[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First credit card

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Hey /biz/, I'm trying to sign up for a credit card today and so I can start building my credit, but I have no idea which one to choose from.

What was your first credit card? Would you recommend it to first time credit card owners?
>>
poorfag
>>
>>1337454

literally everyone in the US needs credit
>>
>>1337455

No, just poorfags like you.
>>
>>1337453
Just get something with no fees.
>>
>>1337453
Something literally designed for teens/students/very early 20 somethings...

OR

Secure your own credit card with your bank/credit union.
>What does this mean?
For people who do not qualify for a credit card, they can 'secure' (that is back their own card with a savings account or cash deposit that is both refundable and accrues with interest) a card. The caveat is this. Rewards aren't as great or are non-existent in some cases. The APR (annual percentage rate) is probably high and/or fluctuates badly. If you fuck up and can't pay, they take the money. Also, I've seen secured credit cards as low as $300 and as high $2500. Your credit limit will reflect your deposit. $500 depost=$500 in credit.

E.g.

I open a savings account along with my other accounts at my Credit Union.
'Yes, teller/call center associate, I would like to use the $2,500 that I have deposited into the newly opened savings account to open a secured credit card."
blah blah blah
Two weeks later, it comes in the mail.

Always make the minimum payment at least whatever your option. Good luck.
>>
>>1337453
Are you a student? If so:
>your banks student credit card which usually comes with no yearly fee and 0% interest for a year, very common type of card

I started on that and still have it (still a student) because it has a decently high limit for emergency purchases. If you have a co-signer you will get approved instantly.

If you are a young professional:
>Chase Freedom
>Discover It

If you already have good credit:
>Chase Sapphire
>Capitol One Venture
>Citi Double Cash
>Any AmEx

If you are looking to build credit, finance a mattress, I'm not even shitting you. Small initial cost and small payments but still makes an impact on your credit scores and shows you are responsible.
>>
>>1337470
>If you are looking to build credit, finance a mattress, I'm not even shitting you

Haha oh wow. I may just do this. Maybe I can do it for a new better
>>
>>1337453
Hey I'm in the same boat as OP, just a student discover card with a $500 limit, I have a quick question though. There won't be any APR for the first six months, so does that mean I can freely carry over a balance and my credit score will be daijoubu or will I get wrecked before my first year is even up?
>>
>>1337703
Do you want to build credit? If you carry too much credit, that will negatively affect your credit score, even if you pay it off. Use 30% of your credit limit(which for you is $150), pay it off entirely each month.
>>
>>1337725
Wow so even within the month never spend all of it if I can pay it all off? I was going to treat this like a 0% financing deal for 500$ over 6 months, but I shouldn't carry over any balance at all despite the 0% APR?
>>
>>1337739
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/facts-about-zero-percent-apr-credit-cards/

Honestly, if you already have the money, it's better to pay it off sooner than later. You don't want to risk paying interest. It's also more responsible, as you don't want to get debt and then losing control of it later.
>>
>actually choosing to use a credit card

You know credit cards were first invented as a mass surveillance tool that people would willfully adopt? If you thought quietly introducing mass surveillance was a recent think you'd be wrong. It's been the agenda of the US for decades now.
>>
>>1337453
Capital one quicksilver
>>
IF (<--) you have the resolve to use it properly.
Master Card with payback (airmiles, cash back, whatever). Remember to calculate your points when comparing. 50,000 points may sounds better than the free bag of hash browns you get at 7/11 with your points. They will give it to anyone who pays the fees.
Use it like a bank account, don't use it for money you don't have
You fuck this up and you will pay. (30% or higher interest) on the perks cards.

Otherwise:
Walmart card. Buy groceries and look like a good goy who can pay their card on a monthly basis.
>>
>>1337453
Capital One, they accept people like you
>>
I use a debit Visa card. Luckily I don't have to pay anything insane per year because I'm still under the age of 26. They have a special offer. I selected the cheapest and now I'm paying just 0.25 cents a month to keep my card as a bank account.

The actual poor part is that my bank doesn't support Paypal transfers. I can use Paypal to hide my identity, but not to insert and extract money from it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.