[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asking for raise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 500-142677-894__1.jpg (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
500-142677-894__1.jpg
28KB, 500x500px
Hey /biz/ just started my summer job as a dishwasher a week ago (I know sucks) in a restaurant in a tourist trap location(Burger and fries is $23 lmao). I'm 21 and in my third year of uni for econ.

The problem is the job is crazy physical and I'm only getting paid $11.25/h CAD (ontario). Job has a high turnover rate as they expect you to do quite a bit, so I'm stuck with a couple lifers that suck that are being paid in the $14-16 range,

Thing is, the restaurant desperately needs me as I'm far and away the best person there (ty based vyvanse) and the place just falls to shit whenever I'm not there and it's busy. They keep hiring new guys and they all leave or get fired within a few days.

How should I go about asking for a raise and how much should I ask for? Should I say I have another job lined up and am willing to walk? Help me /biz/ plz this is my first time.
>>
>>1263958
>extremely high turn over
>thinking about asking for a raise
>>
Let your boss know that your bills are stacking up and that may have an opportunity through a friend for a higher paying landscaping job but would prefer not to leave as you like the restaurant and the way it's being managed. Ask him if there's anything else you can do for the restaurant for a possible pay increase because you're struggling to get by.
>>
>>1264002
Also just read that you started working there a week ago. This probably won't work then. In order to get a raise as a dishwasher you'll have to learn a new skill fast or work there for at least a month before anyone could consider giving their dishwasher a raise.
>>
>>1263972

How does this not make sense? If people are leaving due to the job being too hard, wouldn't it make it easier by asking for a raise on the grounds
a) being much better then any new hires
b)not quitting in the middle of a work week due to job being shitty
>>
>>1264002
What kind of new skills do you think would improve my chances?
>>
>>1263958
I currently hold 3 positions at 3 different companies and I work those 3 jobs from home (remotely). The lowest rate of pay I receive is $42p/h, the highest $152p/h, and average would be about $75p/h

Resulting cabin fever, I wanted to get out of the house for a few hours each day so I applied for and was accepted to a part-time job at a local bank as a teller. Pay was $11.50p/h and so my take-home pay for 2 weeks of that role was less than I earned in 1 day when I finished my shift and came home to do my 'real' work.

What's my point? I knew that sort of job was only worth $11.50p/h. You need to figure that out for your job.
>>
>>1264022
>>>1264002 (You)
>What kind of new skills do you think would improve my chances?
Cooking and expediting
>>
>>1263958
You may not realise it, but you just tried to convince us that you are worthy of the raise with your post. Just bee honest and go straight to the point, just like you've done here, with your boss. If you fail, walk away (if you want). As far as I can tell, the opportunity cost is just too high. I wish you the best of luck :)
>>
>>1263958
a good dishwasher is the backbone of a restaurant. Most guys I know who are lifers demand 20-25$ US. but these guys work fast
>>
get a job that pays you as much as you invest in it
>>
>>1264033
I understand what you're saying is, find how much you're worth to the company and then use that as leverage. If I'm necessary to this restaurant and worth more then minimum wage, then they won't mind paying me a premium.
>>
>>1263958
>wash dishes for $11.25/hr
>complains he's not paid enough for an unskilled labor position that takes all of 30 seconds to train someone new to do
You will not get a raise. Find a new job where you must use your mind if you want more money
>>
>>1264348
>iminimum wage in ontario
Why should I settle for lower wages when my colleagues, who are lazy as fuck, get paid $4-5 more to do a shittier job?
>>
>>1264440
Honestly, the "just move on..." comments are so fucking stingy and defeatist they're almost Jewish.

If you're even thinking about walking you have absolutely zero worry about being let go, so fucking ask.

Most employees are shit and seriously overestimate their own worth... (and how low the value is of everyone else.) But... if you're confident you're as good as you think you are, just fucking man up and say it. Hey, I'm better than these guys. In just the short time I've been here I already hold this motherfucker together. Let's talk compensation if you expect to keep me...

The absolute worse that can happen is he tells you to go fuck yourself, and you walk. On the spot. That you need to be prepared for. Negotiation means nothing if you're going to put your tail between your legs and slink back to work.
>>
>>1264483
Thanks man, already got a few job interviews lined up for the next few days, hopefully something materializes.

Thing about working in these tourist trap areas (Niagara Falls), is that management everywhere is so shit. All the good people leave in these places and all your left with is lazy high school kids and >40 yr old lifers
>>
you shouldn't ask for a raise a mere week into the job, cause they can easily replace you as quick as they hired you. Just keep working hard and if you don't work in a shitheap of a place, they'll raise you without you having to tell them.
>>
>>1264021
This only works in your favor if what your do is skilled labor and it would cost them to have to retrain someone new.

I'm guessing it only takes half a day to learn the ropes (also worked as a dish washer, but wasn't a bitch about it) and policies of the job. so that comes to less than $50 training cost. If they bumped your pay $1 in less than 1 week you cost more than to just rehire.

Not to mention the fact that since you're a double-nigger you'll go blabbing to the other workers who will expect pay raises costing them even more.

So in conclusion, you should totally go for it OP. I'm sure it will work in your favor.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.