449.jpg (80KB, 500x433px) Image search: [Google]
1464706781449.jpg
80KB, 500x433px
I'm dual majoring in Computer Science and Economics, and I'm going into my 3rd year this fall.

What's a good career path for me?
>>
>>1337665
Psych majors have a ton of stat requirements so yes
>>
>>1337632

biology degrees are fucking worthless

unless you're going into informatics and engineering
>>
Got a bachelor in electrical engineering and now getting a m. sc in financial mathematics (one year down, one year to go), i think im fine.
>>
>>1338490
Whats wrong with Geology? Miners and Techs make around 70k only needing a bachelors. Industry's doing pretty good rn. I can't speak for Geophysics tho.
>>
If you live in America, your best choices are medicine, engineering, computer science, and finance. Everything else depends on how you market yourself and the skills you develop.
>>
>>1338618
>life's even worse under communism.
life's even worse under socialism.
ftfy. There's never been a communism government but socialists like tell people they are one.
>>
I see a lot of delusion in this thread. A lot of jobs won't pay more than 60k, even those in the "leet" tier. The people that make the big buckaroos are people at the top of their field or cronyism. If you live in the Bay Area, CA then your six figure salary is inflated for cost of living. You're making less than someone in the midwest. Also the military route is horrible and most of what you learn does not translate to real world skills Their techs have to be retrained because the military operates on out of date practices and tech. Getting those contractors positions often goes to graduate level college people, not the veteran. Getting a job at teh state department is hard and often their hiring practices are hard to predict. Most people try to come in speaking a "hard" language but that's not what they're looking for in a foreign service officer. They want someone who can represent America's interest and know how to run local assets... eerrmm I mean people. Never believe the bullshit about how much you're going to make after college from teh colleges themselves. Ask people in the industry. They'll tell you that you'll make less than 40k as a new grad, even engineers are being pay shit these days. Blame people like Mark Zuckerberg and those who want more pajeet and Zhang in the workforce to water down wages and increase executive level pay.
>>
>>1337864
>tfw no such position exists in the UK
>Clin.Psych pays even less here
let's see how it goes though eh
>>
Civil engineering here.

I can't find a fucking job . Help me /biz/
>>
I'm doing medicine
Only one way I can go really
>>
I have a game design degree and considering suicide. Some people found jobs but I got stuck because I fucked up an interview and nowhere else wants me.

Please help. I got debt to pay off or else I'm killing myself.
>>
>>1339888
Was there any code development with that degree? I would play that up more than the video game part.
>>
File: basketball-pepe.png (398KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
basketball-pepe.png
398KB, 499x499px
>tfw got into columbia law school

gonna enjoy my 160k starting.
>>
>>1339962
Are you going to enjoy having your soul crushed?
>>
>>1339965
I never had one to begin with.
>>
What can you even do with a BS in biology?

I intend to go to med school, but have a solid year with little to do save for volunteering and shadowing.
>>
>>1339844
try looking under search terms for hydrology, everybody needs clean water.
>>
>>1337864
I'm interested in being an NP.

If I have a kinesiology BS, would I be a good candidate?
>>
File: 1462362202088.jpg (52KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
1462362202088.jpg
52KB, 367x500px
I'm currently applying for Philosophy, because it's interesting and "it's better to be an unhappy philosopher than a happy pig". College degree is provided by the state where I live, so I don't have to worry about the costs.

I'll wagecuck, even for a minimal wage, some money, that I'll save for future investments.

Inbetween my studies, I'll be researching investing in stock market (on my own), hoping to make passive income in the future. I currently know nothing about it.

I don't care about being sickly rich, I just want enough money to be able to live decently, maybe freelance a bit where I can (3d modeling/rendering, IT).

Also worth noting that I had above-average grades in physics and IT. I just chose philosophy because it's more interesting, and I don't fall for the work degree meme.

How bad of an idea is that? How deep in shit am I?
>>
Bachelors in GENERAL business, yes it says general on the degree...from a state school in a state I never lived in (so HR will know it's online).
Working as a supply chain analyst for 44+5 usd.

Want to get a masters to soften the blow of my bachelors, but
>literally
only brick and mortar school within 2hrs of me is 40k a masters

Want to mover out of supply chain (it's pleb tier even for business)
was thinking cheap masters plus cfa level 1
OR suicide.
pls send help
>>
>>1338543
It's okay for now. It's just not as secure as it was before though. Then again nothing is with technology
>>
>>1340171
Go do Biz dev jobs. You make more in biz dev then supply chain. Supply Chain is for the engineering monkey who transition to business. Doesn't pay horribly but it also doesn't pay well.
>>
>>1340163
The only jobs in philosophy are lecturing jobs and ethics committee. It's actually worse than gender studies.
>>
Can someone tell me about cyber security?
>>
>>1337632
Working on a Bachelor of Commerce degree, currently majoring in finance. Should I change this? I still have a lot of time to swap things up.
>>
What is an non stressful job or career where I can afford to get reasonable healthcare (US) and never have to worry about work at home?
>>
>>1338677
Thanks bud. I think there in fact some joint degree programs for MLIS and MBA programs. Maybe I'll check those out.
>>
If you want to do anything business+health related, I suggest Health Administration. 23% projected job growth from now to 2022, rate of employment in the field after graduation with a masters is incredibly high.

If you're in a rich state, like Florida, the average salary is $102K, highest earners between 250-300K. Also if you work at a hospital as health administrator you get insane stock options.

I'm in med school, and just met a 45 year old health administrator, talked to me about the job, so I researched it online. Shit is nuts.

Not many colleges offer the program though.
>>
How do I market my Econ degree? I just finished my 2nd year, and I love my coursework, but I feel like in the job market its a very general degree with no real focus. The only thing I can really think of is adding an accounting or finance minor.
>>
>>1338898
>retail banking
You have entered the ultimate dread of working in a shitty local branch of a local bank. To top it all off, it has extremely shit pay. The most horrendous companies in retail banking is (assuming you live in the US) Bank of America and TD Bank.
>engineering
Depends on which branch you worked on. Some branches earn more money than others, but a regular, non-specific engineering degree on all spectrums should earn you no less than $65k (approx). Given that, and retail banking, you may probably be the tech guy who checks the machines, but in all, strive to get a better job.
>>
>>1337632
>h other make something good out of our shitty degree choices.

I got a degree in mechanical engineering. Where are the jobs? because i sure as hell cant find them.
>>
>>1340634
Go to civil engineering, they do hire
>>
>>1340670
they hire mechanicals? I already have my degree.
>>
>>1337632
>not setting up connections while going to school.

What did you expect friendo?

College is meant for three things.
1. Educations
2. Connections
3. Relations

If you aren't doing all three, what are you really expecting when you get out? To have a world handed in front of you because you have a degree?

You've got to show interest in a company/field early on and get your name out there before you graduate.

Also, when a company tells you "Lol no positions" you politely call them on their bullshit. Too many accountants at a private firm is understand, however if they say "We have no positions for accountants." then call them out on bullshit, just like Law, there's always room for another Jew at the mitzvah. Comprimise and smooth talk with an employer, wine and dine them, tell them you'll be the best lay they'd ever had, and that you'll call in the morning. That's the whole part of step 3 in the 3 nescessities OP. Get that shit down to a T while in school with free pussy all around you, so that you can use that charisma and charm to woo any employer with your considerable reseme.

