[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A little lost

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1460692008729.jpg (117KB, 800x546px) Image search: [Google]
1460692008729.jpg
117KB, 800x546px
Hey guys, I really need some help here. It's sort of /biz/ related, but I guess it's self improvement related too. I'll skip the sob story stuff but basically, I'm 18 and I'm very worried about my future financially. I fucked up real bad in High School, I got an abysmal GPA because I was a druggie and very angsty due to stuff happening at home. This last year I've been going through some periods of self reflection and I've realized I've been pissing my life down the drain.

My options for my future are community college (I live in MA), trade school, or some type of other job for now. The thing is my passion is politics or specifically geopolitics, anything autistically political or history related is my thing. I am also absolutely awful with my hands and have pretty bad ADD. I am fucking terrible at maths, or at least I think I am, I can't wrap my head around programming. I'm really starting to think I'm just not college material and my father keeps telling me this and I'm inclined to believe him. It's like I know all my faults and lack of self discipline, the hunger I have for instant gratification, etc but I just keep.. letting it happen.

I'm here looking at my bank account with 95 cents in it. I have a job lined up at a retail place for a buck above minimum wage for the summer, and if I am going to CC it starts in the fall. I guess where all this rambling is leading to is, where should I go with my life? I don't want to be a faggot but I'm honestly scared and I feel like I've let my immigrant parents down by not being like the protege immigrant children around me.
>>
File: 1450556123419.png (452KB, 1138x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1450556123419.png
452KB, 1138x1600px
Basically

1) What should someone in the US do, financial-wise, once he or she is 18? What should I focus on? what should I avoid?

2) I can have my parents finance my community college, but from then I'm on my own. I assume going to college for politics or history is a waste when my family does not have money, is IT a viable option? I'm 'tech-savvy' compared to others just only to the point of knowing my way around my OS and being able to torrent,

3)I feel overwhelmed right now thinking about all this. I don't really have the best mental health, and I'm off drugs except for weed (WHICH I NEED TO STOP) and that hasn't helped my mental health at all either. I have trouble setting attainable goals and meeting them. I also have a lot of problems with ambition and finding the drive to do what I should. So basically I'm a lazy shit. Are there any books you guys can recommend on this topic?

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: artzybasheff_cybernetics_e52apr.jpg (131KB, 500x661px) Image search: [Google]
artzybasheff_cybernetics_e52apr.jpg
131KB, 500x661px
bump
>>
>>1275076
sounds like you need direction. I'm biased but trade school has been good to me because you actually learn how to fix or build shit on a daily basis. Typically the bar isn't too high to get into them either, as long as there's demand. It's good for other reasons too.

you're also really young and good cashflow is important if you want to make your money work for you eventually. you can have a journeyman ticket at 22 and then go to school if you want to. nice path into engineering/business/marketing
>>
>>1275109
Thanks for the advice. I do need direction, my dad works a dead end immigrant job with good benefits and my brother is off doing his own thing in network marketing, because he has the social skills for it. I'm just so lost.

I'm curious, what trade did you go for?
>>
Have you considered medication for your ADD? A lot of people will tell you it's all a meme, but I had a similar story to you until I got on Vyvanse at 16.
>>
>>1275115
I turned into a drug abuser when I was put on Adderal. Now that I've recovered everything is fine, but I don't want to turn to drugs to get stuff done. I have some Dexamph on me right now and can use it without abusing, and I'm in a good state of mind right now, but in case I get into a hard place.. and lose willpower I don't want to be dependent on any drug.
>>
>>1275076
1. Get a part time job, acquire skills, save money
2.Are you going to go to university? Take as many transfer credits as you can, oral comm, english, math, biology, chemistry, electric, etc. Focus on a 2 year degree that either has a certification (clinical lab, nurse, whatever it side of things is)

3. When you stop drugs it takes time for your body to readjust to a normal level. Quit weed now, it fucks your brain up, makes you lazy, and isn't helping. Start accomplishing goals that are attainable and short. For example waking up everyday for a week at the same time, then two weeks, then three, then a month. It takes a month for things to be a habit.

Also with large goals break them up into smaller attainable goals. For example I'm going to get an A in whatever class: I'd break it down into every thursday i'll read half the chapter for next week, then the other half sunday. I'll do notecards after each class, and review each lecture the day after the class.
>>
>>1275076
do you have YearUp in your location? I'd absolutely do that

you can quite literally call your city council and ask about volunteer opportunities managing a district's Facebook. idk if it's election season but try to contact dem / rep people about 'call bank' volunteer opportunities, telemarketing for donations

I'm in your position if you didn't do much for the next 6 years, except I probably have some more experience. my aunt is currently a lobbyist for medical dispensaries in the bay area. I've volunteered with her when she was working as a campaign & finance director for a congressman

there can never be enough volunteers in the political sphere. just cold email with your resume until something sticks - shouldn't take long - and from there ask about volunteer positions more in line with your interests

if you go for political science at a jc while being proactive about these volunteer (networking) opportunities then you'll be set

take on this job and after a week modify your resume so that you've been working there part time for 2 years. make up extracurriculars (wrestling in school) and add an interesting 'interests' section at the end and start reapplying every day. google modern cover letter

"are you interested in a motivated [blank] with [blank] experience?

[fake experience]

my number is [blank]. I'd love to be a part of the team. please let me know if I sound like a good fit

best,
anon"

[attach resume]

and land a job making a few dollars above min wage
>>
>>1275664
Is YearUp worth going to instead of community college?

And so you're saying to volunteer at a local city council job so I can mention it on my resume for 2 years, to get to somewhere else?
>>
>>1276224
yeah, you'll make money after year up

I answered the other question in my first post. I regret giving such an in depth answer now
>>
Here's a suggestion. Do community college for 2 years. Get the 4.0 and transfer to a good public university. Research the school with regards to the profession you want to work in. Does it place well? Go there. Crush it there and get the 4.0, but make sure you study something you can turn into a job. Make sure to get internships. As many as you can. While you're at cc, work some shit part time to have some money. Don't be scared to take out loans for uni, a good job will pay for itself. You will have to work like a motherfucker, but if you don't want to piss your life away, that's how you start.
>>
>>1275070
if you realized this while 18, youre off to a good start.. you have no idea how retarded i was at that age, and only "wisened" up as i hit 30.. You haven't pissed your life off, you have so many opportunities.. just keep at it, and continue to build yourself up
>>
>>1275070
No one cares about your high school GPA once you're finished with college. No one cares about your college GPA once you've got a couple years of work experience.
>>
Tlj here, yeah if you've figured this out at 18youre ahead of the game. I suggest a trade ticket first because
It allows you to build capital
It puts you in the workforce immediately
If you do pursue higher education it increases your chances of getting hired. Because you already know what work is.

Spending tens of thousands to get a degree on the hopes that there's demand and that you'll like the work is foolish. Work first, get to know yourself.
>>
Try ritalin (prescription only, talk to your doctor/psych) my life was royally fucked before i got on ritalin, life has been smooth sailing ever since. It'll take some time to adjust but fuck it's worth it. Also never take any other drugs (including alcohol) when on it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.