[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

More difficult in the UK to start a business?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: handyman.jpg (557KB, 1272x791px) Image search: [Google]
handyman.jpg
557KB, 1272x791px
I would like to start something manual like window washing, handyman, car cleaning ect. But it seems like there is lots of red tape purposefully put in your place (insurance, CSCS cards, having to be qualified for certain things ect). I wish I could just print off some posters at the library and put them through peoples doors offering handyman work or do you need a license to do that too? It's hard here.
>>
Don't be autism.
Literally nobody cares, especially if your name is something like Bogdan.
They will assume you are not a registered company and cannot give them a VAT invoice.
You can still pay your taxes as self employed if you wish.

But remember that businesses will want a vat invoice. So washing fleet vehicles and store/office windows may be out of the question.

You don't need anything to wash cars, windows and handyman.
You get paid in cash nobody will fucking know.

You "need" a chainsaw operator's license if you're going to do any landscaping work with a chainsaw.

And you need to be registered or licenced or whatever if you want to do rubbish removals.

You definitely want insurance for windows and a council permit if you're going to set up a lift in public roads. Those are the things that will get you fined.

Just get a Transit Van and print out a few flyers.

Or better yet, put an ad out on gumtree first to get a feel of things.
Nobody reads jumkmail except the elderly.
When somebody wants a service, especially something like car washing they will look on facebook or gumtree.
>>
Local facebook groups and gumtree

Build a website on wordpress.com

Get a van

Don't worry about any of that other shit until you're making £150 a year.
>>
>>1326304
>>1326336

My idea was just to get some washing equipment and a van, print off some flyers and put them through letter boxes and hopefully start washing windows right away. If I make £100 a day I'll be happy.
>>
>>1325759
Nothing's stopping you. Just declare your earnings to the taxman. Don't fuck with the inland revenue.

CSCS cards are for construction equipment.

>>1326633
Nobody will pay you enough washing cars to pay for a van. You'll be better off as a 'freelance courier and removals' service. White Van Man, basically.
How many cars do you intend to wash for that £100 a day? Consider that your local supermarket probably does them for £10-£20 a pop, with pressure washers. And anyone who can afford to pay someone else to wash a car is going to be working.

Get your ass a website and a gmail account, and a 'work' phone that can take being dropped in a bucket of water, too.
>>
>>1326869

I meant house windows, I see alot around my town covered in bird shit and all sorts. Thought I could wash them for £20 a house.
>>
>>1326869
I assumed he was talking about 'detailing', and not the usual petrol station car wash job.
The difference is detailing can include waxing and polishing the paint, hand washing the car, paint correction, restoration of faded plastics, carpet and seat cleaning, alloy wheel cleaning/polishing, leather cleaning. and cleaning areas like the engine bay and boot.

All of those add up rather quickly and you are looking at well over £100 for a single car. But it will take hours of work and plenty of skill.

I know a guy that washes fleet vehicles. Same guy from above that does detailing or Valeting as he calls it.
Hos equipment is a wet/dry vac, a generator, a small petrol jet washer with a soap sprayer, and a household steamer for cloth interiors.

He works at night in the company parking lot and does all the vans and cars in one go. He charges something like £7 for a small salesman's van like a Peugeot 206, £11 for a Partner/Transit Connect and £14 for full size Transit. This is for a maintenece wash/clean. Basically just a vacuum and wipe down the interior, and regular wash of the exterior.
If the seats are dirty and, or there are things like mud and builders dust caked on the exterior or interior, the charges increase accordingly.
>>
>>1326633
Flyers almost never work. Out of 5000 you may only get 10 jobs. Thats not good enough.

Gumtree and Facebook have a much greater chance of success because people will search for and come accross your service when they actually need it.

The only time you should use flyers is when you have booked a job in a neighborhood.
Drop flyers in all the mailboxes announcing that you will be cleaning windas on such and such street at so and so day.
Also, get a large sticker for your van advertising what you do.
This ensures people will know that you are for hire.

Magetic stickers are a good choice. So are banners that you can place on a pole.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.