[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth moving to San Jose, CA based on the numbers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
I currently live in Toronto, Canada as a student with my mother and I am currently debating if I should stay here or move to San Jose, California.

Apparently, the job that I'm going for here in Toronto starts off at 58k CAD which is 44k USD. If I were to get hired as the same job in San Jose, they start off at 84k USD which is 110k CAD.

It would take me literally 6 years to get up to that salary in Toronto when I start at 100k CAD in San Jose.

Though after a little bit of comparing, the cost of living in San Jose is a little bit (27%) more expensive than in Toronto. But to argue you're making much more money and the Canadian dollar is 0.76 to the American dollar.

Is it worth moving for a better possible quality of life?
>>
>>1261567
>living near spics

No thanks.
>>
>>1261592
Hey man, you could get to see some nice Latinas!
>>
File: 1428320095946.jpg (185KB, 419x610px) Image search: [Google]
1428320095946.jpg
185KB, 419x610px
>>1261567
Do you have burger citizenship?
Do you have the income required to move?

Moving for better gains is always a good idea, if you can afford it and understand the risks. Canada, especially Ontario, is a sinking ship. Brain drain will be back with a vengeance once Trump gets into office. If you can move safely then move. Look into other places outside commiefornia and see if you can find better returns
>>
>>1261567
consider also that the average house in toronto is over $1M canadian.
i would if i were you.
you will have lots of disposable income so you can fly back to toronto on your vacations.
>>
>>1261596
No I don't have burger citizenship but I'm sure perm resident isn't hard to get in my situation.

As for the income required to move, yes I do.

Why do you say Ontario is a sinking ship? And as for other places outside of California, they have the best returns in terms of the job I'm going for.
>>
27% increase in Cost of Living, however, a 100% increase in pay if you do move.. No brainer desu
>>
>>1261603
Yea and you get a shitty rundown townhouse for that kind of money. Or if you buy a condo, you're paying at least 500-600k minimum for a small box in the sky.
>>
>>1261567
Im trying to continue my apprenticeship and toronto has lots of people hiring but the drive is fucking terrible and I cant live there because the cost of living barely matches how much I would make. Im in the Niagara region and all the construction work here has dried up.
>>
>>1261610
just move to san jose for 5 years or so? you will probably learn more there and save more money. by then toronto real estate may have gone down and bottomed out so you can move back. demographics - when more baby boomers retire, they're going to need to sell their houses to have money to live. housing market in toronto will be flooded with supply.
>>
>>1261610
500 square foot sky coffin in uptight frozen wasteland vs brand new house with pool in tropical paradise fucking hot bitches. tough choice.
>>
>>1261604
Immigration law is fuckery compounded. There is no such thing as easy.

If you think the company is going to be around, and you're single, doo eet.

If you're married with children, NO NO NO. Your spouse will not be able to work, and you will not be able to house/feed/educate kids on a single income in the Bay Area.

But if you're single and you can get in on a TN-1 or H-1B, do eet. (If TN-1, become H-1B as soon as possible). From H-1B, you can become permanent resident, but that's going to take another year or two for labor cert and the usual DHS waiting. You can probably cut some time off that with "consular processing" but you don't need to worry about that until you get the LC, and the earliest that can happen is 2-3 years from now.

Worst-case scenario for single individual is company goes tits-up, you pay the last month's rent, and fly home. If you can skip one sweltering Toronto summer or one fuck-this-shit-called-snow winter, you're ahead of the game in terms of quality of life, and you'll have some interesting things to talk about on your resume.
>>
>>1261644
>tropical paradise

You've never been to San Jose I see
>>
>>1262980
no i have not
this is where i'm living:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=119700
>>
keep risk and competition in mind.

for example somewhere like NYC js excellent to work a high paying job... if you can find it. but everybody wants to live where its exciting and get paid a great wage, and so you're competing with 10x more people than you would be in Toronto. not only that, but you will have more difficulty moving up thanks to your competitors.

it might be worth considering building up your experience in low cost of living areas with small populations. If you spend 3 years in toronto as opposed to san jose youd probably move up much more quickly. and, companies take your location into consideration when you look to move up and move to a new location.
>>
Commiefornia is a shithole of the highest order.
I turned down a $98k offer + $7k moving expenses the second they said the only position is in San Jose.

You're going into software right? Well the offer you got is a huge fucking lowball; 6 figures is they offer graduating students with 2.7 GPAs like me right out of college with zero experience.

You'll be the poorest cuck for 50 miles. You'll still have to work extra long hours with no over time though, so that you don't get fired and replaced by Pajeet who's gunning to take your position at an even lower wage. And in fact you shouldn't get to close to anyone because the average job lifespan is about a year.

Oh and you'll be living in a heavily male dominated industry/city too, so you better love sucking dicks because you certainly won't be able to afford the 5/10 gold digging vapid whores.

Tropical paradise? Kek, yeah the feeling of walking up and walking around in a veritable dog's mouth is great. Not being able to go outside in pants or you'll die of heatstroke is fantastic.

Enjoy getting robbed by minorities and then shot to death by one of the most corrupt police force in the USA.
>>
>>1261604
> I'm sure perm resident isn't hard to get in my situation.

It's a 10 year process to immigrate legally and I doubt you can be a police officer if you are not a citizen.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.