Be a Peacock, Be A Tiger. Be a man with some chutzpah Anon.
>>
>>1340696

>connections

my college was in canada, in a small town in the middle of no where.
>>
>>1340677
Yes
>>
File: 1466771364912.jpg (126KB, 1188x617px) Image search: [Google]
1466771364912.jpg
126KB, 1188x617px
>>1340696
>wine and dine an employer
does this actually happen? how on earth would you set up plans with an employer when you're just a guy that wants a job to them
>>
>>1340698
So, let me get this straight.
"Canadian couldn't compile company connections, completing classes at a community college campus?"

Problem 1. No matter how big or small, you ALWAYS make connections. Any ear, eye, tongue is useful when going into the business market.
Problem 2: Be ready to travel for interviews, try headhunting companies who will schedule these interviews for you, be as available to moving as possible.
Problem 3: Did you take accounting? Everyone needs accountants. Everyone. The city, lawyers, rich people, poor people, prisons, public offices, private offices. Everyone needs accountants. Don't sell yourself short when it comes to that. If you took something like Gender studies, then you could always be a shift manager at a retail store.
>>1340701
Actually take an interest in the company itself, rather than seeing them as a "job". Interviewers do not want to hear "job" they want to hear "career". If you are in the mindset of "Oh, I guess I'll just work here or whatever." You are pussyfooting it.

A guarenteed way to get a second interview (aka the ACTUAL interview) is to make the interviewer feel awesome about their own company, and how excited you are to work for the company, and the field in general. Be confident and say "I know what I want, and I'm going to take it." Not in that manner of course, but along those lines.
Going into a first/telephone/video interview limp dick ensures a no call.
Also, make sure the reseme is on fucking point, print out business cards, do work pro bono if you are still in school, get your name out. Think of an image of yourself, and fill that role for the interviews.

The hard part afterwards, is what to say yes, and what to say no to. It's possible you'll have multiple jobs lined up if you act in this manner. Remember, you've got to love the company too, you don't need them, you want them. You chose them over anything else because you wanted to. The same is true of them concerning you.
>>
>>1340714
thanks senpai, i actually appreciate the advice

with wining and dining an employer specifically though, is that real, or were you just using it to emphasize your point
>>
>>1340719
Well, a little bit of both.

It all depends on which interview it is, if its a first interview, that's the "Wow golly willickers mister, you sure are important and coolio!" This is the building of trust phase, phase two is the Actual interview with multiple persons. Try to schedule the interview around noon to one, this is the typical lunch hour. With any luck, your second interview will either be accompanied with sandwiches, or possibly going somewhere and eating. This is important however, in this second interview that has possible dining, do not wine, and eat something conservative. Pizza is NOT a professional statement, neither is BBQ ribs. (Plus, you'll be wearing your suit, bad idea to get sauces mixed up) You'll want to eat something that takes less than 15 minutes to finish, and assuming on the company's dollar; be on the lower end of the price menu.

So it is an emphasis, but it can actually happen too. When it does, roll with it as best as you can. Make sure you keep conversation going, as not to distract from the real reason why you are there.
>>
>>1339237
> The career counselors in college aren't exactly qualified to be giving out advice (look where they are now). I'd be mad bro.
lol not op but i found this out the hard way too true
>>
>>1337913
pls respond
>>
>Be me
>Start HVAC trade
>Have a work ute
>Be good at my job
>$1000/week as a second year
>debt free
>Set to own my own business after my apprenticeship

Kek. And uni fags doing bullshit like communications or language think they're better than me.
>>
Im planning on a degree in bioinformatics. Is it any useful? How are my chances on finding a "good" job in europe/america?
>>
>>1337706
I know baking was a typo but I'd love to hear some theoretical strategies to transition from working in a bakery to working in an investment bank.
>>
File: 1466092492863.jpg (8KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1466092492863.jpg
8KB, 320x320px
>>1337632
I did a degree in Mathematics at a top 10 uk university and will more than likely get a 2.2, probably because I wasn't smart enough to handle this much work. I think I'm fuck desu. Any suggestions?
>>
>PhD in applied physics, more specifically plasma physics
>I know how to do very advanced mathematical/numerical/computational modelling, more advanced than what is required for most graduate engineers
>also very well versed in programming, fluent in C++, python, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, swift and SQL, have made several iOS apps and earned decent money
>decent knowledge of economics & finance, have about 10 uni textbooks on the subjects that I've studied rigorously
>am not autistic unlike 90% of STEMfags, played football and was a frat bro as an undergraduate

I don't think my degree is bad and I know I have a lot of decent skills but I'm curious to see what /biz/ thinks would be the best thing for me to pursue to earn the most money given my skillset. Entrepreneurship? Quant finance? etc

26 years old btw
>>
>>1337632
why the fuck is physics god tier?
>>
>>1341131
data science?
quant finance rn is going a data route anyway.

I'm interested in this too as a physics masters.
>>
>>1341151
>you're qualified for almost every engineering job
>you're qualified for most programming jobs
>you're qualified for technical finance jobs
>you're qualified to work in industry R&D
>you're qualified to work in basic research
>with a few exceptions, physicists are the best problem solvers in the work force and have the best aptitudes for learning and absorbing large amounts of difficult-to-understand information quickly and use it to solve problems
>you're basically in expert in the fundamentals of all science, engineering and technology, you're incredibly skilled in math (second only to actual mathematicians) and you know how to program

I assume that's why.
>>
>>1341186
hahaha no, fuck you.

I have a BS in physics, and most people will not hire you if they think you are not what are looking for. And what they are looking for is a PhD or a field specific degree. Fuck off, dumbass.
>>
>>1341131
Why exactly did you pursue a PhD in Physics if you did not intend to work in the field?
>>
>>1341194
>he's only got a BS
well there's your problem
>>
>>1341093
Which uni m8? You say top 10 but a third from Oxford is arguably more valuable than a 2:1 from Warwick.
>>
film degree in NYC.

hard mode, try and fix this (you can't)

the hilarious part is i got a good job right out of school with a major camera company, still working there, and i still cant find a new job with 100 applications over 6 months. cant even land a production assistant role.

how in the everliving fuck are people with no experience and a film degree getting any work.
>>
>>1341251
>how in the everliving fuck are people with no experience and a film degree getting any work.

Kneepads?
>>
>>1341131
I am a 6'4 manager at wendys who makes 11 inches per year and has a $250,000.
>>
Guys help me out, what degree should I choose? I get straight As and I really only care about money. I've been coding for 10 years if that helps and I've won my country's international programming competition a couple times. I've also been investing for a couple years and I've made a good bit of money. I want money and I'm interested in math
>>
>>1341251
But you have experience with the camera company?
>>
>>1337632
Mathematics degree, graduated with a 2.5-3 GPA from a top of the top university (outside of Oxbridge.) Been three years since I graduated. Drowning. A payroll admin at the moment.
>>
>>1341348
We have a math-cs degree at my uni. Or math-Econ
>>
>>1341237
King's College London. I think a 2.1 Warwick > 3rd Oxford. Warick is a solid uni.
>>
>>1337632

Criminal Justice.

I'm a security guard. On the bright side I'm not in debt aside from a few thousand on student loans.
>>
Studying BA Politics and Economics. Had the decision to do BSc or BA Economics, and wish i took the BSc because i miss the maths ;(

Have a strong IT background too, have made an employee management system for a small business in the past, using knowledge of databases and development. Am about to join a startup taking position to help formulate a business model and use my knowledge of development to help steer it in the right direction.

