[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for Web Designers/Devs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (21KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 259x194px
I am creating a niche social media/network site

I created a beta version of the site last year in around 60-70 hours using Wordpress and I was wondering is Wordpress the best way to create a site today? It's going to be more than just a social network so I need something more than Dolphn. I had to get hella programs for Wordpress to be the way I liked and worked for users wanting to sign up, but in fine if I don't have to do much (any preferably) coding.
>>
>>1261300
>is Wordpress the best way to create a site today
No?
If you mean for a lone-wolf who barely knows any code then sure I guess.
>>
>>1261304
It's actually a group of about 4 people workin on this project and I know html, Java, Python obviously and a little bit of C (not much) but I don't have the time with work, it's more of a side project
>>
I use Wordpress for my site with my self made theme. But I merely want to present information.

If you want a more interactive site then using Wordpress is possible, but coding it yourself will give you a lot more control over it. I've found Wordpress to be highly restrictive.

I think most business owners didnt know how to code before starting an online business. They just started doing it using the book-on-lap method.
>>
>>1261331
What type of restrictions are there, also I do plan on making my own theme
>>
>>1261342
A lot of features arent build in. I had trouble sorting posts (plugin fixed that), dynamic menus (self coded), formatting comments (did it using black magic) and post dependent banners (coded myself), disabling certain urls (still on my to do list) and other things. You cant easily change core functions and often way too many things get loaded. When using wordpress and plugins you are also dependent on other parties to keep your site working, which is a business risk.
>>
>>1261348
Do you mind telling me what type of site you run-or the name of it?
>>
>>1261353
It's a combination of a hobby site a community forum and a hobbyist store.
>>
>>1261357
Oh okay thanks. Just one last question , last year when we developed an early rendition of the site the only problem we faced was it was only formatted for 1080p monitors and laptops that were 1366 would stretch the site - how do you combat this?
>>
>>1261359
I use three .css files. One for mobile, one for tablets and one for desktops. Depending on the screen size a different .css file gets loaded using media queries (css). In the header I put the viewport (some css metadata saying to ignore resolutions and use real screen sizes or something).
>>
>>1261364
Oh alright I'll look into that, thanks a lot man
>>
>>1261300
I make simple websites for people using Wordpress. But, like >>1261331 said, it's only to present information. They're very simple websites with a blog/FAQ/contact page. For that, Wordpress works really really well. Development speed is very fast and it's very flexible in what it can do. I'm afraid if you want a QUALITY social network site you'll have to use your own central managing system. I mean, you /could/ make it work with Wordpress, but it'd be buggy, messy and full of plugins. Pretty sure it'd stop working at some point.

However, you could just make a prototype of your site in Wordpress and then pitch the idea to a company that'd work on it from there. That's one way you could make it happen.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.