[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wat do /biz/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: broke-male-college-graduate.png (196KB, 330x524px) Image search: [Google]
broke-male-college-graduate.png
196KB, 330x524px
Be me:

- Currently 1 year after graduation working at nonprofit for $15/hr
- have 2.67 GPA in bachelors of pre health, from top 50 uni
- Want to work as a professional investor (hedge fund/asset management) or corporate finance
- 27K in debt

Ideally Id would like to go back to school for something biz related and get a high enough GPA+ GMAT to get into a top biz program and enter the finance world through there. However I do don’t want to take on any more debt nor do I want to leave the workforce now while still in debt.

My bright Idea:

- enlist in military for an IT or Intel job
- use benefits to attend school during enlistment either on campus if I’m lucky enough to be stationed near a decent school or online

Harvard Extension Finance Degree
https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/graduate-degrees/finance-degree

Penn State Online Finance (bachelors/ masters)
http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/finance-bachelors/overview
http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/finance-masters/overview

Penn State Online Accounting (bachelors/masters)
http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/penn-state-online-bachelors-in-accounting-degree/overview
http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/penn-state-online-masters-in-professional-accounting-degree/overview

I do not expect to get a job by completing an online degree (unless accounting + CPA). But is it farfetched to believe that I could get into a Top MBA with great grades + GPA + military work experience? (I’m also an underrepresented racial minority/first gen college student). What advice can you give me about salvaging my career? What would you do in my situation?
>>
>>1267619
Start reading books about business. Start your own, and obtain lots of adderall to help with your low attention span.

You'll be richer than a wageslave and business schools will look at you more favorably than working some shifty job that you'll probably get given your qualifications.

Alternatively look into CFA program and grind your way up as you do it.
>>
cfa does basically nothing for trying to get into a business school fyi
>>
>>1267642
>cfa does basically nothing for trying to get into a business school fyi

(OP Here)

What would be your path to a top B school from where I am?
>>
>>1267646
my background/goals are way different from yours so i have no idea besides some platitudes and regurgitating generic advice, but whatever:

i think the military idea is a good one, just work your ass off and impress the shit out of your superiors/supervisors. while you're in the military i recommend going to military career/networking events - anecdotally i've found networking tends to be much more useful with military personnel than generic networking since there's definitely a sense of military guys looking out for each other. seek out high profile finance execs with military backgrounds, ideally in similar group/division/whatever as yours. just introduce yourself and let them know you're looking to break into finance, possibly through business school, and ask about how they leveraged military experience/skillset into finance careers. get a card and keep in touch.
>>
> be me
>auto mechanic out of high school because I was interested in trades and not writing fucking SJW college papers
>realize I'm better than being a career grease monkey
> enlist in Air Force as a meteorologist
> use all that tuition assistance while serving to get the majority of a degree done online in business
> Save all my paychecks because gov pays for all my expenses
> do my 4 years (traveling Europe mostly), get out and transfer my credit to a nice private school in Austin
>leave military with 80k in my pocket
> get internship at hedge fund because Veteran
> get offered full time job doing paperwork but decline
> finish BBA and start MBA
> Post 911 GI Bill pays my private school tuition + 1600 a mo housing allowance
> get offered a full time financial analyst position at a company and take it
> now pretty much the CFOs right hand man and I'm pretty much being mentored to be a future CFO
>280,000 net worth

Here is a guide to from normal fag NEET to well off within 6 years. Literally anyone can do it, I'm not even that smart (c student). I'm just disciplined, patient, and hardworking.

Two free degrees and prestigious Air Force experience, all while traveling and getting paid. Best thing I ever did for myself.
>>
>>1267677

(OP Here)

First off, your story is incredibly inspiring. You've shown me what I want to do is attainable through hard work and I haven't fucked up beyond repair.

I have a few questions if you don't mind

- How old were you when you enlisted (Im 23 now, I know it's older than average)
- With what institution did you complete your online classes?

Also congrats on saving 80K I read that a lot of military people are terrible with money and squander it all. My personal goal is to save 50K over my enlistment, I got them loans to pay back.
>>
>>1267692

I was 22, so I was also a bit older, but it wasn't a big deal

I was doing them at the University of Maryland (UMUC) online, which is shit, but once you transfer them it washes them through. I did my homework at work when the weather wasn't bad.

Just remember to keep your head down and think of it as a means to an ends. You'll meet plenty of brain dead idiots that will complain how you don't make enough money or this or that and will blow every cent. Be smart and leverage every benefit to the max like I did.

Do the time and get your golden parachute after 4 years, it really is a golden ticket if you're not the average idiot
>>
>>1267722
Is a DUI automatic disqualification for military these days?
>>
>>1267722

Appreciate the advice. Could you speak more on how you leveraged being a military member to get your internship?

>>1267653

Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement. It seems like this guy above is living proof that military networking works.
>>
>>1267626
Everyone on /biz/ shouts to start your own business. Starting a business costs a fair bit of money.
>>
>>1267677
Literally my plan and new found motivation by u saying that, but I was thinking of getting my basics then go to Air Force thoughts?
>>
>>1267677

(OP Here) again

Just curious, what kind of work did you do at the hedge fund you interned with? Do you feel like your education prepared you for it?
>>
(OP)

So i'm even more certain I want to take the military route. Anyone have advice on what i else I could do in that period of time to maximize my chances of getting into a top biz program?
>>
I see that the name-brand university you attended did you very well. Should have saved money, went to a shit tier university and majored in something practical that has a mathematical emphasis, like I did. I now make a bit over 100k a year.
>>
>>1270632

No need to be condescending friend. I only included the rank of my school to fully explain my situation. Trust me I have nothing to be boastful about, many of my peers did very well, I however squandered my time there. It should be clear that my post is coming from a humble place seeking advice...

But now that I have your attention, please do share more. What did you major in? Was it easy to get your job after graduating? What do you consider practical and math related? is it biz related?

I'm gonna guess math, stats, physics or some sort of engineering? if its any of those, i don't think it's for me.
>>
>>1268092

Yea it will be tough
>>
File: Capture.png (105KB, 432x517px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
105KB, 432x517px
>>1268419

You automatically go to the top of the stack over every college grad. The internship had previous veterans that the liked and only hired out of my local private school.

My financial analyst position that I just got was 100% due to my boss being an Army vet. It's the biggest frat in the world and you don't have to have a rich dad or suck chad's dick to get in.
>>
>>1268681

basics?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.