Think im in a bretty good position, but still really wish i had chosen pure economics, and they wont let me change...
>>
>>1337632
Why is applied mathematics ranked so high? I don't feel qualified for anything and my one shot at employment is because of a connection.
>>
>>1339241
Sweet, looking to go through this route.

I'm pretty strong in both areas.
>>
Any programmers here?

About to go to College for CS and just want to get an aspect of the job market
>>
>>1341852
Get an internship and do well enough so that you will be offered a job. That's how a lot of programmers get jobs without ever being part of the job market.
>>
BA International Affairs. I've been laid off since September and since then failed the hiring process to be a probation officer. Going for an MS in Management this fall. Hoping at the least I can be a business or policy analyst for local government.
>>
BSc Biology now I do basic data entry for about 34.5k a year.

glamour, truly
>>
>>1341879
Should mention I'm taking a statistics course to prepare for biz school and I kinda like it, so I wouldn't mind a job where I do this sort of data analysis stuff.
>>
I consider economics a social science that acts like a hard science with obscure graphs, formulas and maths. Economics should be taught in the english language but they over complicate it to make it look legit.

I think doing accounting as your major and finance as the minor in business is a good mix. Do the economics stuff for fun but it's not something to be taken seriously. The only economists that get jobs are Keynsian anyways so all your free market principles go to waste cause no government wants to listen to you.
>>
>>1341951
Economics combined with statistics is god tier though.
>>
A true economist would get control of a country and tell everyone to quit their job and leave the economy the fuck alone. Economics/ finance is a good mix for investing but a lot of the stuff you learn in economics is common sense. I already knew all the stuff we did in that class long before doing it. The only real world applications in micro and macro that I learnt was calculating GDP.

I love accounting because it feels like real world stuff. When I do classes that teach me stuff I will use in the real world I am much more engaged.
>>
I am almost 24 and have yet to complete my BA Sociology program
I am going to apply as a dishwasher later and have a solid chance because I got a food handler's cert

Or maybe I will just kill myself
>>
Got a BA in history
Will kill myself after my parents die
>>
>tfw going for computer engineering
feels good
>>
Kinesiology major. I'm applying to be a weight rerack technician.
>>
ive got a bachelors from a top university in a business/communications type of program.

i had an interview right after graduation at a digital advertising firm and i fucked it up big time. i got a labor job via temp agency and ive been here for 4 years now.

i want out! what do i do? employers will see i have no professional experience. do i just make my labor jobs sound professional? like i was at a fedex warehouse for 8 months, i can say things like i processed returns and processed outgoing orders and shit.
>>
>>1338484
Software engineering is not CS+CE, it is designing software (not necessarily even implementing it).

- CS is the study of the theory of computation, algorithms, etc.

- CE is the design and implementation of the low-level software and hardware.

- SE is how to organize code monkeys with flow charts and documentation. You might even learn Java on the way.

What community/shitty colleges churn out under the titles Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Software Engineering? Those are something else entirely.
>>
>>1337860
Im planning on switching to this from Accounting. Basically MIS seems to be a major to work at mediocrity unless you want to move up, which sounds great for me. At my school, average starting salary of grads are $63k or so. Gonna get a Comm minor so it looks sorta businessy so when Im older I can move into management positions
>>
what about doing a BA in a stem field?
>>
>>1340588
Do either really. I don't know too much but if you go to a halfway decent school you can market Econ as a great degree even though at my school it is seen as business kids who couldn't get into the school of business. Adding other shit makes you seem better, getting you a better job
>>
I'm a Chemical Eng major. What do if the energy industry doesn't bounce back in the next 2 years before I graduate?
>>
>>1339241
Would you reccomend this Job?

>Salary
>Hours/week
>Stress level
>How hard were classes

I haven't taken any MIS classes as only did freshman year so far, but seems much better than Accounting (what Im in now). I took intro Macro/Micro and thought it was OK. Professor was just terrible but finished with a A-/B for the two classes
>>
>>1337632
Petroleum engineer checking in

Rn the industry is in one the biggest downturns in generations. There are no jobs for someone with no experience. Your only chance of getting in now is through nepotism
>>
>>1341384
You sure Kings is top ten?

And yeah Warwick is a solid uni but the networking potential at a school like oxford is absolutely priceless.
There are cunts who actually failed to graduate from Oxford who are running successful businesses simply through the friends and connections they made while attending.

You are networking at Kings, right?
>>
>>1341909
How'd you get the job, and from where?
>>
Just because you major in accounting, that doesn't mean you need to do an accounting career. If you are doing a bachelor of commerce I just think it is the logical choice if you are going into the business world. It's a solid backup and you are by no means locked in. Most CEO's have a background in accounting and I just did my intro accounting class and loved it and finished with a 95%. I found it easy and logical but we will see if managerial is harder. I plan to minor in finance and I think economics is stupid. I read economics books but it's more of a hobby for me.
>>
Economics vs Finance as a second major.

Leaning economics with the intent to self-teach the useful aspects of finance.
>>
>>1338804
Any trade school
Welders get mad cash up front, 20+ per hour easy with just a certificate, becoming an electrician or plumber will make you great money too, most every trade skill is in demand because everyone thinks they are too good to be one.

Most skilled trade companies will pay for all of your training/ certifications on the one condition that you work for said company for 2-3 years once you are qualified ( so once you're done getting free training, stuck with a garunteed good paying job, oh darn...)
a friend from high school who was too stupid to get a promotion besides frycook at McDonalds after working there 6 years makes 25$/hr welding electrical boxes only 6 months of classes, he love bragging about all the money he makes at 23 years old (probably doesn't realize how hard it will be to move up the welding payroll, but making quadruple what he did a year ago, gotta admire how much the idiot is succeeding already)
Only downside to trade skills is that since your starting pay is so high you won't have much room for promotions/higher pay beyond that without either years experience in am increasingly narrow specific technique, or having an IQ above 101

My only other advice besides tradeskills (the easy way) would be study stem degrees, since they are versatile and garunteed money makers, but if you don't like math by now, you probably wont magically start to in the middle of obtaining your degree, and going stem whilst hating math is just going to lead to an epic crash and burn later when you flunk out of college
>>
>>1342256
Make LSD
No joke, you'll break 100k in two or three batches, I have a friend who is chemical engineer (does research on some retardation causing disease that affects his brother for a rx company) who makes high quality lsd on the side(gel tabs, yay!) making 6 figures on a bad batch of acid on the side, with nothing but $5 worth of chemicals online and a spare beaker n bunsenburner from work

If you have useful empirical knowledge you should be able to make money on the side no matter what, depending on how shady you want to be/what your local area is in short supply of, and I don't mean just drugs
Auto mechanics know how to repair their car for half the price some 60 year old jackass does, a carpenter can probably make a bitching shed or table on the weekend that can be sold for double the cost of parts, stock brokers can probably make 5-10 bucks extra a day day trading on top of their regular job, ect ect...

If you don't find yourself drifting to your desired career's skills/hobbies in your spare time then you are in the wrong career field. If you only use your jobs skills when you're on the clock, then you're wasting the rest of your life.

