[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Becoming a consultant / freelancer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (99KB, 750x562px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 750x562px
I know python, MATLAB, excel and C++. I'm studying applied physics so obviously I know quite a lot of math and physics. I've taken a few econ/finance classes on the side. I'm looking to be a consultant next to being a student to hopefully earn some extra income.

What type of businesses should I approach to offer consulting services considering my skillset? Basically what are some good places to look for people/businesses who could benefit from what I know?

Btw just so there's no confusion I would consider helping a local small business improve their website for $500 'consulting'.
>>
>>1233801
Also just to specify a bit more on the "I know a lot of math and physics" bit: I'm quite experienced at creating mathematical / statistical models, creating high-performance programs capable of handling heavy numerics/numerical physics. Computational nonlinear dynamics, linear networks, you name it.
>>
>>1233801

you are a woz in need of a jobs.

we can partner up. you do all the coding the technical stuff. i'll go find you people in need of your services and I'll keep 70% of gross revenue.
>>
>>1233863
>we can partner up. you do all the coding the technical stuff. i'll go find you people in need of your services and I'll keep 70% of gross revenue.
Seems fair. I'll get right on creating our business cards; I'm assuming you want your title to be "idea guy", yes?
>>
unfortunately this >>1233863

Ideally you could brainstorm and go through 100s of ideas in different sectors of the economy and hone in on a good business idea, test it, discover there are huge obstacles and put it on hold, test a dozen other business ideas, eventually stumble across one you think is worth committing to and hopefully start something yourself.

The only alternative is to cuck yourself and code for some trust fund Chad with an idea for an "app" for minimum wage.
>>
>>1233875

i prefer the term "conceptualizer". just let me do all the talking and promising when it comes to our clients.
>>
>>1233884
>conceptualizer
Ah yes that does sound very nice, I agree. Furthermore I think it would be a good idea to sign some sort of intellectual property contract such that you will own all rights of everything I create in our partnership; I imagine it will make running operations on your side a lot smoother.
>>
On the topic of consulting, I'm considering trying my hand at being a web and digital marketing consultant. I currently work as a web developer at a small marketing firm and, from what I've seen, I think I can handle the business side of things as well - assuming I prepare properly before diving into it. I'm not planning on quitting my job immediately to go gallivanting off into a new project.

Any consultants out there, web or otherwise, who'd be willing to share their experiences with starting their own businesses?
>>
>>1233801
M8 if you're already know how to code, good w/ math, and learning finance, why don't you just develop trading algos for yourself? The upside it's way better.
>>
>>1234815
Not op but… would you care to share some info? Machine learning is a must? And that book by kevin davey?
>>
>>1234834
No, machine learning is not a must, nor is it particularly useful for forecasting price movement. For low frequency trading it's basically useless, there's simply too much info for machine to learn. For higher frequency like at minute level it helps creating regression models that somewhat filter out short term noises, but again for retails it won't necessarily translate into alpha. All trading algos can be roughly divided into two types: momentum based and mean reversion based. If you want to get some trading ideas I recommend reading "Trading Systems and Methods" by Perry Kaufman.
>>
>>1234872
Thank you so much anon
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.