[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worth moving to San Jose, CA for a possible better lifestyle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 2.jpg (155KB, 431x278px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
155KB, 431x278px
Updated/Continuation of Thread

I currently live in Toronto, Canada as a fresh college graduate with my mother downtown and I am debating if I should start my career here or in San Jose, California.

>Money:

The career I am pursuing is a police officer. Cops in Toronto start off at 58k CAD which is 44k USD. Cops in San Jose start off at 84k USD which is 110k CAD.

If I were to join Toronto Police, I would have to stay 6 years to reach 110k CAD when San Jose starts at that salary (84k USD). If I were to stay 6 years in San Jose Police, I would be making 106k USD which is 140k CAD. It seems there is more money to be made in San Jose Police.

>Housing:

After researching, both housing markets are expensive without a doubt. Since I live in a condo in downtown Toronto, I know that the prices are ridiculous for the amount of little space you get. While in San Jose, yes the prices are expensive too but you get more space for your dollar. Plus it would be less expensive if you lived outside of the city in San Jose. I have a friend who is an Electrical Engineer and he wants to move to San Jose, so I might rent with him, keep costs low.

>Other Expenses:

The cost of living in San Jose is a little bit more expensive (27%) than Toronto. But you could argue that I am making more money in San Jose to be able to afford the high expenses. On top of that, you have to account that the Canadian dollar is 0.76 cents to the American Dollar.

>Other Reasons To Move:
Beautiful weather all year round, new experience, saving money, having independence and meet new people.

>Reasons Not To Move:
From what I heard, a lot of immigrants, ghetto areas, gang bangers, Spanish people, shit healthcare compared to Canada, gas prices and high car insurance.

>So it with worth moving for a possible better quality of life? Even California in General? Questions to me.
>>
>>1263482
Do you have dual citizenship?
>>
>>1263489
No but obtaining perm res shouldn't be too hard. Obviously this isn't going to happen tomorrow right.
>>
>>1263482
wouldn't it be safer being a cop in canada, not as many blacks, not as many guns?
>>
>>1263509
You're right it would be. But the money and lifestyle though.
>>
File: 1332869453988.png (311KB, 335x416px) Image search: [Google]
1332869453988.png
311KB, 335x416px
>>1263491
>No but obtaining perm res shouldn't be too hard.
>>
>>1263517
Lmao! It would take a few years but come on.
>>
>>1263491
That's hilarious. I'm Canadian and it took me 10 years to get my green card. YMMV, though, since you may be eligible to start the green card process right away after getting hired. still, expect a 7 year wait.

Also, San Jose is as expensive as fuck, so the 84k you'll be making will feel like minimum wage. I used to live in the Bay Area and I moved because I was feeling so fucked-over.
>>
you're retarded op

anywhre in san jose/bay area where you'd actually want to live are areas where fresh college grads are making 120 - 150k. your 84s will, as >>1263548 said, feel like minimum wage, unless you live in some absolute garbage area that will make you want to kill yourself within 3 months

stay put. moving to the bay area is a meme unless you have a job at a Tier 1 tech company paying you 6 figures.
>>
>>1263555
Fair statement. Would it be as bad if I moved with my friend who had a Tier 1 tech job in San Jose?

Would you recommend any other states or cities to police in that would make good money and live a good lifestyle.
>>
>>1263568
toronto has a lot of advantage desu so i wouldnt recommend moving unless you really really want a change of scenery for whatever reason. moving for monetary reasons in a fairly commoditized career (police) is generally ill-advised

re: moving in with a tier 1 tech job friend
it would definitely depend on your relationship and your personalities. just be warned that if you live together there will likely be a mismatch in lifestyle and spending habits, which may not seem like a big deal without experiencing it but could end up being awkward after a while. having casual drinks/dinner together could turn into a much more expensive affair for you than you'd like for example. also how much dose he pay for rent/how much are you willing to pay for rent?

i dont have any concrete suggestions that are specific to police but if you REALLY want to move i'd suggest looking into "up and coming" cities where the costs of living arent exorbitant but there's still some level of gentrification going on/underway.
>>
>>1263555
>>1263548
These posts are absolutely retarded. With 84K USD in San Jose you will definitely have more disposable income than 58K CAD in Toronto.
>>
>>1263574
Thanks for the really great advice, probably best I've heard so far.

As for my friend, he's a guy, who's about to be an Electrical Engineer in San Jose and he said if I decide to move out there, we would rent together. Obviously he would make more money then me and I can understand where you are coming from in terms of awkward financial decisions. But I'm sure we could make it work and it would save us both a lot of money, no?

Toronto is obviously an up and coming city, I am just looking for the best possible city that I can achieve all my life goals in.
>>
>>1263580
That's what I was thinking, I wasn't getting there posts. Like yea you have to pay rent, expenses whatever but at that high of salary, I'm sure you have money to flounder a bit.
>>
>>1263580
have you lived in san jose? there's a big difference in living in san jose as imagined and in affordable areas of san jose that are technically part of the city but definitely not what people think of.

the comparison would be like when most people hear nyc they think manhattan, with times sq and wall street and all that jazz, wheras nyc includes ghetto as fuck areas and outer boroughs like deep brooklyn, queens, staten island, etc that are completely different from manhattan , where people looking for nyc lifestyle would be sorely disappointed.

it's a very similar dynamic in the bay area. it's hard to overstate just how expensive the area has gotten.
>>
>>1263491
Lol
>>
>>1263586
No one imagines living in some fancy and hip place like Manhattan when they think of San Jose. Maybe you are confusing it with San Francisco. You can easily find apartments for $1500 a month in San Jose.
>>
>>1263616
Idk but I lived in San Jose for 2 years. I'm gonna have to agree with the it's more expensive than you think linen of thought. Especially since OP wants to move for "lifestyle" as a big component. Idk what that entails exactly but I'm assuming it involves some level of going out and enjoying what the city has to offer in which case expenses can rack up quickly, and would probably lead to living in a more expensive and convenient area
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.