[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jobs for the mathematically challenged

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

I'm trying to find a good job that pays well but doesn't require me to do an above average level of math. I wish I could do something like comp sci or being an engy but I'm mathematically challenged pls halp.
>>
>>1222735
Um... Literally anything that isn't directly math or engineering?
>>
You don't need math for Walmart. Just know that you'll be working 39 hours a week.
>>
>>1222735
accounting if you can add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
>>
>>1222735
I will tell you what you can't do and I will tell you what you should do.

Don't

Math, engineering, , physics comp sci (depends on the school, some schools have hard math in it but most courses math in it anyway), finance, actuary, economics, medicine has introductory levels of mathematics.

What you can do.
Accounting, teaching (kys if you choose this), psychology (this has some statistics), social work (kys once again).

Law, but, it's super competitive so idk if it's worth it.
>>
>>1222735
Any STEM degree is going to have at least calculus 1 as the minimum math needed for graduation, many will go far beyond that. So, just don't even go there if you don't want to do remedial classes until you can get to the higher maths.
For low math:
Look into architectural Studies, Urban Planning, all of the arts, anything in communications & Media, like 75% of the humanities and 50% social and behavioral sciences.
>>
But I don't wanna career that requires too much socialization. I mean I'm not antisocial, but I need a job where I can make more than 50000 a year without taking to long to make that kind of money.
>>
>>1222735

Any job worth 2 shits will require you to know upper level math.
>>
>>1222857
>I can't do math
>I don't want to socialize
>I want 50k+/yr without high amounts of schooling
Maybe you ought to think about setting that bar a bit lower. You basically can't meet all of those.
>>
>>1222735
Do BA Museum Studies with something like History minor, you have a broad degree and something focused, but good luck getting a Museum job so maybe bump History to a major.

Or a better idea probably is Art History/Marketing or BBA then intern or work in the art world for 2 years, now you can do MBA, now do art dealer, which is a cool job, or art entrepreneur and make your own studio or art sales business. You could be like Mr. Glass from Unbreakable and sell comic book cover originals.
>>
>>1222866
I can socialize. But nothing beyond a bachelor's. it's too much time and money.
>>
>>1222762
why would I kill myself for doing social work and teaching?
>>
>>1222892
Well I specifically mean jobs with social pressure like customer service. I just don't want a job where if I screw up with someone I could lose my job.
>>
>>1222878
I don't care for history or art. I know I'm being really picky but you have to understand I've been looking far and wide but I just can't find anything.
>>
>>1222746
I don't like customer service. Customers can be brutal and impatient and the management can be hellish.
>>
>>1222895
Crap life, no money, no satisfaction.
>>
>>1222735
After reading your replies OP, you are destined for being a nobody.
>>
>>1222927
I don't know about that, but like I told him, he has the bar set WAY too high.
>>
>>1222931
What the fuck is he going to do?
He's either going to have no degree and doing $7.50 work or he is going to a non-mathish degree and a non-customer serivce degree and then end up making $7.55
>>
>>1222735
The reason these jobs pay well is because almost nobody can do them. In this thread you're basically saying you want a job with good pay, but you don't want to acquire the skills necessary for it, or put in the time.
>>
>>1222910
> I've looked far and wide but cannot find anything
> has a mile long list of stupid criteria

You aren't going to get a 50k a year job if you don't want to learn/work hard make sacrifices and any job you like won't pay what you want, time to face it
>>
>>1222933
He's going to lower his fucking standards, and commit to something he said he didn't want to. Or that first thing you mentioned.

I'd say I believe in OP to do the manning up, but the signs aren't promising so far. OP, show us some grit somehow!
>>
>>1222944
I'm in college. Right now and I am completing my first year. I'm in business Management and the requirements are intro to stat for math. That doesn't seem too hard. I AM willing to put in the work to get a good career but I failed pre-calculus despite putting in notable effort which would get anyone else but me through the course. I'm not lazy and I did work a minimum wage job but I got terminated after 4 months for not performing well enough. It's so sad. But I'm not lazy. I don't mind stress either. Just not to a point where I will have severe anxiety trying to do said job.
>>
>>1222957
I think I'll just stick with this major. Man seriously like why does the job market only give a shit about left-minded people. I think with my right mind but oh i guess I'm gonna be stuck getting raped by a fast food manager for 440 years.
>>
>>1222973
>why are there only good paying jobs for those that contribute something

>believes in left mind-right mind dichotomy
>>
>>1222973
One more thing. FUCK STEM. There are so many autistic assholes who look down on people for thinking differently just because they can't do math. It's not for everyone! This should not be the only field for success.
>>
>>1222978
You don't decide what majors are valuable, the government doesn't decide what majors are valuable. The market decides.

Right now there's a demand for people who are good at math, because society has become so complex and there are so few who are good at math. Naturally engineers, mathematicians and computer scientists are gonna get a higher salary.

You could try going into something like Graphic Design or something I guess.
>>
>>1222978
>I'm not good at something useful so I am going to get irrationally upset at the fact that others are better than me and have more marketable skills than I do.

non-stem fags getting butthurt.

I was really bad at math, but, I stuck through it, got a tutor and studied 4 hours every day just on math. Now I'm an engineer, fuck you.

It's like you want to stay poor or something.
>>
>>1222982
I considered that. I might do it. But even that career doesn't pay much. It's an okay amount. But it takes awhile to establish.
>>
>>1222983
okay okay i'm sorry. but that's exactly what I did with pre-calculus (okay maybe it was 2.5 hours but whatever) and I went to a tutor every single day (even though my teacher was bitchy) and still failed.
>>
>>1222984
You could also go to law school or med school. In my country both of these educations have zero math.

Do something boring like Fiscal Law or something, I heard those guys make bank.
>>
>>1223001
This guy gets it. Some medicine has math though. My unis medicine has math classes as electives
>>
>>1222735
doctor, lawyer, accountant, pro athlete, singer/songwriter, manager at KFC, president of the united states

any of these sound like you?
>>
>>1222746
He said good job you fucc boi
>>
>>1222907
If you screw up with the guy paying your salary you WILL lose your job.
If you put as much effort into your work as you do in completing a thought that is liable to happen sooner rather than later
>>
>>1222866
>Datacenter Engineer
>42k/yr
>Flunked out of community college 2 years ago
>>
>>1222878
You need to be 18 to post here.

>>1222735
Consider doing an in demand trade.
>>
>>1222983 This kinda proves my point. If I go into engineering. I would have to work with assholes like you who call people non-stem fags and yet you make a lot of money doing a job that doesn't require interpersonal skills. At least I have that skill.
>>
>>1222735
You could do what I did and become a marketer, extremely easy concepts and a lot of job potential as long as you are willing to go off the beaten path.

That being said my school required calculus to get into the business school (and studying marketing). Since I vowed never to take calculus I became an art major. Just pick something your interested in and put a lot of yourself into it, network, and don't really care about grades (just focus on whether you are learning and taking every opportunity available to you). If you follow my advice chances are you will get a job you are interested in, being interested in a job lets you sink 60 hour weeks into it without losing morale... sinking 60 hours into most jobs will set you up on a career that is relatively high earning even if its not STEM.

The sad fact is most people are mediocre: rise above that mediocrity in your field.
>>
you know what fuck it. I'll just do a part-time school schedule just to focus on math so I can make a mechanical dildo to go fuck myself with.
>>
>>1222895
Looong hours. Shit money.
No life.
Kill yourself now save yourself the pain.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.