[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRIMINAL RECORDS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1463316825320s.jpg (7KB, 250x166px) Image search: [Google]
1463316825320s.jpg
7KB, 250x166px
Anyone on /biz/ with a criminal record? How has it affected your employment and general financial life?

A few months ago I got popped for driving with expired plates. I had marijuana on me (possession and paraphernalia charge). Although I wasn't drunk, the douche cop still tried to get me for a DUI (even after blowing a 0.000). My urine has pot in it (obviously), so technically they can get me there, but my lawyer and I are still fighting it.

Since getting arrested I finished my first semester of graduate school and am holding a 3.8 GPA. I got, and have been excelling at, a small, paid legal research internship, which has me thinking about law school.

I'm generally aiming for professional, white collar work. This fall I'm going to apply to law school and PhD programs because I don't think my degree is too sought after in the job market by itself right now.

I feel like I'm in a better financial/academic situation than most people on the internet who complain about how a DUI ruined their life, so I'm wondering if anyone on /biz/ has any ideas or advice for me moving forward.

Many months ago a guy on this forum told me to do an internship with my state representatives, in order to have a REALLY REALLY good letter of recommendation from someone with real clout. That was an awesome idea and I would appreciate more like that. Or even just name-calling is cool too.
>>
>>1301113
Your experience with jobs/internships and academic record will generally reflect higher than a few fuck ups. Most jobs do unfortunately look at your criminal record so be prepared to explain that to them. It definitely will lessen your value to a company but unless its some government organization with super strict no tolerance rules it won't be a huge deal.

I posted on another thread >>1300694. I had a good handful of internships coming out of my cs/math undergrad a half year ago, but 2 years ago got charged with a drunken disorderly which is probably more severe than a small paraphernalia charge. I got hired right out of school with pretty good pay for my area, but I did have to respond to the HR guy when I got an unexpected call asking to explain the incident. I mean it's not good, but it really isn't the end of the world.
>>
>>1301113
>not getting an expungement
Maybe you are not cut out for law.
>>
>>1301228

Why do you think I haven't looked into that? Or are you not aware that expungements are controlled on a state-by-state basis? It is getting increasingly harder to expunge traffic violations (and even non-traffic charges incurred during a traffic stop).
>>
I got busted for possession which was a crime crime and plead to a violation. When I got hired they only asked about "crimes of moral turpitude" or something like that. It had technically been expunged at that point anyway. Not sure if it came up or not, nobody asked about it.
>>1301228
tfw paranoid it can still come up. I mean it doesn't ever really go away. I've asked on reddit law who has access to expunged records and they just downvoted me. I know someone does because the paperwork says as much.

I mainly just hope I never want or need a security clearance, although from what I've read I could probably get one still as long as you haven't continued using.
>>
>>1301244

Yeah, I definitely gather that a certain (reasonable) subsection of employers are only gonna care about things like theft.

One of my summer jobs did ask about my situation a lot, but it's a summer camp with kids, so that's to be expected, and that's not what I plan on doing for a career.
>>
>>1301113
Did you get sentenced yet? Get the best lawyer you can and shoot for a pbj. Getting any felony conviction can be brutal. I was arrested twice at 18 (second time was a warrant bc of shit they found from my first arrest) I had 7 or 8 felony charges and they were in 2 different counties. I ended up getting My admission rescinded from william and mary and lost a scholarship but my lawyer got my charges dropped to misdemeanors and a pbj on unsupervised propation. Only had to do 40 hours community service. Now im 19 and at my uni I got an internship for the national consortium for the study of terrorism. I just got hired at a yacht yard making 13$ an hour starting oay for summer. You wont be able to get white collar work that doesnt background check so you hvae to be upfront. Tell people you made a mistake and are trying to turn your life around. Dui is moral turpitude and not as bad as something like assualt or burglary. Typically the judge will go soft on you if its your first offence and youre a white boi with tax paying potential. The real struggle is if the mva or dmv whatever your state calls it puts an interlock in your car. They punish you seperate of the judicial system. If you have not enroll in some 12 hour addiction counseling class, call a dui lawyer and ask if they can reccomend anyone they will refer you to someone who does this shit. That should help alot if this is pre sentencing. If you have beens sentenced stay in school until you can get this expunged if you find it hard to get work.
>>
>>1301113
>I had marijuana on me
You're a criminal and have no one to blame but yourself.
>>
>>1301439
>You wont be able to get white collar work that doesnt background check so you hvae to be upfront
Seems like it's mainly a thing corporations do, same with drug testing. I wouldn't let it affect your searching and if it is a problem then just look for small time shops. Some may consider the small shops a better experience anyways.

>>1301222
>unless its some government organization with super strict no tolerance rules it won't be a huge deal.
Also what's funny is that it's technically illegal to blanket discriminate by criminal records (I'm assuming op lives in the us). Yet the government has no problem doing this.
>>
>>1301448
kek 8/10
>>
>>1301113
I am a felon. I was caught in TX with 50lbs of marijuana. It would be a problem if I actually lived in TX, but I live in CA. No one here gives a fuck, it's practically legal.

So no. No one cares about my victimless felony.
>>
>>1301113

>be me
>find first love, feel great etc, break up
>feelsbadmanwithagun
>went on a 6 month drug rage
>was in a car with 9 other people (small car also)
>we drive outside police station like the retards we are
>get pulled over, high as fuck, speed/ecstasy/weed
>admit to it, get fined for 250$ (sweden)

>fast forward to next year
>graduate from school
>play (successfully) the stock market
>have an average job while deciding what i will be studying in the future

life is well
a criminal record will hinder you from some jobs but it is not the end of the world my friend
>>
I think you guys are really underestimating how many people have DUI/DWIs. As long as it's not a felony it won't be too hard of a sell. Just tell the truth if they ask, and if they don't don't mention it. There's a reason why they're misdemeanors for the first offense.
>>
>>1301113
I was charged with home invasion along with several other crimes through out my years. Just get your record sealed up and keep your name off the interenet.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.