[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why haven't we put these fuckers on windows and car-windows yet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: solar.jpg (11KB, 330x153px) Image search: [Google]
solar.jpg
11KB, 330x153px
Why haven't we put these fuckers on windows and car-windows yet?
>>
>>1222024
Because those fuckers aren't transparent and you no longer have windows.
>>
>>1222030
/thread
>>
>>1222085
car-roofs
>>
>>1222024
Expensive, not cost-efficient. It looks bad.
>>
apparently we can power the entire word with a 500 000 kilometer squared area of solar panels. someone should do this and own the words electricity
>>
>>1222123
We sure could... back in 1937! Now, if every human occupied parcel of land was covered end to end, we could cut our dependence on combustibles by 45%.

Go nuclear, or die.
>>
Niggers are going to steal them desu

They're expensive to install and if it's not attached into the car, its as good as gone
>>
>>1222030

Transparent solar panels have been invented, including ones embedded in window glass.
>>
>>1222215
And those are even worse at turning light into electricity than normal PV.. and normal PV isn't great it yet either.
>>
Because it's a meme energy source.
>>
>>1222328
Better than windmills, way less maintenance.
>>
>>1222123
>>1222134
I did the math. His numbers actually check out. You COULD power the world with 500k square KILOMETERS of solar panels. Now, it's worth pointing out that that is an area of land about the size of Spain. The basic google search I did pegs the raw manufacturing cost of the cheapest solar panel at $250 USD per meter, not including things like shipping or installation. This means just to manufacture that many solar panels would cost 125 trillion (with a T) dollars. In case you aren't sure how much money that is the Gross World Product was 107.5 trillion in 2014. Again, that's just the price to manufacture assuming the market prices for things Silicon are totally unaffected by this event.

Green freaks may feel all comfy putting a solar panel on their roof but the cold hard facts is that you cannot run the world on solar power, because we as human beings cannot afford it.
>>
>>1222423
Just like build four thousand 100sqkm solar panel rafts and put them all over the ocean near populous coastlines; also build like 100000sqkm worth of solar farms across deserts like Nevada & the Gobi.

No big deal.

Or, heck, you could just cover EVERY square inch of generally-southerly and unobstructed building facade & roof which isn't windows or utility ports, and that would probably cover it right there.

>inb4 solar roads
>>
They have put them on cars. I saw one at walmart. It looks bad. I have to admit I wouldn't mind it on a car that already looks rugged like a hummer 1. Cuz it is annoying as fuck when you leave your car light on and the battery dies.
>>
What's the point having it on a car, the alternator is running anyway. The savings would be minimal.a building would be a good idea, sure...
>>
>>1222215
Tell me genius, how efficient will a solar panel be if the energy you're trying to capture and convert is able to penetrate through to allow transparency?
>>
>>1222423
you guys are dumb as shit - you're losing electricity as it travels to its destination, otherwise every country would just have a centralized megacity filled with coal and nuclear plants and the electric grid would branch from this.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=105&t=3

we lose 6% just having it done locally
>>
>>1222658
>>1222316

The window panels are 10% efficient, while average PVs are 15% and the best, really expensive ones are around 25%. They convert non-visible wavelengths only.

> they're not worth the cost

Sure, but in a year they will be. PV prices have dropped exponentially for over a decade.
>>
>>1223722
i'm guessing economies of scale matters here too
if demand goes up more efficient production gets in place
technology advances we get more efficiency
etc
>>
US census Stats on # of households dictate everyone could have installation/panel paid first year, feed grid, & give back $ to families with just 10% roof space covered....A on term paper, but professor response was that lobbyists would shoot it down....Austin, TX has program going though for businesses.
>>
The technology is not there yet. It boils down to that the solar panels we have are not very efficient.
>>
They're not effective enough and it looks bad.

I'll stick to my research on muon-catalyzed nuclear fusion thank you very much.
>>
>>1223750
>everyone could have installation/panel paid first year
I thought it was like 20 years
>>
>invest in sunw post split about $4 per stock
>got down to 2.8$ and hovering there for long time
>lost little over 100 bucks due to baby'sfirst investment -tier

s-s-solar panels will rule the mark r-r-right guise?
>>
>>1222116
solar cars are demonstrated to be a stupid idea here: https://what-if.xkcd.com/17/
>>
>>1222423

I would begin by making mandatory that every new building has solar panels.

And existing building have to install solar panels within the next five years.

Solar panels may be bought via a loan, and interests on loan would be deductible from taxes.
>>
>>1224763
Solar Panels can't even replace the energy required to manufacture them in their average lifespan.

They are, as of right now, a literal energy drain on the system.

The real future of energy is Nuclear Fusion. Once that happens all other forms of energy will be obsolete.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.