Shameless article that words the idea much better than I can:
http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffetts-tailor-and-pope-analogy-2016-6
"
(Our prototype for occupational fervor is the Catholic tailor who used his small savings of many years to finance a pilgrimage to the Vatican. When he returned, his parish held a special meeting to get his first-hand account of the Pope. "Tell us," said the eager faithful, "just what sort of fellow is he?" Our hero wasted no words: "He's a forty-four, medium.")"
>>
>>1342812
How does he sell his stuff?

How to sell explosives to crazy Islamists :^)))
>>
>>1338490
My company
26 is base pay, night and weekend differentials, more overtime than you could ever ask for. Insane benefits including total tuition reimbursement, good insurance, management track if you're in that mindset
You can bring home 2500 dollar paychecks right out of school and cash out your ptos
And I have a fucking ADN
>>
>>1342790
>most every trade skill is in demand because everyone thinks they are too good to be one.
That's not true. I have family in the trades(Ele,HVAC, CARP) all trades are being supplied enough with young blood. The whole trades are dying meme is just a meme. There is acutally a college graduate shortage. 19% of Millennials have college degrees as opposite to Gen Xers who hover around 35% and boomers around 40%. This is why the gap between high school and college grads in income level is higher since the 1920s. Most foreign students go back to their country because they end up making bank in their own country as elites.
>>
ee here. should of done computer, biomedical, chemical, or systems engineer. dont be fooled guys! software engineers are banking, they make more than 150k+ without any stress!
>>
>>1343005
> without any stress
Expect that they're all under contract, there are frequent random UDSs, performance reviews are made public, it's extremely competitive and companies are getting boxed up and shipped to Asia all the time
>>
>>1343005
If you were an EE you would know that your background allows you to go into computer engineering or superconducting engineering. You're able to do biomedical as well. EE is the best field after Mech E. Chemical is too narrow of a field. Software engineers have job anxiety because your company can ship your job to Pajeetland for pennies on the dollar. If anyone wants to get a second degree you usually do EE or Mech E to have a solid science background.
>>
Civil engy because I didn't know what to study.

It's ok but pretty fucking boring, I want out. OK grades and I have a gift with computers and analysis.
>>
>>1337632
Hey guys I'm waiting on going back to school for engineering until I get more on my own. I took a lot of job aptitude tests and I would like to do something STEM but I really know very few engineers.

If I could I would like to maybe go electrical or computer engineering. Maybe get into the robotics industry after I pick up some mechanical skill.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? Anything you may have heard or know from first hand or even just your opinion would be great.
>>
>>1337632
If I major in accounting, will I have a job in 20 years?>>1337632
>>
File: image.png (420KB, 720x455px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
420KB, 720x455px
Could really use some advice

Going to be studying Physics at a top Ivy League University. I am not sure what career path I want to go down.

If it matters, I have ENTJ personality and really want to leave mark in world.

Reccomendation for careers, such as pursuing MD/PhD or just MD or PhD in Condensed Matter Physics?
Any specific skills that you reccomend that I learn, or tips on getting internships, especially with Research Labratories?

Would really appreciate anyone's thoughts and advice
>>
>>1343233
Go from Physics to Finance. It happens more often than you think, surprisingly.
>>
File: 1466916898060.png (1020KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1466916898060.png
1020KB, 750x1334px
>>1337632
Guys, need advice

Planning on Med School. I'm interested in BioMed sciences (uni doesn't offer Chem/Bio Eng) , but I heard that the degree is shit as with many science degrees and I'm reconsidering since I want a plan B

I want a degree that isn't useless. Going to do CS, CE, or EE, but I'm not as interested in those fields as i am in bio med atm. Are those fields boring? Lots of people have said it's stale

What do? Take classes that are interesting and get a shit degree with no guarantee of med school and no backup plan? Or throw myself into engineering to get a plan B, but most likely take a hit to my GPA since it's a harder degree and lessen my chances of actually getting into med school.
>>
>>1342790
>>1342995
idk, when I was a MechE major one of our profs straight up told us our starting salary would likely be less than a top welder even if he's technically subordinate to us. Because finding a very good consistent welder is harder than finding a MechE graduate. I ended up switching major after a couple years anyway.

>>1343233
I'm studying math at a top 10 place. I'd say it's ok and even healthy to not know exactly what you want to do when enrolling. Your idea of what is fun will probably have changed a lot by the time you graduate, the most important part is being open to opportunities.
Go into everything with a "this could be the love of my life" mindset. Sometimes it will be trash and disappointing, most of the time it will be meh, and there's a chance you'll accidentally fall in love with something entirely unexpected.
What I did to get research internships was just be myself ie. a prof whore. Your profs are passionate about their subjects, usually desperate to make you excited about it, world class experts, and they know a LOT of people. This may be different at your uni but at mine math classes are in the 10-20 students range past freshman weed out and profs are super available so I'd often chat with them about the lecture, or something I've read and how it connects to the topic (do whore your library reading random books btw, having a broad view is vital; eg between two students with good grades in abstract algebra, the one who went the extra mile and has heard of category theory or galois theory is taking the cake). It makes you stand out (ez recommendation letters) and you incidentally learn stuff about department politics and reputations. You're basically thinking two moves ahead of other students at that point, and if your grades aren't shit asking your prof for internship is going to be smooth (+++ if you have already thought of an interesting topic that at least tangentially relates to his interests) considering he knows you by name.
>>
>>1343373
How do you plan to be prepared for a very very dense chemistry and biology curriculum in need school if you plan in taking computer classes
Either take it seriously or don't waste your time
>>
>>1343373
So psych for those easy As. You're fucked if you don't get in but thats most degrees.
>>
>>1343373
Seriously from what I heard Med School + Engineering is fucked. Like unless you are literally a legit genius 165IQ+ you'll hate your life. Med Schools look really really down on poor GPA so if you end up with a 2.2 BioEng+Med then you'll fuck yourself up both ways as you won't even get to do BioE masters.

Just go all in on being a doctor, if life fucks you over you can just be a PA or Nurse.
>>
>>1343373
CE here. If you aren't interested in engineering and in particular the more challenging ones like CE, EE, ChemE etc you are going to want to drop out very quickly.

I made a few friends in CE, about 60% of them dropped out/transfered to an easier degree in the first year. We haven't even touched our specialisiations aside from a programming class.

I would not recommend it if you can't see yourself getting to the end.
>>
>>1343418
Not with those grades it's hard to get into rn and pa programs, man
>>
>>1343032
this. EE/CE are very similar courses and you can basically do the same thing.
>>
>>1337890
glorified babysitter
>>
Studying Physics at a top 5 UK uni this autum senpai. Thought about transferring into quant finance. When I applied a year ago, I was sure I was going to go into research, but I'm not so sure now.
Would I be at a disadvantage for quant work if I did Physics instead of Mathematics? I'm planning to take the more theoretical stuff if that helps btw.
>>
>>1339996
literally almost nothing besides some research work. You need a masters or to get anywhere in bio field
>>
>>1343431
They're teh same thing they only differ in two courses. CE take one more programming class than EE. EE have more math training than CE even those EE only go up to PDE/ODE. Depending on the school. It babby math to math/physics majors. Who cares EE can go on and do physics masters if they want to but physics student can't do an EE masters. EE is not hard just so much fucking dedication to pass.
>>
>>1343471
All this shit about masters or Phd is because boomers literally don't want to retire. Even though millennials will never replace the aging workforce in science. Gen Xers picked up the slack where it needed to be replaced. Honestly millennials got fucked over by the generational shift. From 2018 and onward the workforce should return to balance when most boomers are out of the workforce.
>>
File: 1453097028711.gif (790KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
1453097028711.gif
790KB, 500x583px
>>1343233
>>1343398
continuing, 8y is a long fucking time, you should take the time to appreciate your undergrad and mature, then re-evaluate whether you're interested in a PhD. Maturity is key, soon you'll look back to your freshman self and ponder how retarded and clueless you used to be, no matter how clued in you think you are right now. Related to that, this should be obvious but most researchers will be absolutely delighted if you don't have to be micromanaged as an intern. Knowing what you're doing, thinking critically about what you're doing and your results, having realistic expectations, searching and reading relevant literature on your own, and being able to lay out and adjust a work plan, are all going to make a good impression. A decently respected researcher telling colleagues you don't have to be micromanaged to perform is a top tier scenario for you.

