[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I do software development for living and I want to earn some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I do software development for living and I want to earn some extra money. I am trying to figure out the best way to do it but Apps world looks oversaturated and I have no experience in trading. Any idea /biz/?
>>
>>1226688

1. Download IB API
2. Decide TWS or IB Gateway
3. ???
4. Profit!!!
>>
Do what I did - cut your living expenses down to the minimum and invest everything you've got. Balance it out between an index fund and real estate.

By the time you hit middle-age, you'll be unemployable as a programmer, so plan accordingly.
>>
>>1227008
>By the time you hit middle-age, you'll be unemployable as a programmer

Why?

And by that time you should have already moved to manager. What am I missing?
>>
>>1227008
>By the time you hit middle-age, you'll be unemployable as a programmer, so plan accordingly.

not all programming jobs revolve around the latest hot startups in silicon valley - I've met plenty of old programmers making serious $$$$ working in fiance - in some cases they've got very deep knowledge and are great resources in others they've simply got obscure knowledge that is harder to find and are content maintaining some legacy system the bank relies on and won't be getting rid of any time soon... there is still stuff out there written in COBOL, Fortran and various derivatives of APL... Morgan Stanley even has its own APL language called A+

there are 60 year olds out there with probably some of the least stressful jobs on wall street earning decent money - they're just left to it, maintaining stuff they've worked on for a couple of decades or so
>>
>>1226724
start with tws until your sure all your order management code is rock solid. You're gonna wanna see those orders at first.

I'm about 6 years deep, been living off it for 2.

come hangout.

https://discord.gg/0r6y9uFQmX7QuwJy
>>
>>1227039
Well, there's a lot of things that break down on both sides of the fence, in my experience. The employers do have a certain amount of ageism, though mostly it's to do with seeing older people as simply being too expensive And, as you get older, you have more responsibilities and simply can't commit the extra time to keeping current with everything.

Yes, there's management, but a common misconception is that it's "just the next step up" from developer. It's a different job altogether and making that transition isn't a given.

>>1227395
I've met a few older devs too, but it's not nearly as common for reasons above. I think many have to transition out of the career to keep viable.

Maybe I should have said it a little less harshly, though, so saying "you'll be unemployable" is not really right.

Instead, I'd say "when you start, have a 15-20 year plan to exit the field". That way, if something goes sideways, you'll at least have a way out.
>>
>>1227494
well I certainly know of one firm where the devs are typically older simply due to the technology stack and age of the product, there are software companies like that out there. I mean there have been software solutions out there for ages and it can easily take more people to actively maintain big legacy systems than it took to build the initial system in the first place

at vendors there is plenty of opportunity to move into pre-sales, consulting, technical account management etc.. too. A lot of those older guys have decent experience and are good to stick in front of a client as a grey haired 'expert'.
>>
>>1226688
I have an app that I believe in pretty thoroughly. Developed the groundwork but need the rest done professionally.

What's a reasonable rate?
>>
>>1227595
checkout vworker you'll find someone good for a reasonable price.
>>
advertising freelancing is really good, but it's even better if you go out and try to get clients on your own

it requires some hustle, but there are a lot of rich technologically illiterate people with shitty websites who will pay big bucks for nice shit
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.