[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ebook writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: output_91ER0O.gif (78KB, 236x293px) Image search: [Google]
output_91ER0O.gif
78KB, 236x293px
Anybody here have any experience with writing and selling ebooks?

I'm currently writing a simple ebook on learning to program (emphasizing the "learning" part), and it will probably end up around 30-40k words.

I'm an ok writer but from what I've seen, what matters is the marketing strategy more than the content. So anyone here have any advice on how to properly market ebboks?

I'm looking into affiliate websites like clickbank. What else should I be doing?

>inb4 invest in knee-pads and mouthwash
>>
>>1222397

Sell on Amazon, do the whole SEO shit, good cover, make it free for a limited time so your "sales rank" increases, this makes it go closer to the top of search results. I've heard that something in the $3-4 range is a good target price for shorter ebooks from unknown authors.

Of course you'll want to do it on some language that's popular. Python, Javascript, Swift, whatever. Make a book on writing mobile apps. Tons of people dream about making the next Snapchat, sell them a dream.
>>
>>1222729
Well my book is more on learning how to learn than on any particular language. I teach the fundamental concepts of programming but using plain English and pseudocode. I figure there are hundreds of books out there for any given language but very few on how to actually learn those languages efficiently.
>>
>>1222397
>I'm currently writing a simple ebook on learning to program (emphasizing the "learning" part), and it will probably end up around 30-40k words

In what language?

What credentials do you have to be giving any advice?

There's thousands of books on programming by people with Phds that people torrent. Why would anyone want your shitty book?
>>
>>1223665
Its not on any particular language, its a primer on using existing resources and learning methods to efficiently learn programming (or anything for that matter). Unless you meant the language of the book itself, which is English.

I have no certifications or qualifications, but the method I detail is one I used myself, to learn 3 programming languages (Python, C++ and Java) and is based on some actual scientific studies done on learning.

People would want my shitty book because its written for the average person in plain English, instead of as a textbook written for undergraduates. Many people seeking to learn programming do not fall in the latter demographic, so I think there is some demand for a book like this. Its a resource I certainly would've liked to have had when I was learning.
>>
build an audience by giving information away for free and then sell to them

the first ebook might have to be a smaller winner than expected - like an incentive for a newsletter subscription
>>
>>1223835
there are plenty of ways to learn to program

brb being video taught Python by a stanford professor on my phone via Udacity

but there's still probably money to be made
reply to my thread to talk more

>>1222920
>>
>>1223857
Yeah I'm thinking about this as well. However, I fee like its just easier to sign up with a website like clickbank which handles the marketing portion for me. Granted there is now a middle man, but I figure several people marketing my product will do better than me alone. And in the meantime I can learn more about marketing.

I do have a money-back guarantee on the book which means it is "technically free".
>>
How do you get enough traffic for giving out freebies to be worthwhile?

What would it take to get a hundred views a day on a site structured as an info-blog?

(i.e. a site that doles out information about products and how to use them in an engaging personal style.)
>>
>>1225633
I think the key to freebies is to get emails which allows you to build an email list of clients you can send more info to.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.