As for skills I'd recommend, whatever you do, being able to program your way out of a fullerene bag is desirable. If it isn't mandatory take at least one algorithm class. C / C++ / Java are for industry and can be assets, but for research these days I'd say pickup Python and get experience with it, challenge yourself with small programs and get used to looking up documentation on your own. R is useful but you can learn it when you eventually need it and even then Python is arguably a good substitute (scikit-learn, TensorFlow...). Matlab can be useful too depending on what you do but usually it'll be covered at your uni... and Python can also do some of that stuff too I guess (SciPy). Python is the swiss knife of research basically. What is vital, cannot be substituted, and will be expected but not covered is LaTeX, start using it now.

More general advice is do sport, eat healthy, don't fuck your sleep, fuck girls (or guys w/e). High performance intellectual work requires discipline. Remember everyone fails at some point but leaders use it to fuel their next achievement.

idk if you have more questions?
>>
I'm European, studying at a great university (not Oxbridge-great though) and I'm getting top tier grades. I really want to go do my master's degree at an American university. Berkeley, NYU, Stanford and the likes. Besides good grades, how do I get accepted into grad school in America?
>>
>>1337632
Who made this list?

Most STEM fields pay like shit, are ultra-competitive as fuck and have crazy workloads, not to mention most STEM fields have like 1 fucking position for 50 graduates due to the huge decline in funding for R&D and you're competing with a million chinese super students now as well.

Humanities are in reality much better for getting a general job since you are taught skills that are more generally applicable to most general administration, office etc work.

Journalism for example teaches you a lot about manipulating people and coming off incredibly sociable. I've got several friends with Journalism degrees who bullshit their way into jobs they have no part in being in but are earning big bucks.

It's much safer to go for a field where you learn a broad range of applicable skills than highly specialized competitive fields that are being overrun by Chinese.

This coming from someone who did Electrical Engineering.
>>
>>1343470
no, you won't be at a disadvantage. The math they use in banks and stuff won't be out of your league.

The reason they hire quant degree kids is because they can understand hard concepts and they work hard as well as having a solid math base, which you do have cuz physics.
>>
>>1343507
Work defense or intelligence. That's usually the industry Chinese students can't apply to because of no foreigners allowed security clause. But the decline in R&D spending is the government fault in particular the GOP and their anti-science bullshit. But liberal arts kids do well in HR, admin, and business in general. Biz Dev jobs are filled with liberal arts kids because its a people oriented job. Most of those applications are coming from baby boomers who were laid off so that's why there is an increase in applications. But engineering is going through a bust cycle and the only field that's going to grow until 2022 is civil engineering. Do you have a masters?
>>
>>1343535
what do you mean by bust cycle?

I'm in CE atm and i've heard of a few kids shitting on all engineering
>>
>>1343546
Bureau of labor statistic show every engineering field except civil will have negative job growth. That's the bust cycle. It was bound to happen unless the US starts a new cold war and finally approves the nuclear program modernization then engineering goes back to historical levels.
>>
>>1343554
gotcha

hopefully the "follow your dreams" kids will help me out by not doing any STEM
>>
>>1343554
Guess I bet on the right major lmao
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/math/home.htm
>>
>>1337695
>no experience.
Well the investment banking suggestions will be very difficult to pull off now, same for becoming a quant.
>>
>>1338484
>CS is pure codemonkey
Considering SE grads are failing to beat CS grads in attaining software architect positions while CS grads operate less as code monkeys, this makes it clear that SE can't even fulfil their own role correctly.
>>
>>1343561
>http://www.bls.gov/ooh/math/home.htm
Math is literally a good major. There are tons of jobs for you. Heck you can do a biostat masters and try to work your way into an epidemiology career. I think statistics is superior to a lot of math fields and statisticians always love to butt head with mathematicians.
>>1343559
Wait a few years but who knows what will happen until then but right now the field is flooded. Maybe you can go do a PhD and you'll never be out of work. Research engineers are always needed worldwide.
>>
>>1343587
SE has been invented to get women in the compsci faculty.
>>
>>1343587
That's because some CS fields are very abstract and border mathematics or physics. Take quantum computing for example which is pretty much math and physics with some programming involved.
>>
>>1339581
Algo trading software
>>
File: 1461212227471.jpg (7KB, 176x240px) Image search: [Google]
1461212227471.jpg
7KB, 176x240px
>tfw BA in History with a minor in ecology
>>
>>1343037
why not find your niche as a civil engineer who has above average skills with computers and analysis? this might be better than being someone who goes into computers and analysis and has mediocre skills.
>>
I have a BSc in Psychology and an MSc in Sport Psychology. Got the top grade possible for both, and from top 10 universities. Thought it would be a comfy way to get a piece of the unreal amounts of money that fly around in professional sport, but didn't realise that sport psychologists actually get paid fuck-all and the market is already saturated.

What do?
>>
File: 1452276779210-1.jpg (108KB, 577x559px) Image search: [Google]
1452276779210-1.jpg
108KB, 577x559px
Just started a BA at top Australian sandstone university. Honestly lucky I got accepted.

I switched from an Engineering major from a shittier university because it was boring, isolating as fuck (FULL of fucking international faggots and autists), got shit marks and my interests had changed rapidly throughout that year (/pol/ ruined my life basically).

Now what fucking major should I do? Interested in history and philosophy but what is most useful. (was thinking about political science but lecturers looks pozzed as hell)

[spoiler]Also thinking about going into Law afterwards.[/spoiler]
>>
>>1343507
>Electrical Engineering

How fucking painful was that degree?
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 500x447px
>>1343815
>mfw I see everybody with that face and I still pursue a history degree
>>
>>1337632
Taking up AB English, planning on teaching English abroad. I am not a native speaker, but I am currently working on getting TESOL and TOEIC certification immediately after I graduate. Where do you suppose I should go to teach, and what possible contingencies might I turn to should teaching not pan out?
>>
>>1344373
My cousin just finished his EE degree, and is preparing to be licensed. He's took about eight years to finish, The course traditionally takes six years to take.
>>
Theatre Arts degree. I know I done goofed. I've been buying and reselling valuables for cash but I want something more secure.
I want to get into PR work but not sure how to go about it. Where do I start?
>>
>>1344813

If you work in theater, chances are its a non for profit organization (meaning you get corporate sponsorships, grants, and private donors to fork over cash to you guys because you're 501c3 tax exempt and also because your ticket sales can't pay the bills). If this is the case, get to know you're development director/manager/coordinator/czar because they have to have personality to do that job. Its PR work, schmoozing rich people and corporations to make tax deductable donations.

