[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VV STOCK AND GENERAL STOCK QUESTIONS THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: ea6.gif (142KB, 450x400px) Image search: [Google]
ea6.gif
142KB, 450x400px
OK /BIZ/ I'VE GOT $196.12 to spend on stocks and investments. In my last thread, someone told me to buy VV stocks. This is what the anon said:

>Buy some VV and wait a week/month, it'll probably be worth more.
If not, there will be a better play for your money, and it won't drop much.
VV is a fund that seeks to track an index. An index like the Dow/Nasdaq/S&P500 that is comprised of stock from the top 100, or 500 companies that make up the US economy. They are good companies, not some penny stock scam. You could afford two shares, they're $95/each or so right now.

Now I would like to buy some VV. But since I'm new to investing, what website should I go on to buy some? ETrade? Scottrade? Ameritrade? Optionshouse? Motifinvesting?
>>
>>1334598
Robinhood, family
>>
Is gold going to jump again or should I sell?
>>
>>1334598
also buy a book on day trading, learn the terminology and memey buzzwords biz uses so you know what to do when heck happens like last night
>>
yeah the us stockmarket is in a bubble didn't you see how much it lost today after brexit? it's way overpriced, especially amazon and dotcom shares like that.
>>
File: 1461700220690.png (318KB, 830x569px) Image search: [Google]
1461700220690.png
318KB, 830x569px
>>1334598
tradeking, $5 trades OP

it will cost $5 each time you buy or sell a stock, no matter the quantity of shares

so if you want to buy two shares of VV it will be $95 x 2 + $5.00 tradeking fee

it will take you a week to get verified because of the US PATRIOT act bullshit.

You need a bank account and to verify your identity somehow.

Fuck the Patriot act.

I should probably warn you, don't waste your fucking time trying to buy shitty stocks unless you can inspect the business personally. I mean on the ground at the business location, to see if you actually want to buy a share of it's assets, current capital, and future.

The stock is valued based on the sum of the things it owns (the building it's in, for example, any machinery it uses, and how much cash it has on hand).

Business deals also factor in somehow, I'm not an expert.

If you have Windows 7/8/10 you have a "Money" app you can use to check prices on stocks, commodities like gold/silver/copper/oil/wheat/livestock, and currencies. The information on free services that show you prices is usually delayed 20 minutes or more.

Tradeking provides real-time stock prices though, as do most other online brokerage services.
I think tradeking also has free analysis, if you choose to believe them.

A general rule I follow is to do exactly the opposite of what Jews say.
You will notice the investing related news that appears on the "Money" app and things like CNN Money are wrong more than 50% of the time. A rating of "Buy" is just an advertisement too by the way.

Find a stock you want, see what "Motley Fool" says about it, and do exactly the opposite of what they say.
Take a look at the charts and pay attention to the high-points and low-points, a high point a year ago and a high point a month ago, if the high point a month ago is lower than the high-point a year ago, the stock has lost the faith of some of it's investors, for instance.

If the low points keep bottoming out lower, it's a downward trend.
>>
File: MUH FO4FU in cammies.jpg (125KB, 729x787px) Image search: [Google]
MUH FO4FU in cammies.jpg
125KB, 729x787px
>>1334684
Day traders get paid to shuffle stocks around with other people's money and most of the time barely break even compared to an Index.

An index fund with low management fees that tracks a major US index is the best way to buy and hold stocks. management fees are paid to a "caretaker" that very rarely sells one stock and buys another, makes small modifications. With a very active "caretaker" the management fees will be high and eat into your bottom line for very little gain, just like a day trader.

VV is one such stock with relatively low management fees and tracks an index.
It won't "wow" you unless the US economy goes to the moon, but you won't lose much either unless everyone in America is hurting.
>>
File: VV vanguard.jpg (225KB, 1815x964px) Image search: [Google]
VV vanguard.jpg
225KB, 1815x964px
>>1334695
I should mention the US index it tracks will generally net you around 4% or more per year.

VV's track record is pretty good, with 0.08% expenses (management fees).
>>
>>1334705
>>1334695
>>1334684
Though OP, if you can hold out a week or a month... You should try to buy into VV for the price you want.

Always buy at the price you want.
Wait until the news is oyy veyying about market turmoil, buy when it's low low and no one else has faith.

The American economy is always a good buy.
Last I heard liberals were oyy veyying about a Trump presidency.

Holding stock may also net you dividends.
Lockheed Martin (LMT) is a good stock for dividends. (it's also defense industry, a major company not some shitty penny stock)
I made 30% gains on holding LMT after buying in when the world was saying the F-35 is a bad plane. It's a good plane, and LMT is a good company. A bit late to buy in now expecting high returns I think.
>>
>>1334705
Can you leverage it?
>>
>>1334769
The only leveraging and shorting I mess with are in leveraged/short stocks.

Like RUSL and RUSS.
RUSL and RUSS are not made to be held to the next trading day btw.
>>
>>1334940
I see. Holding contracts of CFDs from these funds is probably not a very smart idea then. I like the potential of seeing a 4% year return with a leverage of 1:10 but I assume this is simply not viable due to the sheer liquidity and volume it would be necessary if everyone was doing the same.
>>
File: 1463176696910.jpg (19KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1463176696910.jpg
19KB, 450x450px
>>1334948
Well if you figure out how to leverage it, the banking industry will balloon to previously unthinkable proportions.

Like lumping all major indices from all countries into one stock, but start with the good countries first, then later bundle all the shitty nations in with them and create a house of cards and such a massive bubble the entire planet's economic systems will never recover.

Just like with mortgages.
>>
how does capital gains tax work if you buy stock at different times/prices?

E.g.

>buy 500 share stock A at $100
>buy 500 more shares stock A at $200
>sell 500 shares stock A at $150

would you sell the "first" 500 shares you bought, and have to pay capital gains tax on it because you made a $50 per share profit? Or could you sell the "second" 500 shares and not have to pay tax because you're selling at a loss?
>>
>>1335475

capital gains is based on your tax bracket in short term and fixed rate or no rate (depending on your tax bracket) long term
>>
File: upset bird.jpg (7KB, 204x200px) Image search: [Google]
upset bird.jpg
7KB, 204x200px
>>1334598
my options trading platform, thinkorswim, tells me that to sell 1 put in apple will cost $200 but have a Buying Power effect of $8000

i only have $3000 in my account. what makes the BP so high? can i still make the trade? [spoiler] i don't qualify for tier 2 so i can't make a vertical options trade with defined risk and such [/spoiler]
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.