[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are unpaid internships good or bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 6-tied-to-work.jpg (24KB, 480x255px) Image search: [Google]
6-tied-to-work.jpg
24KB, 480x255px
Are unpaid internships good or bad
>>
>>1224328
I'd say good if one it doesn't completely consume your life (<20 hrs/wk), teaches skills you didn't know, and/or can lead to real employment.

If you can't meet at least 2 of those 3, then it's bad.
>>
>>1224328
Good for the employer. I love hiring unpaid interns on the promise of "consideration" for a full time position, then completely forgetting about them and hiring more unpaid interns to fill their positions when they leave.
>>
>>1224328
They say there is not such a thing as a stupid question, but this one makes me reconsider.
>>
they are good.. its another way for cuckslave to shine
>>
>>1224328
Bad. If you don't value your time, why would anyone else? I don't respect people who do unpaid internships and would never expect someone to work for me without any payment.

Also, since these internships are unpaid, the chances are you won't even have to do much and nobody will trust you anything worthwhile anyway. I ended up sitting all day in the office and listening to music during my first unpaid internship. It sucked hard.
>>
>>1224516
well if they could do the job of experienced workforce everybody would do this.
but it takes them about 2 weeks to accomplish a 2-3 day task if they are the brighter kind if not then it's not even gonna happen.
>>
>>1224525
>and would never expect someone to work for me without any payment.
well count your hourly wage as payment as you teach them stuff. suddenly you feel they should pay you.
>>
Unpaid internship literally means "we picked this guy off the street to do our bitch work. He's gonna break his back making copies and buying coffee for the people we do pay, like this other intern, because he thinks people are going to take him seriously after we give him a year of bitch work with nothing to show for it"

I demand paid internships, not because I need money, but because companies are less likely to fuck around with you because they're actually paying for your time.

It has also been said that your value as a human being is as high as someone is willing to pay for. So, before you pick that unpaid internship, you gotta ask yourself, "Is my time really worth *nothing*?"
>>
>>1224566
>demand paid internships
that only works if you actually can do something worth that money tho. with no experience the fields are limited.

we have paid and unpaid interns some was worth it most didn't. internship is supposed to be a company investing in you in hopes you will use the experience at the company if you like it.

some do make it all about slave labor but there is no way on earth it will be worth it. the interns will do everything to avoid being productive.

our last intern was unpaid he was smart and capable but awfully unproductive and slow. so we decided to not pay him just yet but offer him a paid internship for some more time and maybe he catches on maybe he won't. there is a learning curve to everything and a lot depends on your previous experience and how much effort you really put into learning.
>>
>>1224328
modern day slavery
looks better than no experience though
>>
>>1224596
>modern day slavery
the world is really gone to shit
>>
Hey /biz/ I'll be honest and you guys will probably call me lazy, but I hate working. Waking up without the freedom to do what I want the majority of the time, the thought depresses me. However I'm more than willing to do it for a time of it means it ends up stabilizing me. Does anyone know if it's possible to invest my money into something, let it be stocks, landlord, etc and actually make money a good amount of money back? Not an extremely high amount but like 45 - 50 thousand a year, and work a small amount / not at all on the side. This might be a dumb question but I'm new to /biz/ and trying to pick up as much advice as you guys can give.

Now the rare opportunity, my soon to be fiance's father is a stone dealer in the business for himself. He built the company he owns by himself alone, and makes a decent living in the middle/upper class bracket. He goes on trips around the world for business, he actually just got back from a month in China straight to Costa Rica. Neither of his daughters want to take on the business when he gets older, and there's a possibility that I myself could learn from him, possibly take a business administrator course, and maybe he would hire me, and when he retires make me CEO since I'm married to his daughter and I'm competent. What do you guys think of this? Would you persue this opportunity personally? Any responses and I'll be very grateful.
>>
>>1224615
Awkward, posting is hard, sorry guys
>>
there is something else i want to add to this discussion. an intern after 2 or 3 weeks was asked "well did you learn something interesting?" he said to me "a lot. i don't know why i did the uni, they didn't prepare me for this at all." and i was like "well yeah the uni doesn't prepare you for anything but you really learn how to study there and get confidence in your ability to acquire knowledge. and also they teach you to see the world a bit different that is what going to college gives you. but real skills and knowledge you use in your job, that is not provided you have to learn that on your own."
>>
>>1224615
i think you probably picked the worst thread for this question out of all of them. do you read or just type?
>>
>>1224620
I'm posting from my phone, I thought I was on the catalog page so I could make a thread, sorry.

>>1224619
>>
>>1224617
was his canned response given before or after he found out he wasn't going to get a real position
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.