You wont make any money working in development for a theater because lol liberal arts, but any organization from a zoo to planned parenthood has a development team.
>>
File: 1466461069922.jpg (85KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1466461069922.jpg
85KB, 800x600px
Have a degree in Japanese language, certificate in ESL teaching.

did two years as a teacher overseas and fucking hated it. Fuck teaching, fuck administrations. Now work for Chase as a teller but want to move up as soon as possible. What can I do to improve myself?

I really like commercial banking so far, I find it interesting and more fun than teaching. but without certs and a finance degree I feel like I am wasting my time as I doubt there are positions available for me in banking.
>>
>>1344200

Political Science, of course! :^)
>>
What's the highest paying job that a certain degree could guarantee you?
>>
File: Capture.png (1007B, 90x29px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1007B, 90x29px
Why aren't ISIS rich? Surely they could anticipate that after a big attack like their attack on Paris that travel stocks will plummet. Why don't they take advantage of this and short travel companies on huge amounts of leverage before one of their attacks? Surely one of those pig fuckers is smart enough to do this
>>
>>1345066
they sell oil
they purportedly rob banks
they collect taxes on broke people
they run drugs and guns

they're probably doing okay
>>
Bio major here, just got a job as a Pharmacy Technician but I know fuck all about pharmacy, is it a hard job? Some people say they do as much as the pharmacist but some say it's just counting pills
>>
>tfw double majored in math and csc top of my class but make shit money cause too autistic to handle the environment of big companies.

Oh well at least I enjoy what I do now.
>>
>>1345104
PharmDs are a great job security blanket with guaranteed acceptable salary
>>
>>1341251
move to LA
>>
>>1345104
you in a commercial pharmacy?
in a hospital?
>>
File: 12369481273.png (180KB, 472x331px) Image search: [Google]
12369481273.png
180KB, 472x331px
>>1345110
Commerical. It's just a weekend position to supplement my wagecuck retail job. I'm in a two year college right now getting my Associates in Bio with plans to transfer into a pharmacy program, but I figured this would be good experience to have on a resume. I just don't know if I'm cut out for the position, I've never done anything before outside of menial labour and selling shit.
>>
>>1345118
well it's better to figure it out now then when you get into pharmacy school
buddy of mine is a pharmacist; makes good money but you're immediately put into a management role if you're at a CVS or whatever, so there's stress, you have to meet quotas in order to stay profitable, and if you screw up you'll get in trouble with the state
with a tech any problems would probably just get addressed internally
>>
I got a BS in economics, didn't learn shit about finance. I dont know how long I would lasted in banking, financial analysis, ect. I ended up doing supply chain management. Enjoyable, good pay, good benefits.
>>
Econ is a great degree but you really need a good amount of math/stats within your undergrad curriculum to look legit. If you want to get into business or anything where you make real money you need a MBA from a top 25 school.
>>
>>1345104
>Pharmacy Technician but I know fuck all about pharmacy, is it a hard job?

I thought they train you on the job, no? Really can't be that hard. Most likely just dealing with customers and if you have a question, just ask the Pharm who's there. You'll learn

Secondly, if you're not cut out for being a simple Pharm Tech, you're most likely not cut out to be an actual pharmacist.

It's best to throw yourself into it and get experience now to strengthen your app, because you're sure as hell going to struggle to find a job with just a Bio degree
>>
>>1337632
art is great you become a cool person, and you make money feeling like a kid the whole time!
>>
>>1345142
>I thought they train you on the job, no?
They do I'm sure, but I hear the company I'm soon to be employed with is ass when it comes to training and it's basically just "watch this old training video and don't fuck up".
>Secondly, if you're not cut out for being a simple Pharm Tech, you're most likely not cut out to be an actual pharmacist.
I like that outlook anon, thanks. I should've mentioned that I'm not going to just waltz into the working world with an associates in bio, I plan on furthering my education in Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
>>
What kind of jobs should undergrads be applying for? Several people I know have somehow got office jobs doing just random shit before they graduate, how 2 find such a job? I am stuck in shitty retail
>>
>>1345163
its called a google search
>>
>>1345154
Don't become a pharmacist dude, literally the worst career in healthcare and probably one of the wordt grad careers outside of liberal arts/feminist studies
>>
>>1345170
wtf do you know you work retail
>>
File: 183790283211.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
183790283211.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>1345170
I haven't decided if being a Pharmacist is what I really want to do, I'm hoping that with a degree in Pharma Chemistry I can diversify into some pharmaceutical production company or something, New York has a decent amount of them from what I've researched.
>>
>>1345104
Both are right. They do just as much as the pharmacist does but all the pharmacist does is count pills. Do not waste your life becoming a pharmacist - pay sucks, pay growth sucks, it's not a fun or interesting or challenging role, customers will treat you like shit, other health professionals will treat you like shit, your managers will treat you like shit and won't respect your autonomy, if you make an ethical decision that upsets a customer you can bet your ass a retail manager will override your decision to keep the customer happy.

And, ultimately, the job is easily automated and only exists due to legislative requirements - once those are out of the way dispensing robots such as the Rowa and consis will be able to replace 90% of pharmacists, and the rest will be employed in a very basic "check and counsel" role, where one pharmacist could oversee hundreds of scripts a day by themselves.

I have worked as a pharmacist for almost 6 years and hated every minute of it - and the worst part is the degree has absolutely no use in any other field. You have no qualifications for other jobs and you are now overqualified to take entry level jobs in other industries. You want t study something else? Better be ready to start from scratch because you won't get any credit for your pharmacy degree.

I cannot stress it enough to anyone thinking about studying it: don't.
>>
>>1345184
>I have worked as a pharmacist for almost 6 years
>What kind of jobs should undergrads be applying for? Several people I know have somehow got office jobs doing just random shit before they graduate, how 2 find such a job? I am stuck in shitty retail
>>
>>1345188
Pharmacy is shitty retail, bruh. Why do you think I hate it? Also the reason why I am seeking an office job, even a shitty low tier with less pay is better than retail pharm. I speak from the very experience of trying to get out of the sinking ship that is pharmacy.
>>
>>1345193
change over to a different company and cut down on your hours; you need a break not a new career
>>
Why are anthropology and political science bad majors?
>>
I can honestly sense the pharmacists' depression through their fake, half smiles at my local pharmacy
>>
>>1345280
go in the middle of the night the pharmacists are usually chill as shit
>>
>>1345124
what is supply chain management?

Anywhere good to look for more info on it? many people mention it and has a great salary. Im looking into MIS rn. Stick with it?
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (1MB, 360x261px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
1MB, 360x261px
>>1337735
Congratulations, you are literally living my dream pal.
> One year into cc at age 20
>Can't find a job absolutely anywhere
>pls help me
What business degrees pay better than others?
>>
>>1337632
why is computer engineering above computer science?
>>
>>1345308
any business degree from a CC is worthless.
>>
File: Doubt.jpg (33KB, 158x233px) Image search: [Google]
Doubt.jpg
33KB, 158x233px
>>1345184
What kind of jobs should undergrads be applying for? I am stuck in shitty retail
>I have worked as a pharmacist for almost 6 years

Hmmmmm. Why are you so butthurt at pharmacists? If you were really a pharmacist you would know why we will never be replaced by machines.
>>
>>1345308
go to any state school and if you have a decent business degree (not management lol) you can get an office job, and as long as you have determination you can move up
>>
What can I do with a Archaeology degree?
>>
File: 1430152570376.jpg (25KB, 257x307px) Image search: [Google]
1430152570376.jpg
25KB, 257x307px
>>1337632
English.

