[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is petroleum engineering a good major? I want to make lots of money.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: canadian_peso.jpg (231KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
canadian_peso.jpg
231KB, 1300x1300px
Is petroleum engineering a good major? I want to make lots of money.
>>
>>1254884
Do something that makes you happy.
>>
>>1254884
No. The future of oil doesn't look good.
>>
Engineering market is going to be flooded within the next few years.

Every other high schooler that's graduating wants to get into CS or engineering

A decade ago the big meme was biochem, but it's a shit market now
>>
>>1254884
It was. Not anymore so long as oil prices stays low. The upstream side will be flooded with more experienced people looking for jobs for the next few years. So unless you can pull off a 4.0 while joining a fraternity and volunteering to save African babies in Africa instead of shitposting on /biz/, then PetroE would be a bad major.

However, best engineering major for purely money is chemical at a school that ExxonMobil/Shell recruit from. You could take classes that qualify you for a PetroE job while also having the ability to go somewhere else if the jobs aren't there by the time you graduate.

Engineering does have a chance of getting you stuck in a technical position forever if you pick the wrong company, though. If you're looking for long-term, making-millions-a-year-as-a-CEO bucks, pick a successful Fortune 50 company that you'd want to work for. Go to a school that they heavily recruit for the major that they CEO and other board members had in their undergrad.
>>
Related: would I be retarded to start an EE degree in the fall?
>>
all the petroleum engineers I know made bank for 2 years, then got fired and have been unemployed for the past year with dim prospects for future employment in o&g
>>
>>1255223
Not unless you plan to live in a place where the population has banned electronics and no one thinks that circuits/electricity is useful. I graduated and don't regret it yet.
>>
>>1255223
No. ECE has a lot more industry/academic options than PE - like, a lot lot more since PE can only go into upstream oil & gas.

Just don't go to a school that Intel doesn't recruit from and expect to get in that industry. Or delude yourself into thinking working for an overcrowded computer engineering field will net you a good salary.
>>
>>1255235
Nice ID tag. Yeah I just get hesitant because everybody keeps saying that everybody is going into engineering and the market will be flooded. They seem to say that mostly about CS but also engineering. Still gonna do it. I figure with solar energy, electric cars and AI coming to fruition the need for EEs is going to make a jump in the next few years anyways
>>1255245
Just to confirm, you're saying to go EE and don't fall for the overcrowded Computers meme?

I'd be graduating U of Minnesota, btw. Decent EE school.
>>
>>1254884
go with chemical engineering if you want to get into oil and gas
>>
>>>/adv/
>>
>>1255294
>>>kek yourself, 1/3 threads here belong on /b/ anyways
>>
>>1254913
Every other high schooler is getting a shit GPA at a shit university with no internships and will be living in LA or NYC working at starbucks and complaining about getting a meme degree. It isn't because there were too many graduates, it's not because of Pajeet, it's just because they're shit.

>>1255223
Electronics will only continue to grow, while petrochemicals will decline before you retire. Just don't get cucked into doing something boring as hell. Stuff like VLSI and embedded are way more interesting than things like power IMO.
>>
PhD in math, any job, 300k, etc
>>
>>1254884
Mid tier uni compE
Still hireable. I've completed 1 year and I'm at a 4.0. I know that its going to get harder from here on.

Will I be fine?
>>
>>1254884
Like others have said don't fuck yourself and only give yourself a couple options go with chemical engineering and do petrol jobs and chem jobs.
>>
>>1255223
As long as you're good at it, don't worry too much.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.