[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hedge funds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: _20160507_011356.jpg (136KB, 2406x1344px) Image search: [Google]
_20160507_011356.jpg
136KB, 2406x1344px
Are they any good?
>>
>>1234015
skewered results cause of fees and bonus payouts
>>
File: 1417416905987.jpg (92KB, 460x692px) Image search: [Google]
1417416905987.jpg
92KB, 460x692px
>>1234015

>>1234015

Depends on the PM. Unlike a doctor or a pilot, anyone can call himself a HF manager without a licence or a badge. All you need is a prime broker, an auditor and a legally reviewed offering memorandum.

Lots of former bank traders have set up their own HF's and are delivering consistent, above market returns. They are having a nice time, don't need to wear ties and attend silly meetings anymore. You'll never hear of those, because they have their network (e.g. investors) by the time they go live linded up already, and rarely accept new clients.

Then there are the wannabes. They heard of the obscene amount of $$$ one can make as a HF PM, and want a piece of the cake. They don't care about such details like lack of experience, track record or capabilites. All they're aiming for are models and bottles. They burn their clients money while charging really high fees and give the whole industry a bad name.

True story.
>>
If we are going to follow the EMH they like to teach at school then no. And if you look at the average hedge funds you can see that they are shit and never do better than the market - but there are clearly some funds which have actually been able to achieve above market returns - whether by luck or skill is hard to say, though I'd probably assume many of the short term succesful ones are just lucky.
>>
>>1234166
>but there are clearly some funds which have actually been able to achieve above market returns
that's insider trading my friend these people have great connections and get a heads up.
>>
>>1234015

No. Some funds can get better than market returns but once you factor in the expense ratio you are worse off.

You are better off with just buying a passively managed fund such as an index based ETF.
>>
>>1234166
>>1234514
>>1234520

Guiyes, guyyyyes, STAAAAPH

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-22/hedge-funds-underperform-sp-7th-year-row-here-are-their-top-holdings
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.