The only saving factor is that I took a course in Technical Writing, but I've no idea how I would spin that. Didn't do internships either. So what am I doing now?

Fucking mturk. Don't know what that is? Look it up, surveys and other clickwork shit for pennies. At least I don't have a wife and kids or some shit.
>>
File: royalewithcheese.gif (4MB, 490x476px) Image search: [Google]
royalewithcheese.gif
4MB, 490x476px
>>1337632
Take Political Science out of shit tier and move it to good or great tier, it can be as specific or as generalized if you want, can involve quant or qual specialization, and lead to a ton of different high paying and rewarding fields. The majority of people don't enter academia, they get fucking awesome jobs in defense, intelligence, survey research, management level civil service, think tank research, etc.

My main gripe with these STEM jobs is the limited upward growth, yeah you get 100-120k starting but then what, you either have to start your own business or hope to god someone dies in upper management and you take their place.

Also Military Officer should be in God Tier, retarded benefits and pay that amount to over 100k a year. Generally exciting work and is seen as respectable. Plus once your out every defense contractor and beltway bandit will want to hire you.

My friends dad is an 0-6 with base pay of almost 147,000 plus probably 60k in bennies. How is that not God Tier?
>>
>>1341395
man same shit. security is dead end as fuck and i already have my ba in CJ. dont know what the fuck im doing now
>>
>>1345443

Go work for Police
You do not have to be a sworn officer
You can be a clerk or take classes for forensics (you do not have to be a sworn officer for this)
You will get decent pay/benefits
You will get better pay/benefits if you are a sworn officer, might even make detective and rank with your degree
>>
>>1345420
There are only 11,542 in the entire US army. How long has he been there? How'd he get promoted to that?
>>
>>1345473
Officers are basically anybody starting in the military with a bachelors degree
Nurses with BSNs can go into the Navy and go through officer training in Newport right off the bat
>>
>>1345473
He's a Navy Captain. He explained that he got the promotion because he took assignments that no one else would and took multiple back to back sea deployments which nobody does.
>>
>>1345473
To add to my other reply, I know a large multitude of 0-4 + military officers of all stripes, I used to live in Virginia Beach and now Northern Virginia which is chock full of them. They are more common to me than white bread, but I guess I forget that most people aren't exposed to them.

Even high ranking enlisted is amazing as well. You usually get more technical skills than your officer counterparts and if you make it E-5 or higher in a desirable tech or engineering rate/job you'll likely get hired at 150k or more once you get out. It's lucrative, but hard to begin the process and get through the early years, which is why most people don't renew their contracts. If this is appealing to you, commit to your assignments, do the extra mile, and you will be rewarded beyond measure, because everyone else in the US mil community doesn't.
>>
>>1345510
>tfw math graduate and father made it to OF-3 navy then quit as soon as the strings on his scholarship expired.
Too bad no officer does anything related to math. I guess there's a few things one can do for DoD agencies but that's civilian so you get the shit pay and all the red tape with none of the benefits.
>>
>>1345535
The O-6 im talking about in question has a degree in physics and engineering and has been on conditional oversight of rocket launches and shit like that potentially. I think he does a lot of math.
>>
>>1345550
Honestly, I think I've come to terms with it. I just had an idealized idea of the military for the longest time (thx dad and propaganda) and I probably would hate it given the amount of bullshit administrative work; besides I doubt my typical channer personality would mesh with the normie culture. And I'm not even american so I don't get to play with the nice things (french military too poor lol). Ironically the place I study at belongs to the french DoD because of their weapon design engineering officer program.
>>
What do you go for if you're shit at socializing/networking but not creative enough for entrepreneurship? I just wanna work for normal money in peace without having to play the game or fucking with the rat race but that's pretty much impossible
>>
>>1345290
>supply management
Essentially large scale inventory control, company demand forecasting for particular supplies.
>>
>>1345290
Understand the performance of the company you work for and what they need now and in the near feature
>>
>>1341220
I hate it when dumbasses talk out of their ass about "only having a BS".

Fuck off, you think it's easier to get a MS or PhD than it is to get a decent job? Get fucked.
>>
>>1345680
in physics? what can you do with a BS in physics
>>
For legit advice on education and degrees buy the book worthless from Aaron Clarey. Good book and very helpful.
>>
>>1345684
Google it. Plus you have an employable skill as a bachelor should give you so stop being an insecure little cunt.
>>
>>1345680
Progressive credentialism. Society is becoming more and more stupid.(not academically)
>>
>>1337632
Where'd you do your undergrad, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>1345290
That study is worthless. Do not study it, even business administration would be more useful than that which says a whole lot.
>>
>>1345401
Collect welfare and be unemployed.
Or if you are lucky become the next Indiana Jones.
>>
>>1345692

>>1342988
thats me my associates in nursing is more valuable than a masters in some fields
>>
>>1337736

Yeah how the hell is having experience as a private in the military shit tier career wise? With the GI bill you can study anything tuition free, and you get housing stipend
>>
>>1345704
No shit, in some cases it is better to have no degree at all than to have a master in women studies. Not that hard. Physics gives you a good base of knowledge, but from working itself you will learn most because instead of reading theory you are doing reality. 8/10 would study
>>
Worth it to become a high school teacher? After 30 years of working you get fully vested in my state and when you retire you get a lump sum of four times your best years salary and 85% of said best years salary every year youre in retirement. Is this a good idea or am I crazy?
>>
>>1338860

Maybe try to do something in Banking? Hong Kong is one of the Worlds bank capitals, im sure you could find a bank in HK looking to hire someone with knowledge of Europe
>>
File: 1384706479335.png (596KB, 1021x763px) Image search: [Google]
1384706479335.png
596KB, 1021x763px
>>1345718
I started my high school math teaching internship this morning (south hemisphere has inverted seasons).

I had science seniors 2h who were mostly studious and calm, although I choked when I saw things like writing sqrt(-4) = 2 on the whiteboard, or another one writing 1/A in her notebook for a complex geometry exercise even though A is a point wtf.

Then I had lit/econ juniors 2h who were nice kids but literally kindergarten tier maturity. Had to write their names in a corner of the whiteboard with crosses = extra homework to keep them behaving, and even then had to quiet the class half a dozen times. It's kind of cute when you can tell she learned her lesson (derivatives), applies it to the exercise, and then fails spectacularly because her brain physically cannot process how minus signs work.

Old math teachers are super helpful and enthusiastic (so far...) and there's a free coffee machine at the back of the teacher room I'm told but I haven't had time to check it out. It's my first day so I can't really say much more for now. If you're considering it maybe try an internship ? Your uni might have deals with local high schools.

