[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is saving for retirement pointless?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 83830275.jpg (42KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
83830275.jpg
42KB, 500x492px
I have a good job lined up once I graduate uni, and I'm already seeing good returns on my investments. But I fucking hate the idea of putting money away not to be used for 50+ years. I trust myself to not fuck it up badly enough that I would need it, and I fully intend to be financially independent well before 'retirement age'. I imagine most of you here feel the same way?
>>
>>1322589
Yes. Blow it all on drugs and hookers man. #yoloswag
>>
>>1322589
Wrestling with the same dilemma. Honestly fucking sucks. I want to retire by 30, not have money squirreled away for 40 years from now.
>>
No. Working is harder when you are old, you will want to take it easy and relax your old bones, not be working retail or some stupid shit.
>>
>>1322589
Just invest your money in good assets like stocks/bonds/property then. It's not frozen for 50 years and you still build up wealth. Thats what i due fuck paying into a retirement plan with bad ROI. Only good thing about it is matched contribution and low taxes
>>
>>1322589
>ever retiring
wtf anon, are you not investing in high yield stock?
are you not putting yourself in a position of high authority?
What are you even planning for that this is a question?
>>
File: 1460898426337.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
1460898426337.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
I highly doubt the world won't descend into full chaos within the next 50 years, so don't worry about it
>>
>>1322589
>I fully intend to be financially independent well before 'retirement age'
what do you mean by financially independent? if you don't have any money saved, how will you pay your bills in retirement?
>>
>>1322589
How do you people get jobs lined up out of uni?
>>
>>1322589

This makes zero sense

You don't need 100% of your post tax income to enjoy your life.

You also don't want to be forced to work when you're older. You can and should, but it should be on your terms, not because you're forced to.
>>
>>1324326
>You don't need 100% of your post tax income to enjoy your life.

This. Skip the expensive world trips and 3/4 life crisis purchases. Sign your house over to your kid when you hit 65 so the nursing home can't take it. It needs to be out of your name for 7 years to be excluded.
>>
>>1322829
Figure out what standard of living you'd get if you retired at 30. Then try 31. Or 35. Or 40. Or whatever.

Nothing wrong with saving up for 10 years to retire by 30-35, realizing you're not quite there yet, and putting in another 3-5 years. Or even 5-10 years.

If you spend at 20 like you're not going to make it to 40, you'll never have that option and you'll end up as a Wal*Mart greeter in your 60s.

If you start saving now, making your investment mistakes when there's $1K out of a $10K portfolio on the line, rather than $100K out of a $1M portfolio, your mistakes will take you a month to recover from, rather than a year or two to recover from.

And you might - no guarantees - get that retirement, if not at 30, then maybe at 35.
>>
>>1322847
>Only good thing about it is matched contribution and low taxes
So, the only good things are the free money, and the more free money.

Jesus, no wonder /biz/ is so poor.
>>
>>1325442
>only good things are the free money, and the more free money.

>free money
>free money
>free money

Its not free money when it comes with requirements dingus
>>
>>1325468
Enlighten us on those "requirements" brah. I'm curious to hear what some tripfag thinks is some burdensome that he's turning away free money.

>Do they even have tax-advantaged accounts in whatever country you claim?
>>
>>1325491
You want me to tell you what requirements that comes with a pension fund that you cant acces until your ~73 years old?

>Do they even have tax-advantaged accounts in whatever country you claim?

I dont claim a lot of countries but they do have those accounts where i live
>>
>>1323726
I guess I mean that I plan to have invested/made enough money on my own to not require a retirement plan such as a 401k or whatever. Like I don't see myself needing it when I hope to have managed my own wealth well enough without making contributions. But what>>1322847 says about matched contributions is a good point I always forget about. Luckily in my country we can take out our retirement money for a first house, which is probably what I'll do after working for a few years.

>>1324296
Depends on your degree. For Finance/Accounting the Big 4 will always have graduate jobs or even internships going yearly. Very competitive but I was lucky enough to make it.
>>
>>1325499
>Luckily in my country we can take out our retirement money for a first house, which is probably what I'll do after working for a few years.

Are there any penalties? where do you live? never heard of that before so curious
>>
>>1325500
>Are there any penalties?
There seem to be a few conditions. Its a pretty new thing as a whole.
http://www.kiwisaver.govt.nz/new/benefits/home-sub/
From New Zealand.
>>
>>1325498
>you cant acces until your ~73 years old?
But that's categorically and demonstrably wrong.

Please try harder.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.