Also protip: don't do this if you have an underage fetish, high school girls revel in being promiscuous and looking as slutty as they can get away with.
>>
>>1337734
>>1337742
>>1338498
What does someone in international business actually do? Are jobs even abundant or is this a nepotism field?
>>1344200
>FULL of fucking international faggots and autists
The group of 8 unis here are packed with international students, what are you talking about?
also political science has amazing job opportunities dude, go for it!
You wont regret it.
>>
>>1345764
Not in it as a fetish. I just really like history and want to make it my job! Do you see it as worth it?
>>
>>1345353
See my post a few below that one. I am indeed a pharmacist and the job is easily automated - whether you accept that or not doesn't make it any less true. As stated, the only barrier is legislation which prevents pharmacies from supplying scheduled medicines without a pharmacist present. Remove the protection over the job and you'd be replaced instantly.
>>
>>1345782
It's safe but you're not going to get rich being a teacher. This may be good or not depending on your risk tolerance, but for someone with a history BA I think that's a fair deal. You have to be prepared to teach to teenagers who for the most part don't give a shit about what you're teaching. In any given class, 2 or 3 will be legitimately good and interested in what you do. If you're charismatic / good at teaching there's the satisfaction of making many of them interested in what you're saying and hopefully marginally less shit than they'd have been with another teacher. The school you teach at can make a huge different in how much (or how little) you appreciate your job. For most people, ghetto areas are very unfun. Wherever you are, many parents are retarded and will treat you like shit, the administration doesn't care (sometimes have to fight teeth and nails just to get a fucking whiteboard pen), and once you start teaching you'll feel like everything is getting gradually worse over time as the government is sabotaging education and standards go down the drain. History teachers have the added stress of successive governments trying to actively fuck you over by regularly changing your programs over inane political shit so the young ones don't thought crime.
If you actually like dealing with teenagers / children overall it's worth it, if you despise them you'll be miserable as they suck your soul. Remember even if teenagers look like adults they don't think like adults and managing discipline is actually an important thing.
>>
>>1345782
Oh also adding to that, some things experienced teachers have told me: you don't know how to teach until you've taught for a few years, everyone fucks up their first class catastrophically, everyone thinks about quitting the first year as they ponder whether they just made a massive mistake choosing this career, everyone has made or will make the mistakes you're currently regretting and getting over them is how you discover your teaching style and eventually become competent.
>>
Dear biz redpill me.

I did a BA in liberal arts focussing mainly on International Relations; I am now proceeding to study Economics.

I want to become very good at trading/investing. One day i will come into the acquisition of a hefty sum of money and would be very interested in multiplying this amount warren buffet style.

Not looking to get a job with a hefty paycheck or anything necessarily. Solely want to expand my skillset - knowledge base to make myself the most alpha investor out there. Not necessarily ride the corporate ladder; but rather be

Any lessons, advice, tips tricks. Throw em my way! I would hope to create some type of macro economic style analysis niche coming from both my understanding of IR and soon economics.
>>
>>1345975
>warren buffett style
>warren buffett style
>warren buffett style
>warren buffett style
>warren buffett style
>warren buffett style
>warren buffett style
>>
>>1345844
Yeah? Tell me how those automated interaction checkers work. Tell me when a machine will be able to read doctors writing. Tell me when a machine will be able to empathize with a patient. Tell me when a machine can phone your doctor for a refill or because there was a problem with the prescription. Tell me when people will be comfortable with their deadly medications being 100% automated. Tell me whos going to operate those machines? It's still going to be the pharmacist. Most pharmacy duties are therapeutic now and require conversations with patients. How will robots choose an OTC product for the patient? You would know this if you were a pharmacist. Automation may come one day but it is far, far down the line.
>>
Almost finished with my bachelor's in Ag econ gonna start looking at grad schools in a few weeks
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-29-20-37-04.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-29-20-37-04.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>Tell me how those automated interaction checkers work.
Exactly the same as what every human pharmacist does right now - puts it into MIMS or equivalent, determines the risk and severity and takes action.
>Tell me when a machine will be able to read doctors writing.
Very few doctors still handwrite scripts and it will be a dead practice in our lifetime, even hospitals now generate electronic sceipts

>Tell me when a machine can phone your doctor for a refill or because there was a problem with the prescription.

It should never have become the pharmacists responsibility to do this in the first place and this is mostly a customer retention strategy and not in the best interest of the patient ( ie. Delaying their tx)
>Tell me when people will be comfortable with their deadly medications being 100% automated
Considering how many pharmacists are overworked and make mistakes I would 1000x prefer a robot
>Tell me whos going to operate those machines?
One pharmacist, doing the work that used to take ten.

Don't get cranky because you actually enjoy your cuck health job that will cease to exist in our forseable future. Pic related, my degree which might as well be a piece of used toilet paper.
>>
File: 1456548950817.jpg (100KB, 393x391px) Image search: [Google]
1456548950817.jpg
100KB, 393x391px
>>1345978
>>
>>1337632
aerospace engineer is really a thing ? imo only those special ones will end up in nasa
>>
The only thing i'm afraid of is the tuition debt and getting a job with a maths degree(or any other degree). Now going to 2nd year.

I'm considering quitting to work full time while studying part time.

I hate the idea of being in debt.....
>>
>>1345041
>>1345776
>Political Science, of course!

Seriously? I'm questioning it because it looks fucking uber pozzed and so do all the lecturers
>>
Half of med school in a shitty country. I'll be a surgeon once I'm done.
> It sucks because I think that unless I work in a private hospital, I'll be making the same as a McDonald's employee in the USA.
>>
>>1337990
Get doing quantitative modules ASAP or you will be

Learn SQL and Excel like your life depends on it. Do python too, while you're at it.

t. guy who converted to business as a postgrad
>>
>>1346263
Half of those aren't even arguments. MIMS flags stuff that isn't a problem 90% of the time. And you ignored my OTC question. When will machines give injections? When will machines be able to answer questions the patient has? There are just too many things for it to be automated. What are your plans for when pharmacy is automated then? Why did you even do pharmacy? Do you live in a shit tier city because here we clear 6 figures.

>Didn't even get an honors

Ah, of course.
>>
>>1347015
or you can apply for a family practice residency in USA with your foreign law degree and live the 'merican dream
>>
>>1340588
Get on the Data Science meme train

They fucking love anyone with Economics, Maths, Physics etc

The pay is also fucking ridiculous.

It's a meme career, but one that has a bit of length in it before it bursts, and when it does you can just become a quantitative analyst of some kind, so it's all good
>>
>>1345848
Teaching isn't the worst as even though you cap your salary at around 90k depending on your area, you can move into administration and make more, even though its not teaching but still upward mobility
>>
>>1347041
what do you do now? BC doing MIS you learn excel and SQL like crazy
>>
>>1347280
Did languages undergrad, business postgrad

Came out with no hard skills (languages are a skill, but don't get you very far), tried sales, ended up moving into business analysis in a startup.

Learned my excel, SQL and python through it, as well as a shitton about how you run salespipelines, how you automate stuff, and basically how a business should function from the backend.

If you have good SQL and Excel, business analyst is a good fit for that skillset, but there's a lot of other stuff you could do with it too I guess
>>
>>1347089
Does MIS qualify for this as well? God damn big name companies pay 100k+? Worth it mang
>>
>>1347296
would you reccomend bus. analyst?

What is the typical salary, stress level and workweek like? Bc some sort of analyst (Business, IT, Systems) is typical for my degree besides quality assurace, which looks cool as well
>>
I'm starting in CS in September, as a mature student (nearly 30)..

I get uni for free but it would be great to hear what you anons think I can use it for to turn a profit to retire modestly on..
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.